Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old road plans on the Olympic Peninsula
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
domaz

domaz
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 6:08 pm 
I've read a few bits and pieces about road plans that were planned and then abandoned, one seems to suggest Obstruction Point road was meant to go on all the way to the Elwha. I also read, I believe in "100 Classic Hikes..", that the Staircase trail was meant to go quite a distance as well but was abandoned because of the war. Curious to know if any other roads on the Peninsula, had been planned or partially completed?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 6:35 pm 
It is my understanding that the plan was to extend the Obstruction Point to Deer Park. I don't about going to the Elwha. Way back in the 50's there was talk about a road up the Dose over Anderson Pass and out the Quinault. As far as I know there was never any actual planning but not sure about that. Back in the 50's you could drive up the Skokomish River above Staircase all the way to the Flapjack Lakes turnoff. Don't know when they closed that off at Staircase.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

RodF
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 25, 2022 8:27 pm 
The Obstruction Point Road did go to the Elian back in the 50’s before the Hurricane Ridge road was built. The road was changed to a trail when Hurricane Ridge was built. If you look closely you still see traces it was steep switchbacks. When I was a kid we went up it until it was blocked by snow. It must have been in the late 50’s. The original plan was to extend it to Deer Park which had a proposed ski area but they stopped at Obstruction point as it was an Obstruction. doh.gif The road went to Flapjack Lakes turnoff into the 1970’s.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 am 
I vaguely recall reading something about there being an idea to build a road up the Elwha and out the North Fork Quinault. I might have read about it in one of Robert L. Wood’s books. There are a couple of trail guides that say the road used to extend about a mile or so beyond the current NF Quinault trailhead. The road used to extend to almost Pony Bridge on the EF Quinault. I remember reading about the planned Dosewallips/Quinault road. The Obstruction Point road was to meet up with the Deer Park road. There is an abandoned section of road that starts by Deer Park Ranger Station and heads towards Obstruction Point for about half a mile or so. Hurricane Ridge used to be accessed from the Elwha until the current road was built. The old road to Hurricane Ridge is now called the Wolf Creek Trail.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln

RodF
Abert

Abert
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 am 
In "Footprints in the Olympics", the autobiography of Chris Morgenroth, who was a major figure in trail and road building on the Olympic Peninsula in the early 1900s, he talks about his proposal for a road up from the Elwha through the hot springs to Boulder Peak and around the High Divide to Bogachiel Peak with one connection down the Sol Duc and another down to the Hoh. It's a great book that's available on Amazon Kindle by the way.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:01 pm 
1935 quad detail

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:12 pm 
South East Olympics cir 1968 USFS map

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 2:46 pm 
There was a plan in the 1950's and 1960's to build a road along the coastal, roadless section of the park. Thankfully, there was much public opposition. https://www.historylink.org/File/9672

timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 6:15 am 
that would have made a beautiful drive

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 am 
In the mid-70’s Staircase was just a gravel road with some branches thrown on it, and onto all the little turnouts and informal car campsites. I want to say I remember an outhouse where the road had ended as well, at the big sign. Interesting the 1968 map still shows Dry Creek trail connected to S Fk Skok trail.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!

Gregory
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostSun Feb 20, 2022 3:34 pm 
domaz wrote:
Obstruction Point road[/url] was meant to go on all the way to the Elwha
Wolf Creek trail is the old road bed. Don't know that was ever open for public use. It connects Whiskey Bend on the Elwha to Hurricane Ridge. It even has what I think are old phone boxes.

Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostFri Feb 25, 2022 4:58 pm 
Trailhead wrote:
Wolf Creek trail is an old road bed. Don't know that was ever open for public use. It connects Whiskey Bend to Hurricane Ridge. It even has what I think are old phone boxes.
The boxes you are thinking of are for the old abandoned power line that was for the Hurricane Ridge Lodge. The boxes are where the sections of power line were spiced together. They are about half apart. The current power line for the lodge is underground along the current road to Hurricane Ridge. The Wolf Creek Trail was used for automobiles until the current road to Hurricane Ridge was built in the 1950’s. Then it was converted to trail.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Ravenridge22

Ravenridge22
PostTue Jun 07, 2022 11:49 am 
Just finished "Footprints in the Olympics". Great read about Morgenroth, who lived an incredible, adventure filled life. Thanks Abert!