Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Mountain (Pt 5447)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Nov 21, 2002 5:58 pm 
This peak is the Red Mountain which is off the Money Creek road. But there needs to be further clarification. Beckey's Red Mtn in this valley is found about 1 mile away at 5576. Both are Homecourt Peaks and both are worthy of attention and a climb. One takes the Money Creek turnoff from US 2 and drives to the very end of the Money Creek road. At the end of the road there is a trail which will take you to Crater Lake. This was a delightful surprise as I was expecting to bushwack crosscounty to get there. And another surprise was the foliage was totally dry. This weather pattern is really weird for November. Once at the outflow I crossed west over some logs and then stayed adjacent to the lakeshore rocks until I got to the north side of the lake where an abused campsite with lots of garbage blemishes the beauty. I carried out a lot of the garbage in a tarp but there is more for the next person to come by. There is a little trail which leaves the campsite and goes NW. Follow it and when you get to a waterfall stay on the left for several hundred feet of elevation to reach the saddle between 5331 and 5447. It will be brushy but not horribly so. Great views to Phelps and Index.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 10:32 am 
Thank you for that report, Mike. Any information about established routes from those Skykomish tributary valleybottoms up to lake and ridge country is much appreciated.

cookiejar

cookiejar
PostMon Nov 25, 2002 9:02 pm 
Ditto! I always enjoy reading your trips, Mike. I've thought a Mt. Persis-Mt. Index-Frozen Mountain-Red Mountain traverse would be interesting. How did the Frozen Mountain portion look from Red? Anyone here climb Frozen Mountain? It's not in the Beckey guide (which makes it all the more intriguing).

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Nov 26, 2002 10:18 am 
A Persis-Index-Frozen-Red trip would be very long. Very long. I did Frozen with some friends on bikes from the Proctor Creek road to the North Fork Tolt River river road and then cross country to Frozen. Recommended only in early spring as the brush is intense. You will see the mother of all road gates on this trip.

Art is an adventure.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Nov 26, 2002 9:53 pm 
Frozen
Last spring I climbed Frozen with Beave via the same approach which Stefan describes. I wrote it up for WTA.org It is a long mountain bike ride in and you assuredly want snow cover over the brush. The traverse from Persis to Red sounds like an expedition. You would probably have to drop down the the North Fork of Tolt from Frozen to get over to Red

cookiejar

cookiejar
PostWed Nov 27, 2002 5:58 pm 
Thanks for the input and pointing out your WTA report. Yeah, it'd be long no matter how you sliced it.