Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ice Fishing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
brownster145

brownster145
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 1:16 am 
Does anybody know of any lakes in the central Cascades where a snowshoeing/icefishing would be possible at some point before the winter is over? Do any of these lakes freeze enough for this to be safe? I'm talking a 2-3 day trip. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 7:26 am 
Brownster, I've been fishing here all my life and I'm ashamed to say I have no idea about where you can ice fish. It's just not real popular here. I do know that Rat Lake, near Brewster (in the Okanagon) has an ice fishing season and is popular, but it's definitely not a cascade lake. If I were you I would call the Mill Creek WDFW and ask. Their number is 425-775-1311 (I think). Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Perplexin Texin

Perplexin Texin
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:02 am 
Brownster, I'm not sure if anyone would consider this lake as part of the Central Cascades or not, but it's probably close. Try Fish Lake in Chelan county. I spent four days on the water there last Spring and met some of the "locals". Apparently the ice fishing is good there by all accounts. A funny story too.... from what I hear they have an old VW Bug that they have filled up with cement. During the Winter, they drag it across the water until it falls in so they know what area is frozen sufficiently. Then they fish all winter and when Spring comes around again they pull the VW out of the water until the next Winter!! There are a couple of campgrounds open right on the lake (The Cove being one of them). The guys inside the store are always handing out some good and free advice. The lake is about three miles from Lake Wenatchee, 17 miles on the other side of Stevens Pass before you hit Leavenworth. During the Spring me and my buddies did some good fishing there while on a boat-- hopefully that will translate to good ice fishing? As far as I know, this lake holds rainbows, German browns, perch, a few bullheads, and a few bass. Hope this helps some!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 12:21 am 
Great idea. I can attest to the fact that Fish Lake holds german browns - some nice ones, too. But I caught mine in the middle of the summer from a float tube. (and was that a volkswagon I bumped???)

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
brownster145

brownster145
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 1:01 am 
Thanks guys. Interesting ideas. What about backcountry lakes, though? Lakes that cannot be accessed by car, only by foot [snowshoes]... Any lakes in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (Island lake, Rainbow lake, Pratt lake?) Once again, your help is appreciated.