Forum Index > The Trading Post > Need pack/bag for 4 yr old
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostSat May 14, 2022 4:45 pm 
Howdy y'all, I don't think I've posted in 10 years or so but I've lurked here and there. Good to see many familiar names about still! It's time to get my boy into the mountains and I need a sleeping bag and pack for him to carry it in. I'll carry the rest! Anyone have any used gear for a little tyke just starting out? Thanks

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 14, 2022 9:42 pm 
Have you gone on day hikes yet? What about car camping? Anyway, one framework that has been effective with my grandkids , who profess to find hiking "boring" is to instead go for a picnic , that involves walking , sometimes a considerable distance, to the picnic spot. There are a plethora of kids day packs suitable for a four year old. But I think you'll be hard pressed to find an overnight pack for anyone under 8. I personally would opt to have the kid carry their "comfort object" if they still use one, a favorite toy, some clothes and a snack over a single large item like the sleeping bag. Also for adults the rule of thumb is to keep pack weight below 25% of body weight, for kids you'll want a significantly lower percentage. When I took my kids on their 1st overnight, I choose Hyas Lake , figuring that the two mile distance and minimal elevation gain would work well. However I failed to notice or fully understand the impact of "Skeeter Creek" that is crossed partway to the lake. This caused a major meltdown for my daughter both on the way in and the way out. I did my 1st overnight to Melakwa Lake just after my 7th birthday , and got major grief from my older sisters who had to wait until they were 8. I carried my sleeping bag and clothes in a "Trapper Nelson" my dad carried everything else, but we had no tent or cook stove, just a visquine tarp for shelter and a #10 coffee can with a coat hanger bail for cooking.

iron

iron
PostSun May 15, 2022 4:03 pm 
i ended up buying feathered friends flickrs with the full realization mom and dad will be carrying them for the next 5+ years until kids are closer to pre-teens. expensive, but the weight, bulk, and warmth is close enough to any kid-specific bag that it really didn't make sense to buy multiple bags over the years. we'll have these bags for their entire childhood and i can attest they're awesome. also made in seattle, so bonus to help keep a local company in biz for as long as possible.

KascadeFlat
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed May 25, 2022 8:10 pm 
Are you still looking for an overnight pack? I have one that's gathering dust, I'm not sure what ages/sizes of kids it fits - I can try to figure that out and post a photo if you are interested.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
jditty

jditty
PostFri May 27, 2022 10:36 pm 
I might be interested in that pack, if it’s still available. I’m taking my 5-yr-old granddaughter on her first (of hopefully many!) backpacking trip this summer.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Jun 01, 2022 11:10 am 
Whatever you get, just make sure you're comfortable carrying it in your hands after your kid decides he doesn't want to carry it any longer!

jditty
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jun 03, 2022 6:28 pm 
Mtnwalker and jditty, I'm sorry it took me so long to reply to your enquiries. I have the REI Passage 40, which is no longer sold, but here's the info page about it: https://www.rei.com/product/808325/rei-co-op-passage-40-pack-kids It's in good shape, not delaminating inside, pretty clean, we only used it a couple of times. Make me an offer if you want it, whatever your budget is. I'm happy to meet in the general Seattle/north end area (I'm in Lynnwood) but would prefer not to have to ship it. I have photos if you need them.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
jditty

jditty
PostFri Jun 03, 2022 10:19 pm 
Thanks, hikermama - that pack is huge! Bigger than the one I use for multi-day trips lol. I found something much smaller on Amazon but thanks anyway!