Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Any Photoshop gurus out there? - Please help!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 4:07 pm 
I can't make my selection from a photograph transparent and need help fast. Hitting delete only turns what I want transparent into a solid background (not transparent). Clipping paths I'm totally confused. And nothing happens when I use Export Transparent Image from the Help menu. My books that I'm using are not giving me the full story and I can't shut off my computer until I get this. So far today I've spent about 5 hrs trying to figure this out. Help me! waah.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
not an expert

not an expert
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 8:16 pm 
I would post something to one of the rec.photo groups if you don't get an answer here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
C Dog

C Dog
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 8:35 pm 
I couldn't tell you exactly how to do it in Photoshop, but here's a way to do it in Paint Shop Pro (the concept should be the same): 1. Create a new image with the same dimensions as the photo you're working on, and specify the image as having a background color of 'transparent' 2. Open the photo you're working on, select all, and copy 3. Go to the image created in step 1, and paste your photo *as a new layer* 4. Select the area you want transparent and choose 'Delete' -- it will show the checkered (transparent) background behind it. Hope this helps.... I remember there being quite a few good tutorials on the web about this kind of stuff...

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
C Dog

C Dog
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 8:37 pm 
Quote:
Hope this helps.... I remember there being quite a few good tutorials on the web about this kind of stuff...
Try here: http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshoptransp/

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 13, 2002 11:32 pm 
Hey C Dog. That's a great shot of Lower Melakwa you've got there for your avatar. I took one from almost the exact same spot! Related to the photoshop topic... what software did you use to reisize it. Did you unsharp mask it after resizing and what jpeg quality settings did you use. Your's looks amazingly sharp for a thumbnail.

C Dog

C Dog
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 3:15 am 
Tom wrote:
Hey C Dog. That's a great shot of Lower Melakwa you've got there for your avatar. I took one from almost the exact same spot!
Hehehe, that's hilarious. For thumbnails, I don't bother doing the unsharp mask, I just use 'sharpen' once after I resize/resample the picture, and save on my default compression settings (compression factor 15). I use Paint Shop Pro for all my photo editing/resizing/retouching.

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 8:38 am 
Thanks for your help. I think I actually had been doing the path correctly, as when I pulled up the image in PageMaker, it came up the way I wanted it. But I'll definitely check out those links! Thanks a bunch! smile.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 2:49 pm 
Obviously I'm late replying to this, but if it helps, better late than never. If you're working with isolated layers, the best way to do it is to select the area that you don't want to clear and invert the selection, then just hit delete. If it's a single layer image, your best bet might be to use the Extract option (under Image). I could help more indepth if you give me more details on the image and what you are (were) trying to do... dizzy.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 3:52 pm 
Sore Feet, when I do it that way I get a solid plain background - not a transparent background. I know I should be able to do it that way, because it's worked for me on another computer! Is there some sort of thing I need to do in set-up somewhere so I can do it that way? I don't know why it doesn't work on my computer but it worked on my computer at my ex-job.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Feb 09, 2002 12:44 am 
Weird. About the only thing I can think of without seeing what you're talking about in person is, if you're working on a multiple layered image, you may have a solid color layer behind the layer being extracted. If you're working from a .jpg or a .gif file, try duplicating the image first and working off that duplicate (the duplicate would essentially be a .psd file then). Weird. confused.gif