Forum Index > Trail Talk > Teeth of the winter campout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Dec 16, 2001 4:26 am 
Due to a couple comments about another campout, I'd like to plan another one so here's the notice! The idea this time is to take the rainy lowland winter by the shorthairs and go camping rain or shine in the short days and long nights of January, regardless of weather. I'm thinking the middle of Jan when the holiday season has passed and life has calmed down some. We'll kickoff the new year in the NW rain like the savages we are! I'm going to scope a couple spots on the N Fork Sky and N fork Snoqualmie and look for one in a heavily wooded area to provide good cover. The idea will be to arrive early enough and with a few folks with tarps and see how much covered area we can create between trees in order to build a nice large dry area to enjoy while the rain pours down. The necessities will be a couple folks willing to arrive early with some tarps and begin construction of the party cabana, and that *everyone* showing up bring wood because in a long rainy evening, we can burn a lot of wood. For those who went to the last campout when it rained, they know you *can* be dry and toasty in a downpour *if* you set up enough tarps in an intelligent manner, and if you have enough wood. Last time around Craig was the wood fairy, but we can't count on that this time so we each need to bring scraps of whatever we can lug along that's burnable! Also, since it gets dark early and we need entertainment, I think it would be fun to commence with a low country cookoff to start the evening. The idea is basically a potluck type dinner where everyone tries to cook the yummiest dinner they can using camp stoves and whatever they can come up with. Anybody interested? mcaver replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm game, just say when and where. I'm not much of a cook, so I'll probably just bring something. Tarp and wood should be no problem. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- allison replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not sure about work for Jan yet. I'll either have to work basically all nights and weekends, or basically none at all. I'm still interested in putting together a social at a cabin for early Feb if there's interest. Man, oh man, this thing is slower than molasses!! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Dante replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am definately interested. I was sorry to have missed the Eastside social and would love an excuse to sleep outside. I also have a kick ass chili recipe. Let me know where and when. Work permitting, I will be there. I've been working 50-60 hour six-day weeks, but am in the midst of a little lull, so I might be able to get away. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sure Chris, I can see thru all of this... You just want to have that winter stove cookoff wink.gif. Kidding aside, count me and my wimpy winter cannister stove in. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- allison replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Of course if I can make it to this Social I will bring the Big Stove, which some of you know from previous camping Socials. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Beave replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Chris! Definately interested.... I'll bring something good, probably pre-made.... I'll try to hook up another truckfull of wood too.... I don't work Friday thru Sunday... I assume this will be a weekend deal right? It would be cool to plan it in an area that has some surrounding peaks and lakes we can scramble up to during the day, then return to our "basecamp" at night... Craig -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MtnGoat replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pre made goods will be disqualified you cheatin' claim jumpin' dog! :0 The idea of the cookoff is to see who can make what on a campstove, or a couple of them, multiple burners will be accepted by the organizing committee. Me! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- mcaver replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So participation in the cookoff is required for attendance? If so, I probably won't be there. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MtnGoat replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You needn't worry, the only thing that's compulsory is having fun. Like I'd require people to cook. It just sounded like a fun idea for an evening when it's pitch black by 5PM. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backpacker Joe replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm there. Let's figure out who's bringing what so we don't over do it in one area. What about the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie? Give that a hollar Mr. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- catwoman replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'd probably be interested. Need to find warmer sleeping arrangements than what I currently have, though. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backpacker Joe replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I plan on sleeping in the back of my monster 4x4. I'll bring wood and other important where will all! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- allison replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I have any say, ingredients can be pre-chopped and bagged but that all cooking mut take place on-site. My 2-burner Coleman will be there if I am, and may the best chef win! Observers and food-testers welcome! Bring beer! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backpacker Joe replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Beer is there by the GALLON! With all due respect, I am not a chef. I will a-cu-tri-ment you guys to hell and back though! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- OK, I got a few folks upset once for making it sound like we was a buncha hardcore boozin' hikers. Of course, I was just clowning around and I suspect backpacker joe was doing the same. If anyone is seriously planning on getting juiced (as in not very fun to be around), please give fair warning so that we can give you different driving directions wink.gif. Having said that I plan to bring a few beers myself. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backpacker Joe replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Roger that. Damn but you have to take care these days..... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MtnGoat replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I don't think anyone I've ever met through this series of boards has been the type of person to get sloppy when they're juiced. Pretty buzzed, yes, hard to be around, nope! Pre chopped and bagged ingredients sound fine, it's only the cooking that should take place on site IMO. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stefan replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I want to go! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rubberlegs replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [ post deleted by Rubberlegs ] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- MtnGoat replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Anybody is free to take what they want from any chat board. If people are somehow offended by what *other* folks want to do for entertainment, that's their own buisness. If someone's PC view of what's acceptable to do for fun "forces" them to move on, that's their decision and theirs alone, due to their mindset. There have been any number of threads on all kinds of hiking and issues related on the last site, anybody can start any hiking only thread they choose. If they don't like it they can not read it, not go, not visit the board, or any number of options. If they're so thin skinned as to be "turned off" by this, any of those responses is within their power. There's nothing mandatory about reading, posting, attending anything, responding, or anything else. There is no reason the folks that like to do this stuff should curtail their activities because someone with delicate sensitivities cannot handle reading a post or thread. If that's the word on the "trail" so be it, the word here is these same folks need to turn their self righteous scale down. These are the same people that drive *any* pertoleum fueled wheeled vehicle to a trail while complaining with purist attitudes, IMO. Selective outrage and intolerance of others doesn't give me a reason to kowtow to their self chosen viewpoints. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I hope can openers are not disqualified at the cookout. I make a lean mean fire breathin' (and healthy) onion chile. Hmm, maybe I'll bring my backpacker's pantry outback oven and bake up a pizza. Canadian bacon and pineapple OK? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backpacker Joe replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey and besides, my monster 4x4 isn't a gas hog! It's a diesel, and it gets 34mpg! So there. I agree in total with Mr. Goat. Let's have fun with this site and eachother. I dont take it personally whenst people disagree with me. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Stefan replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I don't care what anybody says about you TB--I still think you got a nice... moon.gif -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Backpacker Joe replied: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Got a nice what? Hmm, I'll take it whatever it is! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostMon Dec 17, 2001 5:33 pm 
Back on topic--where and when!?!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Dec 17, 2001 5:39 pm 
Stay tuned. This was just a heads up, we'll get down to actual organization right after Xmas.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Dec 17, 2001 7:32 pm 
My monster 4x4 and I are there wherever you end up deciding on the place. I opt for the middle fork or north fork of the snoqualmie! TB tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Dec 18, 2001 5:52 pm 
I'm a lock for this one, mid-January sounds perfect. Should be perfect conditions for breaking out zee massive REI-Dome. Everyone bring a frisbee for a few rounds of bone-chilling golf!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 02, 2002 2:02 pm 
So is it cold enough out there yet cool.gif? Anyone want to suggest a date and place?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 6:00 pm 
Haven't been out to scout sites yet. Maybe this weekend.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 10:27 pm 
I think there's a full moon on the 28th--maybe the weekend before that?

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 12:45 am 
hah, tracked you guys down... well, I knew where it went, thanks for keeping me posted, whoever sent the mail. weekend of the 26th is probably a good choice.. which is why I'll be on an Oregon outing that weekend... of course, my track record lately has been lame, anyway. And Allison, I'm at least -interested- in February cabin to-do, inform me if you're moving forward with it, he? -Erik

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 9:03 pm 
What's with the title "teeth of the winter campout". I know what teeth are and I know what a winter campout is, but I don't understand the two in the same phrase. confused.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 11:20 am 
It means going right into the maw of low elevation, rain soaked, most rainy area of the mountains, in rainy season, with the shortest days and most precip, on purpose, just to do it, rain or shine, snow or rain.

Dante

Dante
PostSat Jan 12, 2002 10:49 pm 
The 26th might still work for me, but next weekend is out now. I'll be driving over the pass to meet my family in Winthrop for some fun in the snow cool.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 6:29 pm 
Hey everybody let's update this thread. Who's all still in for this excursion? (and I'm not talking about the Ford SUV) I'm still in. Anymore info available?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Beave

Beave
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 1:16 am 
I'm still in... My Tacoma can make it *almost* everywhere your Sami can!!! lol.gif But, if we follow TB, I guess a winch is madatory equipment!!!! lol.gif Cool as cool.gif I can camp anywhere... Just say when and where! yawn.gif Craig