Forum Index > Gear Talk > Any gear from Santa?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 8:12 pm 
Hey, Sawyer
You can have the car back if you'll give me that recipe for air sandwiches again. I need to diet. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 9:47 pm 
Sawyer's special Air Sammiches recipe (as handed down to me by my grandmother, who received it in turn from a yeti while chatting over a yak dung fire overlooking Nanga Parbut one brisk summer evening): Ingredients: (2) pieces macho bread, e.g. Touchstone Bakery "Walnut Wheat (my favorite) (1) sack to place the bread in. Should be airtight to avoid staleness. Procedure: 1. With a grand flourish, remove food bag from pack. 2. Bowing to your assembled cohorts, carefully remove qty (1) piece of slide bread from food bag. 3. Place bread on carefully brushed off lap (we don't want to add unnecessary roughage). 4. Announce to your hiking partners "Aha! Ze finale touche'", and with an even more pronounced flourish, whip out second piece of bread from food sack. 5. Wave bread through the air, gathering as much air as possible. Accepted forms are the S curve, the "Golden Gate" approach followed by a double gainer half twist, or the oft-used corkscrew manuever. This is all done with a triumphant look on your face, and oftentimes produces a pained look on your compadre's visages. 6. Carefully (never slam, never squish, never even squeeze out a molecule of air), place the second slice on the first. 7. Bring the assemblage to your grinning teeth, and with an utturance of pure, unadulterated joy, bite off a humongous chunk. The motion of your head should have a sideways complement to enhance the ripping effect. 8. Make your friends jealous and exclaim over and over how delicious, nutricious, and sublime this pure food can be. Then bribe them to give them the next car they photograph. Optional: - Use qty (3) pieces of bread - Blow on bread to add wholesome CO2 to the mixture (sometimes the air is too pure up in the mountains) - Leave small twigs, fir needles, and other roughage on your knee. A small portion will be picked up by the lower piece. This is acceptable only if you are not a hardened purist air sandwich connoiseur.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jan 02, 2003 11:49 pm 
I don't get it. If I parked my car there for a day I'd get one of those dadburned tickets, yet from the looks of it that guy is on a several month trek and he'll get back and drive away scott free. It ain't fair. mad.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 9:03 pm 
This season of giving didn't bring any gear my way but did bring two articles which I have greatly enjoyed. One is a book entitled "Eden Seekers: The Settlement of Oregon, 1818-1862" and the other is a fascinating map. The map is of the Oregon Territory in 1838. It was attached to a Congressional bill written by the junior senator from Missouri, Senator Linn. It proposed the extension of the border of the US along the 49th parallel from the Stoney Mtns (now called "The Rocky Mtns") to the Pacific. The present border wasn't decided until 1846 and it was along the lines proposed by this map. Historically it is quite significant.

JimK

JimK
PostFri Jan 03, 2003 9:50 pm 
49th parallel?? 54-40 or Fight!! Vancouver should be in Central Washington (North-South that is). smile.gif Read about President JimK Polk. 54-40 Or Fight!!