Forum Index > Trail Talk > About that orange paint/flagging across WT3/2/1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed May 04, 2022 2:00 pm 
Ya theres stuff that was skiable not long ago thats completely overgrown now. Maybe i am misremembering something but i could have sworn the cut areas yodelin used to be kindof open and are now pretty thick? Anyway, enjoy the WT views for the next decade!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fedor

Fedor
PostWed May 04, 2022 2:28 pm 
solohiker wrote:
On the opposite side of the spectrum I hiked to Grand Prospect from Snoqualmie Point last year. It had been 7 or so years since I was last on that trail. The trees were so large in the clear cut area I hardly recognized it. I kept telling my son I was hiking with “we’re going to get to a clear-cut area pretty soon” but it never really came. Stuff grows back.
The clearcut is south/se of Grand Prospect.

solohiker

solohiker
PostWed May 04, 2022 3:33 pm 
That’s a different one. I was referring to the area southwest of Stan’s overlook which you pass through when going to GP from Snoqualmie Point. That area looked a lot like your photo 10 years ago, but not now.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed May 04, 2022 4:20 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I haven't checked the numbers, but didn't someone say the logging area was 90 acres somewhere?
Just eyeballing id guess 250 or so. Still a small fraction of the entire park.

Fedor

Fedor
PostWed May 04, 2022 4:28 pm 
My mistake, I thought that might be the case. Here's an excellent brief history of Rattlesnake Mountain: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-04-17-2382689325 Sorry to get off the topic of Tiger.

NorthBen

NorthBen
PostWed May 04, 2022 6:18 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Just eyeballing id guess 250 or so.
Don't trust your eyeballs too much, it's around 90 acres: https://www.issaquahalps.org/articles/2021/8/24/tiger-mountain-harvest-update-weyerhaeuser-to-open-west-tiger-mountain-ownership-for-permanent-public-access

Fedor

Fedor
PostThu May 05, 2022 7:06 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Where? The mountains around Middle Fork? (Si, Teneriffe, Washington?) If so, I don't think I agree.
solohiker wrote:
I wouldn’t exactly call the views afforded to be “unparalleled in the Seattle-Metro area” but I would not say “creepy apocalyptic” either. It’s Tiger mountain. Honestly I kind of like the newly opened window-view from the tops of all three WT peaks, but there’s something about a view that results from tree removal compared with a view you earn by climbing above tree line.
I've thoroughly enjoyed the views provided by the clearcuts on Tiger this winter during my many hikes there. I live right off of I90 and love the convenience of Tiger. It's amazing to be able to quickly drive to High Point, head up Cable Line and be on top of WT2 in about an hour. It's been surprising to find so much solitude on One View, Hidden Forest, Poo-Top and a few other trails. It's too bad there are the antenna arrays on WT1 that really detract and that darn beeping sound(generator?). That said, I don't think it's on par with the mountains around Middle Fork / exit 38. When I hike around there, I feel like I'm in the mountains, albeit low elevation mountains. Whereas Tiger's peaks feels like the foothills.

zimmertr
Fedor

Fedor
PostThu May 05, 2022 7:18 pm 
I suppose the feeling of being in the mountains I mentioned is separate from the views being debated. I bet the clear-cuts on Tiger will be filled with beautiful fireweed and buzzing with bees and butterflies over the next five or so Summers. That ought to make it a lot more visually appealing.

zimmertr
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 8:15 am 
Did the Cable/TMT/K3/Preston/WT1/WT2/WT3/Cable loop last week and there's been a whole lot of planting going on - many baby firs now dotting the clear cut. They will hopefully benefit from the wet, cool spring. In addition, the TMT trail which circumvents WT2 on the western side (beginning just past the gate/low spot between WT1/WT2 and ending on the descent between WT2/WT3) has been reestablished and is signed. We saw 13 cedars with extensive bear damage on TMT, I've never seen that here before.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 8:21 am 
There's been a lot of bear activity lately near where the TMT connects with the WT3 trail near the parking lot. On Tuesday when I was heading up the WT3 trail near there an entire tree just fell over about 100' off the trail to my right. Must have been that bear? There wasn't any wind at all.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
There's been a lot of bear activity lately near where the TMT connects with the WT3 trail near the parking lot. On Tuesday when I was heading up the WT3 trail near there an entire tree just fell over about 100' off the trail to my right. Must have been that bear? There wasn't any wind at all.
I think we spotted that same bear ~3 weeks ago coming down Sec Line/Nook (by Pipsee's). She had a yearling cub in tow. The damage we saw was "cambium harvesting", which I'd never seen on Tiger before. It was exclusively on cedar trees.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 2:33 pm 
I’ve seen a couple trees fall over in no wind conditions. The first was a spruce on the Fraser Plateau in very cold, clear conditions. Most recently a red alder at Dupont. It is a weird thing to see.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 4:07 pm 
Did the Highpoint east to west over WT2 and 3 7.5 mi. Tops were stocked in and misty. We saw the small firs but noted no brush growth on top except spring beauty on south side of WT3, strange. Wonder if they sprayed defoliants before planting as is regularly done in BC?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn