Forum Index > Trail Talk > I think my Subaru done died
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 7:23 pm 
Allison's New Car
Allison, sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. Been there and done that. My wife and I have driven on some pretty bad forestry roads, but ever since I saw a Lincoln Town Car at the Iron Gate Trailhead in the Pasayten, I began to realize that a four wheel or all wheel drive vehicle is nice, but not absolutely necessary. The problem I see with older all wheel/four wheel vehicles is maintenance. I speak as the former owner of a 1991 Subaru Loyale Wagon that was eventually sold with over 145,000 miles. If you could find a nice all wheel drive, like a good used Subaru Impreza, that could be a good ride for your budget. The Impreza is also a big step in reliability over the older Loyale models. Having sold Jeeps, I’m not a big fan of the pre Grand Cherokee model for reliability or any other older sport utility for that matter. Anyway, my last suggestion for your consideration is to by new. New you say??! Yes new, they are giving Kias away, and there are tremendous deals on compact cars with outstanding warranties that are virtually within your budget when you consider the rebates. And what the heck, you can always get a license plate holder that says your other car in a Jeep, a Rolls, or whatever!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 8:22 pm 
I have use of a car until the diagnosis is done on the Sub. It's in pretty good shape besides the head gasket. I think it's still worth some money, so I'll probably get it fixed and drive it a while. The car is in Sequim. Having the work done in town is still not an option. The Imprezas are too small, and I am not in the market for a car that is super-teeny. Do me a favor, you guys, read the posts before you respond to them! rolleyes.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 9:25 pm 
Girlfriend, do you know what I have? a 1990 Honda Civic. You know that. Clearance sucks but the gas mileage is still at 33-35 mpg for highway. 180K on it. I take it (er, I took it) on my climbing trips more than most people do on this board do to get out. I have been on more backroads than Mr. Thomas Bentzen. There is a reason for having low clearance--you are NOT tempted to get stuck on a backroad. You don't need high clearance in this state. What you need is good gas mileage and A FRIEND LIKE THOMAS BENTZEN to take you on those one or two outings a year where you need the burley stuff! My Honda kicks ass for reliability.

Art is an adventure.
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Dec 26, 2002 10:21 pm 
Slide Alder has a point with the Kia. I haven't researched their reliability or handling but you can buy two, three, or even more new Kias for the price of some other cars. So even if the Kia for some reason gave out at 100k, you still have your backup Kia to drive or the third Kia that you lent to Aunty Gin while you drove your other two Kias.

manky

manky
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 12:40 am 
Kia? You feel like buying a Korean car right now?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 9:01 am 
allison wrote:
I have use of a car until the diagnosis is done on the Sub. It's in pretty good shape besides the head gasket. I think it's still worth some money, so I'll probably get it fixed and drive it a while. The car is in Sequim. Having the work done in town is still not an option.
Allison, I was going to offer this suggestion earlier in this thread, but at that time you seemed pretty adamant about not getting your Subaru fixed. My wife is the original owner of a 1987 Subaru 4x4 GL wagon, and three years ago the head gasket went @150k. We had a mechanic install a rebuilt Subaru motor (from overseas) and the total with labor & parts was right around $2000.00. I don't have the same mechanical skills McPil has, or I would have done it myself and saved a ton of money. At any rate, the cost was a heck of a lot cheaper than a new or even used car, and it's been running fine ever since. Our mechanic is a good guy and has saved us lot's of money over the years on some real jalopies. I finally bought a new rig and just wave at him as I drive by now. He's on Aurora Ave No, and if you want to know which business it is shoot me a message.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 9:47 am 
Having reread your post and mine I will edit my previous one. Edited version: Buy a cheap reliable beater Unload the sub as is Find what you want Unload the beater or keep it for trailhead thieves Don't buy new, a truck, or something that is small and resembles a truck. Buy what suits you and what you can afford. Of course you will look at mpg, warranty, cargo space and ground clearance so I won't mention that. You might even consider having a mechanic or 2 check it out if buying used. But you already know that 2. 'course this is a disposable society so you might consider just dumping it and buy what you can afford. You also might ask the climbers what they suggest if you haven't already. I'm curious, do you have to return the loaner after you hear the repair damage? or can you drive it until you get something else. I may have to reedit. 'course, if you change your mind and have it fixed and drive it for awhile then most of this is null and void for the time being. Hope I read it right. Best of luck Allison 0.02 + 0.02 NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 11:18 am 
Andy charged you 2K for that? Evrything I've heard about this rebuilt motor thing would suggest something closer to 1500$ though I haven't gotten word back from the shop in Sequim yet. They are enjoying a little holiday break through the weekend. Even if it is that much, the car is worth that much with a new top end. I've already done the requisite transmission, radiator, cam timing belt, and water pump. The car should be bomber with the new motor, except for the fact that the chassis has all them there miles on it. Yes, I have use of the truck for as long as I need it. My SO happens to have 2 cars. biggrin.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 12:04 pm 
manky wrote:
Kia? You feel like buying a Korean car right now?
Big difference between North Korea and South Korea. My problem with Kias is they are underpowered and not built well. There's a reason they are that inexpensive.
allison wrote:
My SO happens to have 2 cars.
Wow, you've gone from "boyfriend" to "SO" in just a few weeks. Would "husband" be coming soon? wink.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 12:13 pm 
Sorry, I didn't know there was a difference between BF and SO. Let's just say, "guy I date". rolleyes.gif

Mike E.

Mike E.
PostFri Dec 27, 2002 2:34 pm 
Forest car
Allison, My BF, SO or whatever drives a Jeep Wrangler around town and we take it out into the "boonies" on the weekends. You can get a decent one for around 5k - 7k . It's tough, reliable, gets decent mileage and will go anywhere. I'm not sure what you mean by "trucklike", but if you mean a stiff ride, then you might not want one of these. The ride reminds me of a cross between the '67 MGB I had in my youth and my 3/4 ton Ford pickup. Mike E.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Dec 28, 2002 9:24 pm 
Allison, sorry to hear the Mountain Assault Vehicle blew its headgasket on the OP. Must have been a bummer. I'm not sure I'd worry about 175K on a Subaru frame. They have the reputation for going much farther than that, and of course this car is the devil you know. If you spend $6-7K on a different used car there is no telling what kind of problems it will give you. Could be just as bad or worse than the Subaru. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Dec 29, 2002 1:08 am 
Well, I was lucky enough to have a) cell phone service at time of HG blow b) my mom only 20 mins behind me ont he very same road c) towing insurance If you don't have AAA or other towing insurance, GET IT. I got towed 28 miles and they had to dolly my car, at no cost to me. I will be getting word Monday or Tuesday, and the more I think about it, the more likely I am to get the Assault Vehicle repaired again. I just love that car. How long did I whine about not having one of these before I bought mine, like two years? smile.gif

trask

trask
PostSun Dec 29, 2002 10:32 am 
allison wrote:
Well, I was lucky enough to have AAA towing insurance. GET IT. I got towed 28 miles and they had to dolly my car, at no cost to me. smile.gif
No cost? hahaha What about the monthly/yearly AAA premium? "Oops, forgot about that minor detail."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster