Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rattlesnake - Enchantment Traverse (11/9/02)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 09, 2002 10:34 pm 
This one began at 0900, normally too late of a start to catch some fall/winter scenery, but not in this particular case wink.gif. Rain was forecast for later in the day and I worried that clouds might obscure most of the views, but as Rattlesnake, Si, Mailbox, and the Middle Fork valley came into view I realized this would not be a problem. As we cruised by Defiance, Bandera, and Granite, I struggled to differentiate the numerous "Ship Lakes" which sailed by quicker than I could identify all of them. As usual, the Upper Melakwa valley was stunning, still colored in its reddish brown hue nestled beneath Chair and Kaleetan. To no surprise, Chair Peak Lake was frozen solid, covered by a blanket of snow, but Gem Lake was still wide open and Snow Lake was only in the early stages of living up to its name. As we headed east, Ridge, Gravel, Edds, Alaska and Joe came into view. All but Alaska appeared to be frozen (or mostly frozen in the case of Gravel), with Joe looking particularly enticing and begging for a visit. Chikamin Peak soon dominated the spotlight with a virgin white frosting of snow, then Chikamin Lake - near frozen except for 2 or 3 large veins meandering through, giving an optical illusion from 20,000' as if someone had recently skied it. As we continued east, a blanket of fog covered the alpine lakes, with most of the dominant crags and the snow capped glaciers of Hinman & Daniel protruding above, providing for a near religious experience. Eventually Ingalls Lake came into view, frozen solid to the west of Mt Stuart (both quite impressive from above), then Horseshoe, Stuart, Colchuck, the Enchantments... It was a spectacle to behold and one I won't soon forget, my only disappointment being that I did not bring my camera to re-live and share it with the rest of you other than through words.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 8:45 am 
Good report
This was really neat, Tom. At first I was a little bummed out because you didn't attach some of your usual beautiful photos, but in hindsight sometimes it's as much fun to NOT have a digital staring you in the face, but rather let your words and our own imagination paint the picture for us. Long way of saying your reports are equally nice even when you don't have a photo. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostTue Dec 10, 2002 9:04 am 
What were you in? 767? Or something smaller and lower?

Major Tom To Ground Ctrl

Major Tom To Ground Ctrl
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 1:07 pm 
I believe it was a 757-300, a mighty fine aircraft I must say. up.gif

Bungee Boy

Bungee Boy
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 5:42 pm 
At first I got sucked in but I remember what it is like to fly into and out of Seattle, heading East when the weather is clear. An awesome chance to get a great perspective on the hills down below.

Ever Upwards
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 6:30 pm 
I left Seattle at 12 noon on the 2nd. I did the Tom cruise, but only saw a few frozen lakes. The Foss were all clear, but Crawford was frozen. Spade, venus, and circle were clear but Rebecca and Rowena were frozen. All the Chantments were frozen, minus the lower snow lake. That was open. Fantastic views. Pictures dont come out to well thru the plexiglass! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 7:04 pm 
Many years ago, I had the chance to fly around the Enchantment/STuart area in a small plane. The camera was a clicking and I took alot of pics. I'd recommend an aerial trip highly, be sure and take your camera

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 7:46 pm 
Awesome views guys. A small plane would be neat. Know a pilot? NN up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.