Forum Index > Gear Talk > Plastic Boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostMon Jan 07, 2002 9:46 am 
My very old plastic Koflachs are about done. I'm no ice climber, just prefer plastic for slogging up snow and an occasional glacier. Only thing I've looked at so far is the current low end Koflach, which seem overly tall - up your shin. Any views, opinions or ideas for a good replacement would be appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 5:47 pm 
Of the numerous plastics that I have tried, my favorite is still the Scarpa Inverno.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 7:31 pm 
I wore out my first pair of Koflachs and bought the Orange colored model last June. They work perfectly well and I am glad to have not switched. If they are higher I don't notice it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 12:09 pm 
Pappy, man you have got to go see Jim Nelson at ProMountain Sports in Seattle. He has some really cool, really light new boots that will blow your mind. I'm going to buy a pair. Front pointing, cramp on, plastic style (kevlar) boots that weight less than 3 pounds a pair!!!! Jims store

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 12:11 pm 
Here they are Pappy. Check them out.La Sportiva Trango Ice

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostThu Jan 10, 2002 1:42 pm 
Thanks for the imput. Backpacker Joe, sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake. Nelson's shop - duh! Anyway, thanks for reminding me. Met him on a snowy Cascade River Road once. The La Sportivas look nice. And for $100.00 more you can shave about a pound off with the carbon filled jobbers. Now how am I going to sell that to the Mrs. "These are the last boots I'll every need"! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 2:05 pm 
You're welcome. I worked with Jim at Marmot in Bellevue back in the eighties when he ran the ski shop. His shop is great. Those boots are fantastic. I tried a pair on yesterday. 2lb 12oz for a mountian boot! WOW~ You've got to love that.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 2:17 pm 
La Sportiva's North American Website says the Trango Ice weighs 3lb 8oz a pair. Never mind--you guys are talking about the Trango Ice Comps. What the heck do you need them for Tom?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 10, 2002 9:19 pm 
I'm going to climb Rainier this May. I'd like to do Glacier Peak too. A guy I work with has done all the majors here in Washington. He wants to take people out. My problem is convincing him that I can do this light! he's another EX-mountaineer HEAVY WEIGHT!

PostFri Jan 11, 2002 8:17 am 
I agree that some of these very high priced plastic boots can appear as over kill to alot of folks. I just want a basic plastic boot. But even those aren't much cheaper than the more technical ones. But for my money, there is nothing better to climb a volcano in, or more typically for me these days, to slog up wet Cascade snow slopes in winter and spring. TB, You obviously don't need encouragement to aquire more gear, but I don't think you'd regret buying plastics. (if you haven't already)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 10:29 am 
Thanks Pappy, you are indeed correct there. I dont own any, but have played wioth them a bunch whenst I worked at Marmot.

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostSat Jan 12, 2002 9:25 pm 
I checked out these La Sportiva Trango Ice Comps. These boots are awesome!!! Sooooo light weight plus sooooo flexible adds up to sooooo comfy. Approach hikes will forever be less tormenting. While there is still a place for my plastics, I had to pick up a pair of these killer boots. I can't wait to take them for a spin up Rainier this spring! That is assuming the mafia doesn't catch up with me before then, for this week I have spent mucho dinero that I shouldn't have.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 2:26 pm 
Benjamin you da man! I'll be picking up a pair this spring for my ASSAULT (ha) on Rainier!