Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Washington CCC History
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 11:00 am 
Here is an interesting report about the CCC in the 1930's/40's in Washington State. http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/gralau30/ (Edit: See Samples of My Work)

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 11:53 am 
Thanks for pointing out this good piece of historical information

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 12:27 pm 
There's a great Interpretive Center about the C.C.C. at Bowman Bay in Deception Pass State Park. Lots of historical pieces, a video and statue.
C.C.C. statue at Bowman Bay
C.C.C. statue at Bowman Bay

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
mpaul hansen

mpaul hansen
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 6:23 pm 
stone fences by the CCC
Some of the stone fence 'guardrails' built by the CCC are still evident - ie in the Deception Pass St Park area, and near Mt. Rainier....and other places ...

mike

mike
PostSun May 01, 2005 12:42 pm 
I went up Mt Constitution on Orcas yesterday and was noticing the state of rotten disrepair of the CCC guard rails on the way up. Looked like they were in the process of being replaced by some very businesslike (read "butt ugly") new guard rails. Lots of steel, concrete and PT wood. Too bad. The road isn't the same without those old mossy logs and stonework. I must say that they have maintained the tower on the summit pretty well though.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun May 15, 2005 10:51 pm 
We went to Deception Pass SP yesterday and checked out the CCC Interpretive Center there. Wow! what a great collection of artifacts! Here's a pic of a CCC building there. Buildings aren't in good shape at all - and not because they weren't built well - they were. But as anything, they need maintenance.
CCC and frank
CCC and frank

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Andrew

Andrew
PostSun May 15, 2005 11:01 pm 
If I recall correctly, the CCC also fought against a particular disease that affected white pines in the Mount Rainier area. How, I don't know, and for how long, I don't know either. This was a random tidbit I learned in my Env. Science/20th Century history class.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon May 16, 2005 12:32 pm 
I love the work they did around Rainier NP, not only the lodges but all the many stone guard rails you pass while driving in there. up.gif Why oh why can't we have something beneficial like the CCC in some form today? I'm a firm believer in some kind of national service being instituted to make a dent in the horrendous backlog of projects needing attention around this country.

greg

greg
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:58 am 
Quark, many many CCC structures in state parks are in poor shape because the Legislature won't adequately fund that agency. Twanoh State Park on Hood Canal has six or eight historic CCC structures that are falling apart. This tugs at my heartstrings a bit because a Grandfather I never knew was a CCC crew boss.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 17, 2005 12:51 pm 
I know, that's the sadness of it. The Legislature has so many woes to take care of (whether real or percieved*); history and the outdoors are like red-headed step-children to a government agency. Seems people don't care about history anymore; iPods, pop culture, and shopping and internet poker have taken over as priorities. The building in the photo I posted is a picnic shelter, complete with a huge and wonderful fireplace for warmth, and wood-fired ovens to heat iron stovetops for cooking. Rather than tsk, tsk, tsking about it, I should do something about it, eh? Such a coming-together of people to pull through the bad economic times! The CCC nurtured interests and allowed young men to hone skills for life when times got better. . Previously untapped interest and subsequent learning opportunities were for cooks, painters, engineers of all kinds, agriculturists, botanists, photographers, tailors, laborers, writers, publishers, glazers, even actors and musicians. *I witnessed some sorry-assed bulls*** antics by the recipients of taxpayers' charity in front of the DSS building last night.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
mike

mike
PostTue May 17, 2005 1:21 pm 
Quote:
The building in the photo I posted is a picnic shelter, complete with a huge and wonderful fireplace for warmth, and wood-fired ovens to heat iron stovetops for cooking.
As a kid i used to go to family and community potlucks there. Brings back memories of all that home cook'n.

greg

greg
PostTue May 17, 2005 1:40 pm 
I'm with you Q.

Andrew

Andrew
PostTue May 17, 2005 4:19 pm 
mike wrote:
Quote:
The building in the photo I posted is a picnic shelter, complete with a huge and wonderful fireplace for warmth, and wood-fired ovens to heat iron stovetops for cooking.
As a kid i used to go to family and community potlucks there. Brings back memories of all that home cook'n.
Yeah, every year the local Guam Club would have a potluck there. While I wasn't too keen of the food at the time, I had lots of fun.

Raistlin
I love the ants!

Raistlin
I love the ants!
PostTue Jun 14, 2005 1:58 am 
Yeah, I was quite pleased to learn about the CCC when on Mt. Constitution a few months ago. hihi.gif Here are the CCC WA CAMP LISTS.

If all mankind were to disappear, the world would regenerate back to the rich state of equilibrium that existed ten thousand years ago. If insects were to vanish, the environment would collapse into chaos. ~Edward O. Wilson
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostWed Jun 15, 2005 11:05 am 
i know there are some WPA culverts and buildings spread around Pt. Defiance park in Tacoma, there was a CCC/WPA camp there that built most of the trails and roads. The park centennial is this year, and the park site has all kinds of useful factoids. Such as, the original zoo housed 2 deer and a possum. Now that's worth the trip!!!! quoted from the park webpage: 1930s Federal work relief programs during the Great Depression - such as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) - accomplish major projects in Point Defiance Park, including the restoration of Fort Nisqually and a new Boathouse to replace the 1903 octagonal Pavilion. The CCC maintains a winter camp in Point Defiance Park for two years, housing up to 200 workers

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."