Forum Index > Trip Reports > Moolock Mtn.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 5:31 pm 
I don't know what a Moolock is but the highpoint of 4965 above Moolock Lake has the same name. With the short day I was able to climb to the top of this Homecourt Peak and back to the car in 7 hrs. You start at the elephant gate for the logging road going up Bessemer Peak. The gate is on your left as you go on the Middle Fork Snoqualmie Road. Hike up this road until a saddle at 4060 feet. There you will go left and the road continues on toward Moolock. The road goes to within about 500 feet vertical of the summit. I had snowshoes but didn't put them on as my buddy had forgotten his back at the house. They would have been useful but the snowpack is still only about 30 inches so not essential. It was quite windy on the ridge up to the summit and my balaclava and goggles were put to good use. It is a good peak to do in the winter as the avalanche danger is minimal. It involves a 4000 foot gain though so you will get a good workout. Today the snow level was at 3000' but that will change soon.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IBEX

IBEX
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 7:54 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
I don't know what a Moolock is but...
Moolock is Chinook Jargon for Elk “A word so widespread that most language groups think it is their own. The usage of this word ranged from Humboldt Bay in what is now northern California all the way to Tlingit territory in the Alaska Panhandle, and it was widely known in the Interior and Plateau despite its origin in the Nootka language.” That’s what it said here --------------------

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 24, 2002 8:29 pm 
Here's a shot of Moolock taken from South Bessemer (5028') a few years ago.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Dec 25, 2002 1:32 am 
Thanks IBEX and Tom. It always helps to have greater understanding of the peaks and surrounding areas.