Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Americans are moving out of urban counties like never before
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat May 14, 2022 2:03 am 
I wonder if customers to Sterling Ridge understand they’ve moved to the wildland urban interface fire zone?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Anne Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 14, 2022 9:53 am 
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 14, 2022 4:41 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Randito wrote:
Biggest Reasons Why Americans Are Leaving Big Cities
That's a joke and you aren't funny, here is sometingh more realistic... https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisdorsey/2021/03/17/americas-mass-migration-intensifies-as-leftugees-flee-blue-states-and-counties-for-red/?sh=487fdd583146
I think youre right CJ. I fear they will simply bring their mental illness with them and begin the process of ruining the new area they've moved to. Im afraid they are to stupid to realize they destroyed the area theyve escaped from with their warped political policeis.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

Chief Joseph
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun May 15, 2022 12:21 am 
Sad to see that BPJ has completely lost his mind, as well as his manners. This is what NW Hikers has become, a place for brainwashed semi-literates to threaten to start killing people.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun May 15, 2022 12:57 am 
Freedom of speech cuts both ways and also the main reason that political issues don't work in this forum. Peace.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 15, 2022 7:54 am 
Slugman wrote:
Sad to see that BPJ has completely lost his mind, as well as his manners. This is what NW Hikers has become, a place for brainwashed semi-literates to threaten to start killing people.
In the end its good to know there are things we can always count on! Sluggo being a name calling anarchist. Ive taken three IQ tests. I know how smart I am. Im smart enough to know that these people are running from the very thing (political cause and effect) that they are responsible for implementing! Funny how sluggo see's what he wants to see. I never mentioned killing anyone. That's what he WANTS to think so thats what he sees.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
altasnob

altasnob
PostSun May 15, 2022 8:07 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Im smart enough to know that these people are running from the very thing (political cause and effect) that they are responsible for implementing!
I'm confused. I thought the narrative being pushed was conservatives from liberal places, like Seattle metro, are moving to places like Coure D'Alene and Sandpoint, to escape liberal politics. But you are saying it is actually liberals fleeing Seattle to these locations?

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostSun May 15, 2022 11:02 am 
Red or blue? Not talking conservative or liberal, but the color of Loctite that should inevitably be used on this thread.

zimmertr, Cyclopath  Navy salad
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSun May 15, 2022 12:38 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
This thread title should read...."Smart people are moving out of urban counties while the getting is good".
I don't think you need to worry about smart people moving to Idaho though. What smart person would want to be driving around with license plates that say FAMOUS POTATOES? Is that really the most positive thing that can be said about Idaho? Idaho: come for the famous potatoes, stay for the lesser-know rutabagas. Of course people could tape over the "atoes" like some people in Wisconsin did with the "to" when their plates said ESCAPE TO WISCONSIN. It wouldn't be accurate but at least it wouldn't be pathetic, and it might be self-fulfilling. Maybe it's time to think about a new motto for Idaho plates. They could have a write-in-contest like New Jersey did a few years ago, although in that case it didn't quite work out. The most-suggested motto was YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?. so they ended up keeping the old one. Anyway, my entry for Idaho's new motto is "militias to fit every budget."

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep

Roly Poly, kiliki, RayD, Shred  zimmertr
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun May 15, 2022 1:17 pm 
wow this is getting really heady, or is it headly?? all I posted was a change in population. was never any reason given as to why. could be a bazillion things, bad breath, to many police, not enough parking places. dunno how idaho potatoes got involved, or what is a red or blue state anyway? is there an orange state? I wonder what kind of responses would be posted if the title were more griz than black bear inhabiting an area...perhaps something like, not enough rainbow trout, or the yellow finch population is impacted????

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon May 16, 2022 9:02 am 
altasnob wrote:
But you are saying it is actually liberals fleeing Seattle to these locations?
It is kind of confusing without the full Fox News meme to glue everything together. That meme rolls together two entirely different phenomena, and presents them as a single, third phenomena, the liberals fleeing burning cities. Meanwhile back in the real world, most of the urban-to-rural flight involves blue collar folks who simply cannot compete anymore in the desirable urban locations like Seattle and the Bay Area. Those people are moving to Lubbock, literally and figuratively, where they will be getting the government services that they are willing to pay for. The second demographic is people who have no problem competing, but are no longer tethered to an office or a specific location and can live anywhere they want. There was a huge spike in these folks moving urban-to-rural caused by the pandemic, enough to overwhelm in-migration temporarily to the extent that it caused the population of King County to tick down slightly for a couple years. This is the demographic that transformed places like Jackson Hole, Moab, and Bend starting decades ago. And yes, they will influence politics. That's why the county that contains Moab now has a majority Native American County Council. The Forbes article that CJ linked to is entirely about this second demographic, although the author apparently watches Fox News and seems quite confused about why these things are happening. The people who move to Sterling Heights were not previously living in downtown apartments that got burned down by angry brown people.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

