Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > If they close the road at Dingford....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue May 03, 2005 5:11 am 
Took the upper bridge once backtracking to Goldmyer to avoid the river crossing (cold & high). Plus, I was excited about seeing the other "hot" spring along the trail which was supposed to be about 70 degrees warm. Boy, was I disappointed - wouldn't describe it as even lukewarm! Have to agree about those bikes - not only the trail damage, but dang I think someone is going to get hurt. I almost got nailed by two guys charging down West Tiger on their bikes last summer, not a pleasant experience.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 03, 2005 8:53 am 
Now, now....let's not stigmatize any one group. Bikes should be allowed. If they're not allowed, it would smack of the "only a select few can use the trail" way of thinking - and from what I have read on this forum, it's one of the main arguments for keeping the road open. The bicycle lobby may be one reason the FS is willing to compromise more than they may not otherwise do. The hiking community doesn't seem very powerful on it's own - it needs other user groups to help lobby efforts - BBTC, Backcountry Horsemen, etc. Regarding safety - stay off of West Tiger (afterall, it's one of the biggest biking area in King County), and if Mid Fk it becomes a big biking area stay off the Mid Fk trails on odd days. Fairly simple solution - without discriminating against any user group.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 03, 2005 9:47 am 
Do you really mean East Tiger? West Tiger has been closed to Mtn. bikes for years but, East Tiger is one of the best single tracks in the state. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 03, 2005 10:05 am 
East, West - same difference. The onliest difference is what side of that top hump it's on. Wow, it just hit me! doh.gif : I bet I shouldn't have said that in my interview with DeLorme: I didn't get the job. They say hind sight is 20-20, or whatever...

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 03, 2005 10:17 am 
Quark wrote:
Now, now....let's not stigmatize any one group. Bikes should be allowed. If they're not allowed, it would smack of the "only a select few can use the trail" way of thinking - and from what I have read on this forum, it's one of the main arguments for keeping the road open.
I guess we should allow vehicles on the trail too then. The argument you refer to is about WHO has access by WHAT means. If only select people were allowed to bike the trail your point would be valid, but that is not what is being discussed.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 03, 2005 10:57 am 
People are gumbling about bikes and saying they shouldn't be allowed. Sure they have access via hiking like everyone else; so then using the same argument, why isn't it ok to gate the Mid Fk - afterall those without a key aren't barred from access; they can walk in. I'd like the road to remain open, too. What drives me nuts is the finger-pointing and unwillingness to see anyone else's point of view (i.e. inholders having access - rights to easement is one of the earliest rulings in law). Maybe I'm on the wrong thread and getting issues and arguments mixed up, so I'll shut up now.

Dante

Dante
PostTue May 03, 2005 11:02 am 
Tom wrote:
Quark wrote:
Now, now....let's not stigmatize any one group. Bikes should be allowed. If they're not allowed, it would smack of the "only a select few can use the trail" way of thinking - and from what I have read on this forum, it's one of the main arguments for keeping the road open.
I guess we should allow vehicles on the trail too then. The argument you refer to is about WHO has access by WHAT means. If only select people were allowed to bike the trail your point would be valid, but that is not what is being discussed.
I was just thinking that. Once all the road closures permit people to drive their Priuses to all "authorized" trailheads, the non-motorized coalition will turn on each other. I predict the hikers and bikers will get the FS to kick the horses out of the woods (West of the crest at least) and then the hikers will turn on the bikers. Might take 30 years. BTW, my dad an a bunch of his motorcycle buddies worked on a bunch of the trails on the west side of Tiger long (~30 year) ago, only to get kicked off. Had to happen given the population explosion in that area

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 03, 2005 12:41 pm 
Really? Stock have been used for backcountry travel since the idea of backcountry was conceived. The horse guys are very active in doing TM. Mountain biking is huge, and there are not a lot of places left to do it. Mountain bikers tend to be fairly well-off. I just don't see that happening ever.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 03, 2005 1:52 pm 
Quark wrote:
People are gumbling about bikes and saying they shouldn't be allowed.
I'm not arguing about bikes as much as I am the stupidity of the whole plan. Parts of the plan make sense, but nothing ties together as a whole. As far as I know, bikes are not currently allowed on the MFK trail, so what exactly were bikers going to oppose? Would they oppose closing the upper road? Why? Would they oppose paving the lower road? Why? Would they oppose a campground? Why? Unless bikes are currently allowed on the MFK trail, it seems to me bikes allowed on odd numbered days = blood money to join the coalition to create a defacto wilderness.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 03, 2005 2:21 pm 
bingo - defacto or otherwise, it's all good if you're looking to shut the gates on the users you don't like

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue May 03, 2005 2:22 pm 
Welcome to American politics. Lots of compromise because the public is comprised of lots of usertypes = an ocotopus. It wouldn't surprise me if the FS needed the biker groups to help get their Alternative pushed and they and the bikers got together to get the word out, maybe even tear down Land Use Proposal signs at the trailheads (just joking). It's politics in America - you rub my back, I'll rub yours. It's the same with various special interest groups supporting the trail park pass - they agreed to support it if the FS would be obligated to disclose fund expenditure and provide a means for volunteers to get a free annual pass. That's why hiker agendas don't easily win; they're not unified; they have many, many different interests, not just one such as backcountry cycling, or horses.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 03, 2005 2:27 pm 
Quote:
Welcome to American politics. Lots of compromise because the public is comprised of lots of usertypes = an ocotopus.
but only *some* of them insist on the exclusion of others. harken back the discussions of Gallagher head lake, for example, and you’ll find some of the same folks saying that area should have users locked out as well, when it’s one of the very few high lakes accessible to vehicles in a state where probably 1000 lakes, if not more, already meet their exacting criteria for wilderness experience, yet somehow, this one bone is projected as being unacceptable.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue May 03, 2005 4:26 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Do you really mean East Tiger? West Tiger has been closed to Mtn. bikes for years but, East Tiger is one of the best single tracks in the state. biggrin.gif
Kinda late in reply, but yes I DID mean West Tiger. The dudes were riding their mountain bikes illegally down one of the most heavily used hikers only trails in this state down.gif They came around a fairly blind curve at an extreme rate of speed and, well, thank god they had good reflexes and so did I! I'm not against mountain bikes at all, I just don't understand the MFK decision where the bikes don't stay on the closed road... instead of the foot trail... but then I guess I'm not a mountain biker lol.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 03, 2005 4:30 pm 
BBTC opposed the closure until they were given the alternate day opening of the riverside trail, half a cup is better than none, I guess frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostTue May 03, 2005 4:36 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
BBTC opposed the closure until they were given the alternate day opening of the riverside trail, half a cup is better than none, I guess frown.gif
Yup, guess I'll view the whole issue as a cup half full, not half empty smile.gif