Forum Index > Food & Grub > 'nother food thread: what's for breakfast?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 4:55 pm 
quilter wrote:
Quote:
i usually have oatmeal or rice pudding for breakfast, or bagels and cream cheese especially if i'm hiking near port angeles
I'll be hiking near Port Angeles. Is there a good bagel place? Also, how do you make rice pudding? I love rice pudding. We usually have oatmeal, then everybody can pick their favorite flavor. Those freeze-dried raspberries are good on top.
olympic bagel company, 2 blocks east of swain's general store on sr101 (first and francis). the most excellent, freshly-made bagels and whipped cream cheeses. they also make sandwiches to order, great place. they have a website www.olympicbagel.com rice pudding is easy- instant rice, raisins, nido dry whole milk, brown sugar, cinnamon. you can cook it in a pot or in freezer bags, sarbar has a recipe for it on her website (www.freezerbagcooking.com) but reduce the cinnamon to 1/2tsp... 1tsp is too much smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tennessee treader

tennessee treader
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 10:11 am 
Sounds good
Just ordered some of the Thai coffee packets. I was looking for something to free me from the Folgers Tea Bag coffee. I'll give a review after my next hike or just try one at home first.

baseball and hiking ... that's life!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 12:14 pm 
Better get back to work wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Scout

Scout
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 10:59 pm 
My most yummy Backpack breakfast ever was fresh blueberry pancakes with maple syrup (blueberries picked on the way to our camp on a 10 mile hike in the Glacier peak wilderness). Ohhhhhhh maaaaaannnnn. Other things are maryjanes oatmeal (the best oatmeal!) Mashed potatoes or potato pancakes Miso soup Green tea (helps with aching leg muscles)

Protect what you love so it lasts forever!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 10:59 am 
tennessee treader wrote:
Just ordered some of the Thai coffee packets. I was looking for something to free me from the Folgers Tea Bag coffee. I'll give a review after my next hike or just try one at home first.
I did coffee packets for awhile, but after awhile you get tired of them. Got sick of International Coffees after about 5 trips. I did Folgers tea bag packets for a summer, and still do occasionally, but only for utilitarian purposes (a very difficult trip). This stuff is convenient, but sooner or later, you will need to face the plain and simple fact: nothing beats the real thing. What I do now is take real coffee, toss it in boiling water, take the pot off the flame, and let the coffee steep a couple minutes. Then pour it through a permanent coffee filter screen (I just got an MSR filter, don't know whether or not it works well; my other came from an old coffee maker). That's real coffee, stuff you don't get tired of. Add cream and sugar if you want, but even if you take it that way normally, sissifying coffee is not needed in the backcountry.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 11:42 am 
Breakfast: Nothing Eating in the morning slows me down. I got peaks to bag. All I do is drink. Get up. Go.

Art is an adventure.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 4:58 pm 
For anyone who cares: If ya drink stuff like chai mixes, or International Flavor coffee mixes......put a Tbl or two of dry milk with each serving-it will give it much needed body, make it creamier and cut the chemical overtones wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 5:13 pm 
cup o' noodles.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 5:24 pm 
Cold Pizza doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
strider

strider
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 5:40 pm 
biscuts & gravy
Biscuts & gravy. See my post on Quarks' "dehydrating chicken" thread. Probably not a desirable option for those who subscribe to the "wake up and sprint" school of hiking, but if you prefer having a leisurely morning on trail occasionally (as I do), it works well.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
WTCrocker

WTCrocker
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 12:37 pm 
Hiker Boy wrote:
Coffee and Advil...the breakfast of champions!
Now were onto something, If you wake up in the morning and don't hurt somewhere, it's a sure sign that you died during the night. If I am still at the TH it's hashbrowns and home grown eggs and home grown bacon. If I am in the boonies it's usually home mixed museli with powdered milk or powdered Instant Breakfast (mixes ok with water). And coffee, lots of coffee. And whatever is left in the pan from the previous evening if the critters did'nt get it.

This the year!!
Vek

Vek
PostThu Jul 07, 2005 1:53 pm 
If I'm hunting (it seems like anymore the only time I go hiking is when I go hunting), I keep an energy bar and a nalgene of water or gatorade in my sleeping bag with me. That way, I eat in the sack, hydrate with non-headache-inducing (warm, not cold) fluid, dress, and climb. Once I'm seated on my rock, watching the sunrise, looking and listening for tasty furry woodland creatures, I break out a plain or sourdough bagel from the Bagelry in Bellingham, and eat it with about 1/2" of cream cheese spread. Or, if I need more protein, I'll eat one of those new bags of canned tuna (10/$10 at Albertsons on sale) and some ry-krisp. Deal of the century - went to a discount grocery store (damaged/expired goods) and bought a raft of slim-fast bars 6/$1. 250 calories each, with protein. Acceptable taste. If I'm hiking leisurely with my wife or others, I'll pack a real breakfast (and a real dinner too), because we never go that far. Fried eggs w/ deer sausage or panfried deer steak for breakfast, and stroganoff noodles/sauce with deer steak for dinner.

Jerry V.