Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring 2022 More trail head break ins.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fedor

Fedor
PostThu May 12, 2022 6:34 pm 
https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-05-09-2446278008
Quote:
Note that our car window was smashed in the parking lot of the Uplands Trailhead (Cowiche Canyon Preserve) - did not mare the day too much, but disappointing and a head's up to others smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 15, 2022 1:29 pm 
Just happened across this report of an incident in the city. It's starting to sound like organized gangs here. They have a finger on the barely discernable pulse of the SPD and know they can loot with virtual impunity. We might actually have more luck getting county/FS LE to get involved in a planned TH sting if hikers give them a proposal with stats and citizen participation. Something to seriously think about. 12 break-ins, one Diamond parking lot

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun May 15, 2022 9:05 pm 
A reader comment to this article on accessible trails for folks in wheelchairs mentions many break-ins in both lots for the Padilla Bay Trail near Mt. Vernon.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostMon May 16, 2022 7:28 am 
Good article- some proactive folks in Whatcom Co. https://www.cascadiadaily.com/news/2022/apr/20/fed-up-with-trailhead-smashgrabs/

'we don't have time for a shortcut'

CS, Anne Elk
Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostMon May 16, 2022 8:46 am 
Snowdog wrote:
Good article- some proactive folks in Whatcom Co. https://www.cascadiadaily.com/news/2022/apr/20/fed-up-with-trailhead-smashgrabs/
"Kaminski, 66, fared much worse five years ago at the Douglas Fir Campground lot off Mount Baker Highway. He reported losing five expensive watches and an 1879 $5 gold piece. “They cleaned me out,” Kaminski said. Kaminski and his wife have resorted to “doing laps” at Ferndale’s VanderYacht Park instead of being away from their car too long. They will now only park in a spot visible from a road. Thieves hit Jeri Mumma’s car a few weeks ago while she enjoyed a short hike off Y Road near her home close to Lake Whatcom. The prowlers smashed a window, damaged a doorknob and absconded with Mumma’s teacher’s bag from Lummi Nation School that contained tax information." And this is why they keep coming back to these trailheads.

Vesper Peak

Chief Joseph
CS

CS
PostMon May 16, 2022 7:22 pm 
FTA:
Quote:
All of this left me wondering how I escaped a break-in while spending hundreds of hours in remote areas in California, an overpopulated state with systematic crime. I left quarters in cup holders, a box of emergency gear in the back and compact discs in the glove compartment.
Same for me, oddly never had an issue in California either. I just took normal precautions. Possibly it helps that many trails pretty far from major highways.

EJ

EJ
PostTue May 17, 2022 11:33 am 
Heather Lake on the Mountain Loop: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2022-05-17-5322418410 (apparently the terrible road was no deterrent)

CS

CS
PostTue May 17, 2022 11:50 am 
Some communities have cameras recoding license plates of people who drive in and out so they can narrow down suspicious activity and suspects. Seems like the upside of having THs along the highway would be it’s also easier to cover the area with fewer cameras. E.g. like this https://www.marinij.com/2022/03/06/tiburon-approves-more-license-plate-scanning-cameras/amp/

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue May 17, 2022 1:00 pm 
EJ wrote:
Heather Lake on the Mountain Loop:
Quote: "All cars broken into at the trailhead!! This was a beautiful hike but unfortunately came off the trail to see that every car in the parking lot (about 10 cars) had their windows busted out. ... We called it in to the sheriff's office and she told me we were their 20th call of the day, the crooks had hit every trailhead along Mountain Highway."

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 17, 2022 2:51 pm 
EJ wrote:
(apparently the terrible road was no deterrent)
Terrible road yes, but close to the highway. I live about 2 miles away, I should set up a lemonaide stand and hang out.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 17, 2022 3:03 pm 
Even Bill Maher has weighed in on the topic recently. Puts the TH break-ins into the bigger picture of current property crime trends. The security camera footage of urban daytime store window smash-n-grabs is astounding. There's also something happening in LA called "follow home" robberies. From this monologue link - a sign posted on a car window: "Dear Mr. Criminal: I hope this note finds you well. Please don't break my windows. Thanks, you're the best. Please, there's a Walgreens around the corner if you want to hit that."

CS
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 17, 2022 3:36 pm 
We really need public transit to trailheads so we don't have to leave our cars unattended in the woods for hours or days at a time.

breadcrumb
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun May 22, 2022 8:56 pm 
Looks like the trailhead junkies visited cable line recently. About 8 new shattered glass piles since the last time i was there(about 10 days ago). Its sad that we live in a society that condones this.

Fedor

Fedor
PostMon May 23, 2022 5:20 pm 
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon May 23, 2022 5:50 pm 
As has a happened before a few or an individual doing most of the break ins