Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Job: Sierra Club NW Director
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 10:14 am 
The Sierra Club NW/Alaska Region is seeking a Regional Staff Director to oversee the activities of the Sierra Club in the NW. This position operates out of its Seattle office. The duties of this position include, but are not limited to, developing and implementing issue and electoral campaign strategy; major donor fundraising; managing a staff of 10-15 people; media spokesperson; involvement as a lead organization in coalitions; oversee budget; work with volunteer leaders at the state and national level. The NW Alaska Region covers Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska, with offices and personnel in each state. Priority issues include energy, salmon, lands protection and elections. Please see entire job description below. 6/6/05 ANNOUNCEMENT OF JOB OPENING APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRI., JUNE 24, 2005 - SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO <RESUMES@SIERRACLUB.ORG>. FULL-TIME, REGULAR SALARY COMMENSURATE W/SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE PLUS BENEFITS Sierra Club Job Description Job Title: Regional Field Director - Northwest/Alaska Field Region Department: Conservation Reports To: Deputy National Field Director Context: Manages the staff, operations and activities of the designated region and provides assistance to volunteers. Directs national conservation staff on conservation campaigns and other Sierra Club programs within the region. Responsible for overseeing organizing support for Sierra Club positions on local, regional, and national issues and providing volunteer support services. Scope: Manages all operations of the region. The Regional Field Director manages national staff and provides assistance to regional volunteer leaders and other organizations to design and implement environmental grassroots public policy, environmental justice, and corporate accountability campaigns within a region. Travels frequently to meet with volunteers, public officials, donors, and the media and represents the national Sierra Club in those forums. Assists volunteers and chapter staff with training and strategic campaign planning and implementation. Oversees regional campaigns, fundraising and grant programs and provides regional perspective on national campaigns. Job Activities: 1. Manages field regional operations including development of budget, monitoring expenses, administering Sierra Club Personnel Policy, overseeing physical plant and equipment contracting for outside services. Oversees and actively engages in regional and national fundraising. 2. Hires, fires, evaluates, trains and manages national conservation staff within the region, in consultation with the National Field Director and the Senior Regional Representative in the region. 3. Oversees public education campaigns in the region including the ecoregion campaigns, Building Environmental Communities Program, Environmental Voter Education Campaigns, and Environmental Justice campaigns. 4. Analyzes environmental issues on regional or national importance and collaborates with other national staff and volunteer leaders in formulating and implementing campaign strategies. 5. Coordinates, motivates, trains and informs volunteer leaders and helps them organize effective grassroots campaigns on priority issues. Collaborates with and assists chapter staff in the region. 6. Represents Sierra Club position to Congress, government officials, the public, donors and the media, by preparing testimony, participating in meetings, public speaking, lobbying and establishing and maintaining professional contacts. 7. Acts as liaison between regional volunteers and chapter staff and the national office. 8. Develops and prepares campaign issue information. 9. Serves as part of a fundraising team with major gifts staff and volunteers to raise money for programs in the region. 10. Oversees candidate accountability and electoral work within the region. 11. Performs miscellaneous duties as directed. Knowledge and skill: > -- 3 years supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to develop, train and support employees. > -- Excellent oral and written communication skills. > -- 3-5 years experience in the environmental movement or public interest advocacy including organizing campaigns, working with volunteers, creating public demand for a policy, holding the decision makers accountable, and taking delivery on campaign goals. > -- Valid driver's license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required. > -- Demonstrated skill in media relations and public speaking. > -- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in office management, budget planning and management, fundraising. > -- Ability to interact effectively with public, staff, volunteers and government officials. > -- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, to provide guidance and leadership to colleagues, excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills. Date: 01/00 Job No: R1027A Category: 02 Union: NR FLSA: Exempt FTE: 1.0 Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:21 pm 
"Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce." Oh come on now. You cant really believe that stuff can you?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:24 pm 

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:47 pm 
Sheesh — BT nicely posts a job opportunity and you guys are razzing her post. I don't think her post is a referendum on the Sierra Club but rather a simple favor regarding an available job.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:47 pm 
C'mon guys. Cut the politics.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:48 pm 
Hey, I showed no disrespect. I'm just asking if she believed that stuff? That's all. I recant my question.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:55 pm 
I guess when I see advertising for a job that hurts the financial income and the future of 80% of my family and friends, I get alittle urked. People like the Serria Club will only hurt the enviroment in the long run. Anyway, I am sorry, I hope I didnt effect anyone on this forum from taking this job. I removed my comment, but left the picture.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 12:59 pm 
Well we all know where you guys stand shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostTue Jun 07, 2005 1:44 pm 
I'm actually the head-honcho of Sierra Club & I'm deeply offended by your comments!! Just kidding... cool the jets folks. It's just a job announcement that came across my email and I thought people into "stewardship" might be interested in it or know others that might be interested... That's all. Not really interested in debating their hiring policies because I don't know a dang thing about them.

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 4:47 pm 
I should go apply, wearing my favorite T-shirt. "The proper way to spike a tree" Has a grenola cruncher with a spotted owl shoved up his butt, and he is nailed to a tree. rotf.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostMon Jun 20, 2005 7:38 am 
You guys...