cdestroyer
PostMon May 16, 2022 9:43 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon May 16, 2022 10:02 am 
I know when I was moving my dad to different assisted living facility several years ago the director spoke then of the difficulty of being fully staffed. The challenge at that time was that Seattle had implemented their $15 minimum and the facility was in Kirkland and "corporate" set the pay rates he could offer to less than that. Currently I hire a house cleaner that comes every other week. We pay her $150 and it takes her 4-5 hours. So that's about $35/hour. My elderly aunt was in a motor vehicle collision a couple months ago and for various reasons went from the hospital to home care --- she requires 24/7 care (she is bed bound) -- at about $1000 per day She is exhausting her funds rather quickly. Assisted living and skilled nursing in her area is so understaffed (30:1 patients to staff ) that her doctors felt those were death sentence options.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 16, 2022 10:14 am 
My mom is in her 70s and lives about 2.5 hours away. She has assistance a couple days a week. It's hard work for the assistant. There's liability involved, they could get sued, they could get sick, etc. $20 an hour unfortunately isn't that much in 2022 versus living expenses. Especially since commute time isn't paid and gas is $5 a gallon. My mom did my diapers when I was too young to take care of myself, making sure she has help now isn't a luxury or optional or anything. I feel like every elderly person who needs help has earned it.

moonspots, Navy salad
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon May 16, 2022 2:08 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
I am amazed at the lack of services people are willing to do no matter how much it pays. I have listed for a parttime housekeeper to help for an hour a week. I have offered to pay $20 for that hours work.
How would only one hour of work for $20 be worth anyone's time? Do you live in a city? How much time would they spend driving to get to your house? Housekeeping services around me have a minimum time, like 4 hours, and going rates are $50-90 an hour.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue May 17, 2022 6:38 am 
also

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 17, 2022 4:39 pm 
Well I think it's good to ask about these things to get perspective from other people. One hour of housecleaning won't accomplish a whole lot, and most people who clean houses for a living wouldn't come for just an hour no matter what. Half-day, maybe. Many housecleaners want regular customers, too - more predictable income.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostTue May 17, 2022 8:41 pm 
Are you asking about Washington state? There are different types of residential CARE. I work at DSHS and work with Residential facilities that accept MediCaid (pay a 4 CARE when a person exhausts their funds). U can go onto the DSHS website and go to adult services. I am willing to chat with u also if you want to pm me. CARE is very expensive..and there are some really great providers out there and of course there are really awful places too.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams