Forum Index > Trail Talk > ONP - Grand Pass via Grand Lake or Lillian Ridge?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 8:32 am 
Went hiking with an older friend of mine last year hoping to make it to Grand Pass and camp for a couple of nights. My friend has a weak leg due to an accident when he was younger. And in addition to that, last year his boot sole blew out! We made it to Moose Lake and spent a night and then finished the trip at Salt Creek Campground. We're trying again this year for Grand Pass, and I'm wondering what the difficulty level of Lillian Ridge is. In a brief chat with a ranger when I acquired permits, he said Lillian Ridge doesn't have a well-marked trial to Grand Pass, and that there'd be a little route finding. Could anyone share their experience?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hbb

hbb
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 11:13 am 
The ranger's assessment is accurate. Lillian Ridge is not particularly difficult, but there is a fair amount of scree and loose rock, and a few Class 3 moves between Low Pass and Grand Pass. Normally by the time the road is open most of the ridge is melted out, but there will still be some pockets of snow early season, especially towards Grand Pass.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 am 
Taking the trail to Grand Pass is pretty straightforward... It's a trail, and a pretty good one at that. Lillian Ridge to Grand Pass is a little more interesting... There is a trail for lots of it, but the terrain is steep in parts and chossy. We took the ridge up to the summit of Moose. Getting from Moose to Grand Pass Peak was the trickiest. Steep and chossy going down Moose, and some class 3 getting up to Grand Pass Peak. I think you can find a route that bypasses Grand Pass Peak and just heads to the pass that might be easier. If you do a lot of off trail scrambling, it's not too bad. Another consideration is water. I don't remember any water sources on Lillian Ridge at all, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, if your balance is poor and you're not sure footed, it's probably better to just do the trail. I'll see if I can add some pictures tonight.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 1:10 pm 
I have been out as far as Low Pass a couple of times but have not been all the way to Grand View Peak. Trip report I posted here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7977046 If you search in trip reports here for Lillian Ridge there may some reports where they hiked the ridge all the way to Grand View Peak.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 2:39 pm 
Thanks guys. Sounds fun but perhaps not the best of the two options given my friend's abilities. Would love to see some additional photos awilsondc! And thanks for the TR link reststep.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Apr 26, 2022 6:57 pm 
Well, turns out I didn't have many good photos. But, this was one of the steep chossy trail sections I was thinking of...
Chossy trail
Chossy trail
A few more pics
Early Lillian Ridge
Early Lillian Ridge
Lots of this to walk on
Lots of this to walk on
A nice portion
A nice portion
Talus and boulders
Talus and boulders
Nearing Grand Pass
Nearing Grand Pass
What did strike me, going through the photos, is that Lillian Ridge was definitely rugged compared to the trail down through the lakes. Given your friend's limitations, I definitely think the trail is the right choice.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostWed Apr 27, 2022 11:42 am 
awilsondc wrote:
Given your friend's limitations, I definitely think the trail is the right choice.
I think that's what we'll choose to do, thanks. The trail down to the lakes was still quite pretty! Smaller rocks, though.
Note to self: check the integrity of you and your hiking partners' boots before hiking!

awilsondc
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Apr 27, 2022 4:26 pm 
This is the regular trail just below Grand Pass on the Grand Creek side. Pretty steep and choosy, but easily passable. A bit of the ball bearings on hard pan feel. Going down the Cameron Creek side it turns into a goat path for a good portion.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostThu Apr 28, 2022 11:05 am 
Cool! I'm told there is a campsite or two up by a tarn up there that is kind of off the beaten path and a good wind protected location. Hope we can find it.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon May 02, 2022 1:51 am 
bccarlso wrote:
Cool! I'm told there is a campsite or two up by a tarn up there that is kind of off the beaten path and a good wind protected location. Hope we can find it.
No wind sheltered spots at the pass, and it can get really, really windy. I think there is a sheltered spot up by Grand View peak somewhere, but at the pass it's full exposure. Fun if you have the right tent. Long night if you don't.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon May 02, 2022 10:00 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
No wind sheltered spots at the pass, and it can get really, really windy.
I thought the ranger said there may be a spot down by the Tarn, looks like on the Northern downward side of the pass. But I could be wrong - planning on checking in with them for more details closer to the trip. However, we and the tents are up for some wind! I agree, it can be fun.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon May 02, 2022 10:51 am 
There are 3 decent campsites at the pass, one is near the tarn. But I wouldn't consider it sheltered. The sheltered one I know about is up around Grand View Paak, and I think permit-wise it is not considered one of the Grand Pass campsites.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue May 03, 2022 1:10 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
There are 3 decent campsites at the pass, one is near the tarn. But I wouldn't consider it sheltered
OK - thanks for the info. We'll be ready for some wind.

bbqiguana

bbqiguana
PostWed May 11, 2022 12:06 pm 
I've done Lillian ridge several times now and, as others have said, it is very exposed. Watch out for bad weather, but if you have made to it Moose Peak before then you got very close to Low Pass. The ridge from Low Pass to Grand Pass gets gnarlier and I might advise taking the trail down from Low Pass to near Gladys Lake and gaining Grand Pass from Upper Grand Valley. You only lose 250' vertical feet and then it is a straight forward 850' foot ascent to the pass. This is essentially the same loss/gain in elevation as going over Grand Pass Peak via the full ridge route.

coldrain108, Slugman