kiliki, RayD, coldrain108
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 16, 2022 10:20 am 
Some stuff I was reading about people moving around indicated that urban/rural migrations are increasing political polarization. E.g. that conservative folks living in urban areas are migrating to rural areas to have similar minded folks as neighbors. With a similar trend the other way, e.g. progressive minded folks moving to Austinfrom more rural parts of Texas. So places like Boise or Bozeman are becoming "redder" and Seattle and it's suburbs "bluer". So people want to be comfortable in their own little echo chambers and not have put any effort into understanding what interests they might have in common with other folks. In the "cable news" business, big money is being made by portraying "the other side" as evil and bent on destroying America. Of late there as been little concern about whether what is presented in such "news shows" has any basis in actual events. I think one firm recently defended themselves against a civil lawsuit by claiming "no reasonable person would take our reporting as factual". Probably best to assume all politicians and pundits are lying and trying to manipulate you.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon May 30, 2022 8:37 am 
"The Great Reshuffling" https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/30/homes/us-home-prices-remote-work/index.html I suspect that the home office angle is a bit overplayed in this article. I think folks wanted a better living space because they were stuck there 24-7, with the need for a home office being a minor component of that. Austin is probably the nicest town in Texas, but I still don't get why it is so popular. Bike lanes and brewpubs I guess, because like everywhere else in Texas, there is little public land and just the tiniest fraction of outdoor recreation that we enjoy here.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

kiliki
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon May 30, 2022 12:19 pm 
Historically, the biggest driver of demographic shifts has been economic, and I think it's still mostly that way. No work in Pennsyltucky? Move to a large urban area with job opportunities. The growth in large west coast cities in the last couple decades was fueled by the tech industry which drove up housing prices like crazy, and subsequently started an exodus: people on fixed incomes who can't afford the taxes any longer, and the regular working-class folk who can no longer afford the rents here, much less purchase a house. The pandemic and the disgust over the social disintegration of urban coast cities (I can only speak reliably about Seattle) has pushed another certain % to suburbs, or wherever those who can work remotely, want to go that matches their lifestyle preferences. The cost of purchasing a home has been driven up partially by demand, but also the constraints put on builders. First there's the pandemic-exacerbated supply shortages. I heard through a reliable source that one developer of a townhouse complex at the corner of my street paid an extra $500K to the city, the current tax required for him to not have to sell an unknown # of the units as "affordable housing". (Whatever that means in today's market.) The general contractor working on the project next door to me said it cost him an extra $60K for private security on a project he was doing in Georgetown because thieves broke in and stole wiring and plumbing, more than once. So there's all that expense on top of the high demand creating bidding wars. An old (1930) but remodeled SF home a few homes down from me listed for $1M and sold for $265 above the asking price. All the density increases the city could permit won't change that arithmetic. Then there is NWH member Iron, who, after much researching and member queries, moved with his family to Kimberley. I was envious given that I've wanted to move to Canada since my student days at The Banff Centre; I was never able to pull it off for various reasons. Despite my Canuckophilia, I thought Iron was over-reacting a bit given his primary reason for wanting to leave the US. However, given the events on the national scene this month, it no longer seems like an over-reaction. And that's probably about all I or anyone else in this thread should say about that, if we want to keep it open.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 30, 2022 1:42 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
The growth in large west coast cities in the last couple decades was fueled by the tech industry which drove up housing prices like crazy, and subsequently started an exodus: people on fixed incomes who can't afford the taxes any longer, and the regular working-class folk who can no longer afford the rents here, much less purchase a house. The pandemic and the disgust over the social disintegration of urban coast cities (I can only speak reliably about Seattle) has pushed another certain % to suburbs, or wherever those who can work remotely, want to go that matches their lifestyle preferences
Not suburbs, but yes to everything else. Cities are great in their way, truly rural areas are great in their way, suburbs are the worst of both worlds.