Union, Washington

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 5:15 pm 
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I'm from out of state. cool.gif Where is Union?

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 5:19 pm 
Not a stupid question. I doubt if many who grew up here are familiar with Union. Take a look at the bend in Hood Canal. Union is along the south shore.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 5:27 pm 
So it is. That's a fantastic view of the Olympics. I don't suppose it still looks like that today.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 5:32 pm 
Union still looks quite a bit like that. Used to like to stop at the Country Store there but I think it is closed now.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 6:14 pm 
Karen, thanks for the second Union photo. Yes, Union certainly hasn't changed much over the years, at least from the view in the postcard. The general store is now open. drock

Karen

Karen
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:08 pm 
My turn for a question
Have any of you ever heard of or been to Dewatto?? It is on Hood Canal somewhere and apparently was once known as being cursed or being a place of evil spirits. I can't find out much about it. A ghost town? Or just a road going nowhere now? Karen

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:23 pm 
I found this on Google: Dewatto is a Hood Canal community that bears an adaptation of the Indian place name du-a-to, meaning "home of evil spirits who make men crazy." In Indian legend, spirits emerged from the bowels of the earth in the Dewatto Bay area and attempted to enter the bodies of normal warriors. Also, they have their own website: dewatto

reststep

reststep
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:33 pm 
I have been to Dewatto a few times and have a friend that lives near there. It is south of Holly. There is a good view of Dewatto Bay from the top of Mt. Ellinor. Here is a picture of Dewatto Bay

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
IBEX

IBEX
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:42 pm 
Are they all crazy.. or what?
I haven't been there. And maybe that's good. Dewatto (S.28;T.23N;R.3W) - Dewatto is a community on the east shore of Hood Canal and the south side of Dewatto Bay in north central Mason County. The name is from the Indian designation Du-a-ta, meaning place where the evil spirits come out of the earth. These spirits, called Tub-ta-ba, drove people crazy by entering their bodies. In 1847, Captain Kellett placed the name Dudah Point on British admiralty charts. An intermediate name, used locally, was Dewats. Dewatto Bay is a shallow inlet on the east shore of Hood Canal across from Lilliwaup Bay in north central Mason County. Tacoma Public Library - Washington Place Names - - - - - - - - - - - - - an IBEXtail….. I would guess most Native Americans thought the peoples who lived on Hoods Canal's south and east shore were crazy. They would all just laze around on the beach near sunset and stare off to the west. Outsiders, not realizing the awesome view, thought they must all be crazy. So, they came up with this wild evil spirits story. The east shore dwellers didn't mind the bad publicity; It did keep the tourists away. biggrin.gif Jab Jab biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Karen

Karen
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 10:38 am 
Sleepless in Dewatto
Wooly, Jim K, and Ibex .... thank you for the information about Dewatto. I can't wait to see it. I've sent off an email note to the website you referenced and promised them I wouldn't write up any trails in the area but I'd sure like to go see them -- even if there aren't any trails. Would just like to see the old campground and take some pictures. I absolutely love this!! My grandmother was an opera singer, an artist, and a poet -- she was Poet Laureatte (can't spell it) of Washington either in the late 30s or early 40s and wrote a travel column in one of the newspapers. My grand father was the Marine Editor of the PI (he wrote a column at times under the name of Barnacle Bill). I've just discovered some of my grandmother's old columns after all this time. But the reason I mention this is that she and my grandfather wrote up many of the legends of the Skokomish tribe and I have those. If anyone would like to read these, let me know and when I have time I can scan one or two in and send them to you (too long to post here). Thanks for your interest and for your help, Karen

Karen

Karen
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 2:34 pm 
Signing off for a while
Just wanted to thank you all for your appreciation of the old photographs. There will be more later as well as some that I have taken. However, duty calls and due to an emergency at the pet store where I work part-time I am gonna be too busy to "play" for a while. Doncha love this old post-card? This is another one of my interests (I have too darn many interests) -- old post-cards. This one is from Germany and I bought it at a flea market (a great place to look for old post cards). Have fun in the mountains and on the Forum, Karen

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 8:41 pm 
The posts about Dewatto were engaging to read. One wonders what it was about that area which lead the Native Americans to believe that spirits came from the earth there. Recently I read a book entitled, "How Marcus Whitman Saved Oregon". It was written in 1895 as a eulogy to the deaths of missionaries Marcus Whitman and his wife Narcissa. The author relates an episode from early on in the mission along the Walla Walla river where a Nez Perce chief is perplexed by the concept of an afterlife but readily admits to the existence and influence of spirits. It would be interesting to canoe that area to try and sense the natural phenomena which might have spawned the belief in emergence of spirits.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 2:51 am 
I live on Hood Canal further north by Bangor. Dewatto isn't all that far away from here and I drive through there several times a year, at least. It is a beautiful spot and an interesting little community with some occupied and some old decaying buildings clinging to the side of the very steep hill or on pilings over the water. It is a really nice little hidden spot.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch