Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Sep 15, 2020 12:08 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Don't overlook plain old ordinary ground cayenne pepper. Doesn't spoil, needs no refrigeration, weighs very little, takes up very little space in your pack (or spice shelf), and sparks up just about anything you put it on!
And some good ole chipotle powder for some added smoke+heat. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm 
One other thing to know is that hot sauce dehydrates really well. My adult sons are sriraccha sauce fans and on our recent annual backpacking trip, I dehydrated nearly an entire bottle of sriracha sauce. I put tablespoons spread out to about 2" circles on a solid dryer sheet, then dehydrated them like fruit leather. The nice thing is how quickly they rehydrate and how well the flavor is preserved.

mosey
neek

neek
PostWed Sep 16, 2020 4:47 pm 
Jeff wrote:
As for the Daves Insanity, a tiny tiny little drop literally had me on the floor crying while gasping for air. That stuff is lethal.
Yeah. Couldn't figure out why I was having stomach problems once. Ah yeah, the Dave's last night. They make some without pepper extract that still have a kick but flavor as well. If only I could find a bottle that was guaranteed not to leak or explode. No need to dehydrate, as a few drops would last a week.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Oct 30, 2020 9:31 pm 
I have had a hot wing addiction for several years now, I like Buffalo Wild Wings but it's pretty far to the nearest one and they are a bit pricey. SO, I am not a fan of Walmart (at all) but they have 3 reasons why I sometimes shop there. 1) Un-frosted Pop Tarts. 2) 3# lbs of honey for $12 and 3) They sell BWW wing sauces. So my usual way of cooking wings is to deep from them until golden brown, pour the sauce over them and put them in the toaster oven for a few minutes, and they weren't bad, but not great. I went to cook some wings tonight and my deep fryer stopped working. So I put about 3" of vegetable oil into my deep saucepan and turned the gas burner up full blast. I noticed it was a bit hotter than my old Fry Daddy usually was. I cooked them for about 10 minutes, turning them some until golden brown. I then placed them onto some paper towels and dipped them in seprate bowls of Buffalo WW Habanero Mango and their Caribbean Jerk wing sauces until well coated. They were amazing! On the side I had celery and carrot sticks and Ken's chunky Blue Cheese dressing for dipping.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Navy salad
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 2:03 pm 
Sriracha Shortage! Let the hoarding commence! horsey.gif shakehead.gif I've been out for a while and I didn't see any at Grocery Outlet, where I was going to buy 1 (Yes, just ONE) bottle. I didn't realize there is a shortage. No big deal, as there are alternatives available to spice it up. smile.gif https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/09/business-food/sriracha-shortage/index.html

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostFri Jun 10, 2022 6:30 pm 
My new favorite hot sauce. Really good! Found at a health food store

Navy salad
ThinAir

ThinAir
PostFri Jun 17, 2022 6:51 pm 
Truff hot sauce is really good. Very flavorful. Only about $17 at Fred Meyer. www.truff.com

mosey

mosey
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 1:44 am 
Truffle hot sauce? That's novel. I would think it would be quickly overpowered, especially in the small dabs one uses for hot sauce. Does it at least have a nice aroma?
I've stumbled on this one and loved using it for fish tacos (well, usually sardine tacos since I don't catch much.) It's medium-spicy and full of bright fruity flavor that really adds a lot of complexity to bland minimalistic meals. I wouldn't add it to ramen or random things like Sriracha, but it's just amazing on eggs and Mexican food. It's at most Fred Meyers.

Navy salad
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jun 21, 2022 11:40 am 
Quote:
Truffle hot sauce? That's novel. I would think it would be quickly overpowered, especially in the small dabs one uses for hot sauce.
The synthetic "truffle" oil used in most of these kinds of products, and in most truffle oils, is pretty strong. A lot of people that love truffles (including me) can't stand the synthetic stuff.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jun 25, 2022 2:26 am 
The two main options with a sauce are either dipping into it or pouring it onto stuff. At least generally speaking. High level overview.

ThinAir

ThinAir
PostTue Jul 12, 2022 9:17 pm 
Quote:
The synthetic "truffle" oil used in most of these kinds of products, and in most truffle oils, is pretty strong. A lot of people that love truffles (including me) can't stand the synthetic stuff.
From the website:
Quote:
Ingredients: TRUFF® Chili Blend (Red Chili Peppers, Water, Vinegar, Organic Sugar, Garlic, Salt and Black Truffle [Tuber Melanosporum]), Organic Agave Nectar, Olive Oil Infused with Black Truffle Essence, Lycopene and Glycerin (for color), Spices and Xanthan Gum"
So it seems that they do use real truffles but also an olive oil infused with a "Black Truffle Essence." I'm not sure how you would feel about that.
Quote:
Truffle hot sauce? That's novel. I would think it would be quickly overpowered, especially in the small dabs one uses for hot sauce. Does it at least have a nice aroma?
It actually has a lot of flavor. And yes, a nice aroma.

jenkysc

jenkysc
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:58 pm 
They make Siracha in individual size packets now. So you can carry it for the next hike.