Forum Index > Trail Talk > If I Were King
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Dec 17, 2001 7:09 pm 
Ok, suppose you were the Head Honcho, the Big Kahuna, administrator of our forest lands. What would you do? What new wilderness areas would you add? Would you get rid of the trail park pass, or charge more, or have a different payment system? Where would you try and get your funds from? Would you increase your staffing? In what areas? Would you build more trails? Who would maintain them? Where? How about more roads? What laws would you add/change? Remember, you have the reins. But try to keep your answer less than 50 words lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 17, 2001 10:27 pm 
Awh! I just finished a quarter of classes, I'm on break. I refuse to do homework or write essays! Harumph! wink.gif I don't really follow the politics of the FS, other than whatever I see posted on their various websites, but other than the Trail Park Passes, I don't have much beef with the way things are done now. Perhaps a little more trail maintainence here and there, a few roads that I'd have fixed up *coughmiddleforkcough*, and a whole lot less logging. Damn, couldn't even do it in under 50, another F for me... frown.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Dec 18, 2001 7:26 am 
I think the forest service could be more helpful by placing a few signs along trails identifying intersecting routes. An example is for Silver Peak. Many people go along the PCT hoping to climb Silver Peak but don't know the turnoff is the cairn next to the bootscarred path. This would open options for the casual hiker and families. Most contributors to this site are beyond that need so it is for the newcomers to the mountains.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Dec 18, 2001 9:36 am 
Here is what I would do. I would evaluate revenue versus expenses and make sure that revenue = expenses. No more. No less. If revenue is below expenses then I would require higher bidding on selling of clearcuts. Too low of bid means that I would not accept it. I would also expect the "clearcutting" company to carve their own new logging roads, or upgrade current roads to be used for the clearcut. Same with replanting the trees. This leaves less administration. I would abandon any and all roads that do not lead to some type of usefullness for business or recreation. I would more volunteer maintenance on trails rather than paying someone to maintain them -- meaning more people on horseback. I would only allow trail maintenance people with chainsaws and mortorcycles to go into wilderness areas. I would totally eliminate any administration on all trails -- meaning fees and statistics.

Art is an adventure.
Tsolo

Tsolo
PostTue Dec 18, 2001 12:40 pm 
Here are a few relatively small points. I'll leave the national-level issues to others for now… 1. I think the major trailheads should have better readerboards to inform and educate users. The current ones, in my opinion, generally don't provide what they could. Here's some suggestions: a clear, standardized-format map of the trail, with accurate trail mileages and elevations; a statement of the history of the trail; a credit to any organization (like WTA or horse groups) that has maintained the trail as of late; current trail conditions; and a poster inviting people to join local organizations who speak for the trail, like WTA, or ALPS, or the Issaquah Alps group, whatever might apply. I think advocacy groups are missing an opportunity in not recruiting in this way. In general, my feeling is you've already got trail users' attention for a few hours or more, so use the chance to get some useful messages across. 2. I second the previous comment about better (and more accurate) junction markers. Also, in the old days, the trails used to have mile indicators, usually just a 4"x4" piece of wood nailed to a tree. I assume the forest service (and park service) just started tearing them all down because they were tired of replacing them after vandals or natural attrition got to them. I liked them and think they serve a useful purpose. The only ones I see anymore are in the most remote sections of trails, like in the middle of the PCT section between Chinook and Stampede Passes.

PostTue Dec 18, 2001 1:08 pm 
I'd dump the trial parking fees and restore the Forest Service and National Park budgets to the levels they were at prior to 1980.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Dec 18, 2001 7:49 pm 
I have to agree with better signs at some of the trailheads. It would be nice for instance if the section of the Crest Trail at the top of hwy 2 would indicate some of the lakes and mileages for them. I don't think there is any reference for Lake Josephine. A word at the trailhead about those that have been maintaining the trails--sounds good to me. I would probably be willing to allow more logging to help pay for recreation and get rid of the pesky trail fees. I think it would be nice if the Forest Service had a larger trail maintenace crew themselves instead of contracting this service out and allowing chainsaws to facilitate the task would be great.