Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bogachiel River Slugfest (13-16 June 2022)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 8:07 am 
Constrained by my daughter's schedule, we set out on an early-season trip to the northwest Olympics. Our plan had been to go all the way up the Bogachiel, then down past Hoh Lake and out the Hoh. Although we had the snow gear (all 6 lbs of it! mad.gif ), there was just too much snow on Little Divide to make any real progress amidst the fog and rain, so we opted to head down into the Sol Duc via the Mink Lake Trail. Except for 2 day hikers on the first & last days, we saw no one. Solitude at its best! smile.gif The trail was in "good" shape - i.e., it varied from some to total mud and/or slippery rocks, roots or moss; it often had a couple of inches of water running down the middle. Lots, and I mean lots, of slugs! Brush was not bad at all and there were only a few notable blow downs to negotiate between Flapjack and 21 Mile camps. On day 2 we had to wade three minor streams, which was a bit frustrating. Snow patches started on day 3 around 3700 ft near Slide Pass and became solid above 3900 ft on the Little Divide. Depending on tree cover and aspect, the snow was slushy to icy. Solid rain the nights of the 13th and 15th, and minimal views on the Divide. All in all, a character builder. That said, a muddy/rainy/snowy day in the Olympics is better than anything else! Enjoy the photos...
1_First view of the Bogie
1_First view of the Bogie
2_Slug1
2_Slug1
3_Flapjack camp view1
3_Flapjack camp view1
4_Flapjack Camp view2
4_Flapjack Camp view2
5_Into the jungle
5_Into the jungle
6_Bend in the Bogie
6_Bend in the Bogie
7_trail washout
7_trail washout
8_Corydalis
8_Corydalis
9_Fifteen Mile shelter
9_Fifteen Mile shelter
10_North Bogie crossing
10_North Bogie crossing
11_Slug2
11_Slug2
12_Hyak shelter
12_Hyak shelter
13_wet trail
13_wet trail
14_creek crossing
14_creek crossing
15_Trillium
15_Trillium
17_snow on trail
17_snow on trail
19_The view south
19_The view south
18_The view north
18_The view north
16_trail on snow
16_trail on snow
20_upper Mink Lake basin
20_upper Mink Lake basin
21_Mink Lake shelter
21_Mink Lake shelter
23_Marsh marigold
23_Marsh marigold
22_Ducks on lake
22_Ducks on lake
24_Canyon Creek
24_Canyon Creek
25_Sol Duc Falls
25_Sol Duc Falls

Hesman, Sallie4jo, contour5, Route Loser, Snuffy, graywolf, Olympic Hiker, jaysway, IanB, half fast, meck, Seventy2002, Ski, rubywrangler, RichP, reststep, tinman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSun Jun 19, 2022 12:56 pm 
Very nice trip RAW-dad! Looks very wet indeed, but quite an adventure.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Kellbell

Kellbell
PostMon Jun 20, 2022 11:24 am 
So impressive!! I wanted to get those miles in on the PNT last year but ultimately chickened out. I did the first bit on Bogachiel as a quick in and out, and then the 7 lakes loop assuming late season trip and skipped everything in between. Your picture of the Mink Shelter almost makes me want to go back! But not quite lol.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 7:50 am 
Thank you for the trip report! I am planning the same route (your plan B) over the July 4th weekend. Hopefully this weekend's "heat wave" will melt some of that snow! I am wondering, because you had meant to go out the Hoh, did you have to hitch a ride from Sol Duc? I have someone willing to pick up me up there to get back to my car at Bogachiel but maybe there is another way?

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
RAW-dad

RAW-dad
PostWed Jun 22, 2022 5:16 pm 
Thanks Meck! There were many times during our hike when I thought to myself - "at least I can see my feet" - unlike your experience in July 2020. Won't be long, however, before the shrubbery comes back... Kellbell - you need to go back and check out the rest of the trail. The part from just upstream of Flapjack to the turnoff to Mink Lake is an interesting and scenic hike. Snuffy - Good luck with your hike! I had anticipated having to descend into the Sol Duc, so my wife was on call and she came and got us. I communicate with her during my hikes using a Garmin InReach. Pricey but worth it.

Kellbell
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostThu Jun 23, 2022 7:30 am 
Thank you, RAW-dad! That is similar to my current plan, the InReach is definitely good for communicating evolving plans. smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.