Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Big Chill
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostMon Dec 30, 2002 2:29 pm 
This old-time photo was taken by late author/photographer Dave James, a family friend. That's my Dad on the ice with our family dog, Tic-Tic. I'm old enough that I remember that day very well. Thought you'd like to see this photo because some people don't believe that Hood Canal CAN freeze over. As you can see, it can. I am still wandering around lost in the wilderness of cyberspace, scanning, photo jargon (etc) so if the image doesn't come through send me an email note and I will send you the image separately at your email account. Karen Sykes
Hood Canal 1950
Hood Canal 1950

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Dec 30, 2002 7:50 pm 
Great photo. I wonder what kind of temps we had to have for that to happen and for how long. After reading this, it sounds like it has frozen more than once.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Dec 30, 2002 10:18 pm 
Karen...TikTik is the onomatopoeic Chinook word for "watch". Is that how your dog got his name?

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostTue Dec 31, 2002 12:32 am 
big chill
Wow, Karen that is a great picture and brings to mind some memories as well as the names you mention around Union. Our family bought the house Dave James owned, probably very near location of your picture, and have absorbed some of the local history you offer. Once I did try to find a family grave between Dalby road and McCrevey road but got lost in a sea of alder. Would you mind if i copied this picture as it would be a great addition to the Hood Canal house ? Thanks Drock

salish

salish
PostTue Dec 31, 2002 8:57 am 
Great photo! I recall freezing my rear end off in some cold snap in the late 60's, but my parents and older siblings told me it was nothing compared to the winter of 49'. Greenlake & Bitter Lake used to freeze over with some regularity, but not much anymore. I'll bet the canal was an even neater place back then. Thanks for posting the photo.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
JimK

JimK
PostTue Dec 31, 2002 9:56 am 
It must be global warming. We never get snow and cold in Seattle anymore.
Seattle Snow
Seattle Snow
That's a Honda Accord on the right. 6 years ago to the day, I believe. 2' of snow and single digit temperatures.

salish

salish
PostTue Dec 31, 2002 4:02 pm 
Wow, that drift is a heck of a lot more tha 2". Hope we get hit again like that.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
reststep

reststep
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:15 pm 
The lagoon at the conference grounds at Seabeck used to freeze over sometimes also in the old days. When was the friday the 13th blizard? Was that in January 1949 or 1950?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
JimK

JimK
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:33 pm 
Top 10 WA Weather Events Of The 20th Century January 13, 1950 - The January 1950 Blizzard * 21.4" of snow fell in Seattle on the 13th together with winds of 25-40 MPH, the 2nd greatest 24 hour snowfall recorded * Claimed 13 lives in the Puget Sound area * During Jan, 18 days with high temps 32 degrees or lower * The winter of 1949-50 the coldest winter on record in Seattle - average temp 34.4 degrees * Eastern Washington, North Idaho, and parts of Oregon were paralyzed - lower elevation snow depths ranged up to 50 inches and temperatures plunged into minus teens and twenties. Several dozen fatalities.

IBEX

IBEX
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 9:08 pm 
So, Who is Pine Martin?
Burr, I recall the Big Chill. I was growing up in Kenmore at the time, and the whole north end of Lake Washington froze over. More interesting than that memorable event, is that Karen has reveled her last name. WOW! (yeah! yeah! I know I'm slow.) I should have known with all those wordy, yet compelling posts. And it makes sense that the daughter of a prolific story teller would become a renowned outdoor columnist. I found this seemingly appropriate portrait. WARNING: Thread drift in progress. Speaking of Pine Martins: That reminds me of a story. It was the middle of summer last year and I was gliding down the switchbacks just below McAlester Lake, North Cascades Park, when I heard the clatter of little claws on a tree trunk. It is common to observe squirrels and chipmunks as they hide behind a tree as you pass along the trail. I sometimes try to trick the sneaky little mammals by backtracking around the truck and catch them watching for me to pass. But this time, the noise came from beyond a switchback corner. On an old bark-less silver snag I watched with delight as a high speed game of tag played out. The two agile creatures traced a winding barber pole route quickly up and down the slick tree trunk. They were both totally engrossed in their courtship dance as they played on with a little chuckle and a short soft grunt; oblivious to my gleeful stare. Though the wooded light level was probably too low for a shot, I managed to unzip my camera bag and then eased forward to clear the frame. However, my greedy move resulted in the sharp snap from a small twig. Instantly my brown furry subjects broke off their mating ritual to scamper up separate trees. They stopped their fleeing ascent at eye level, barely thirty feet away. For a minute we all watched each other motionless; waiting for the other to twitch or move. They were both two feet long and half that was a big bushy tail. Mostly light brown flowing fur; But darker lower legs an feet. Their beady little eye were unblinking and their rounded little ears were held erect. I just had to check the light meter. So I slowly raised my camera and looked into the eyepiece. And then to my total amazement and complete surprise, they both started barking at me! Woof! Woof! Woof! I was so taken aback and hugely flabbergasted that all I could do was answer back, “Woof! Woof! Woof!” Soon I turned back down the trail and slowly shook my head at the wonders of nature. And I had a good chuckle at the wondrous Pine Martin; The cat that barks like a dog. OK NOW, that's enough of that! Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostThu Jan 30, 2003 12:01 am 
I work at Central Market in Poulsbo with, among many others, Jerry Nicatta. I copied Karen's Big Chill photo and showed it around work last week, getting various responses. Jerry took the picture home and asked some folks about it and the winter in question, and got verification from someone who knows all involved with the photo, the photographer, Karen and her Dad. Small world. I also work with John Wyatt, decendent of the Wyatts I read about from a link in a post at nwhikers whom were early pioneers of the Kitsap area.

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
teri

teri
PostSat Jun 05, 2004 9:36 pm 
Old Dalby Waterwheel - help save it!
Hi Karen, I don't think we've ever met but my husband is your cousin Bill' I saw your message while researching sites on the old Dalby waterwheel. Are you aware that there are plans being made ot move it? Since highway 106 has been relocated and made larger, there has been a local committee formed to arrange for the waterwheel to be dismantled, moved up to the new highway, and set up in a new place. Unfortunately, the new location is not the same at all. Because of all the construction work to do with the Alderbrook resort much of the forest has been cut down and Dalby creek on the new highway is largely denuded in a large area. We're very concerned and oppose moving the waterwheel. It has always been located in its present site which is like a unigue and lovely painting. The trees and moss and lighting and angles cannot be moved. The log structure is not the whole scene. Aunt Marilyn seems to think we are the only ones who don't want it taken away. Just thought you should know what is being planned. Please respond. Bill's e=mail is cavagram@yahoo.com We don't know how soon they plan to move it but it could be within weeks since the remodeled resort is due to open on July4 weekend. By the way, this site is cool!

kiliki

kiliki
PostSun Jun 06, 2004 9:04 pm 
Amazing picture. Thanks for posting.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 06, 2004 9:14 pm 
In the early 70's there were a couple years when the sound started to freeze up in Sinclair Inlet (between Bremerton abd Port Orchard). I remember the ice it looked like pancakes stuck together, Fraid we will never see that again.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jun 07, 2004 11:05 am 
I wonder if we will ever see a scene like this again: Ice Skating on Lake Union