Forum Index > The Trading Post > Great supplier for sale - or closing
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 10:20 pm 
This is awful news. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134595847_chubby14.html Chubby and Tubby selling off inventory and for sale. Jeez.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 7:15 pm 
Man, what a bummer. For once, I'm speechless. Almost. I was raised with Chubby & Tubby. My mom used to buy my levis there every year for school. That would have been 30-40 years ago. Where else can I buy a Lodge 18" cast iron dutch oven, underwear, fuel cannisters for my Peak 1 Micro, fishing gear, an axe, and house paint, and grab a flat of geraniums on the way out the door? I'm going to write the authors of this newspaper article and see if there is any interest in a grass roots effort to save this place. Maybe Tim Eyman needs a new cause. Then again, maybe the owners, who reside in California, don't care. We lost the Dog House, and the PI globe was moved to the waterfront, which was sacrilegious. When Eagle (now Lowes) hardware moved on to the lot at 125th & Aurora the entire trailer park that had been there behind the store was forced to move, sell, etc. Sure, it was just a trailer park, but it was also a place where people who didn't make much money could afford to live. Try buying a house anywhere near 125th & Aurora now. Do we really want more strip malls, which is where this city is heading? I shop at Lowes, Home Depot, Sam's Club, and other chains only when I absolutely have to. I'd like to boycott them completely. Sorry people. Off the soapbox. My wife tells me I'm really getting to be an old fart, curmudgeon, etc., and she's right. I'm getting more and more resistant to change, and a luddite to boot. Can't wait to see what they'll eventually put up at the old Chubby & Tubby lot. Probably a combination Starbucks/Toshi's Terriyaki/checkmart/AM-PM Mini Market. Fun....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dante

Dante
PostFri Dec 20, 2002 2:43 pm 
Darn.
I'm going to miss Chubby & Tubby. I lived just west of the Aurora store when I was a little kid and walked past it every day to get to Kindergarten at Bagley Elementary School. My wife and I have also bought our Christmas tree at Chubby & Tubby every year we've lived together. When we lived downtown in Seattle and didn't own a car, we'd take the No. 7 Bus to the Ranier Ave. store--that used to amuse our fellow passengers. Oh well . . . there's always target or Wal-Mart bawl.gif

Odonata

Odonata
PostFri Dec 20, 2002 7:41 pm 
I can't believe it. Terrible news. I think I'm gonna have a Dick's burger to cheer me up.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Dec 20, 2002 9:52 pm 
Quote:
Chubby & Tubby's fabled Christmas-tree tradition traces back to the late 1940s, when the owners collected trees cut for power company right-of-ways and sold them for 97 cents. DiCecco said in 1997 that Frese and Auge sold the trees at a deep discount because they wanted everybody to be able to have a Christmas tree.
What a cool thing. Hey Dante, I've ridden the #7 as well. But most people could walk faster than the #7, even carrying a Christmas tree lol.gif lol.gif

Quark

Quark
PostSat Dec 21, 2002 11:49 pm 
Pray that Dick's isn't next. If that happens, I'm packing my bags and am heading to Metalline Falls, where Niketown, Bed Bath and Beyond and Old Navy won't ever find me. Has anyone ever been able to open the treasure chest at the back of the store at Christmastime? What's in there? My key never fits the chest. That's why they must stay in business - I average about one prize a decade, and I already won something this decade.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
T-Hiker

T-Hiker
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 6:26 pm 
very sad
nubbie to this area. very very sad!