Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What would you do?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 8:18 pm 
I wouldn't leave Washington state to live anyway else for any amount of money...been all over the world...and "there's no place like home"...Dorothy says.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 8:31 pm 
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've been to Europe all over the US (not to AK or HI unfortunately) and I love WA the best. I've lived here for almost 33 years and I would have no problem staying another 33. I'll just imagine there's no traffic mad.gif

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Nov 22, 2002 10:57 pm 
I absolutely love Washington and could not have picked a better place to move. But I definitely want to visit New Zealand. There's something magical and free about that place. Maybe it's just the Lord of the Rings movies. tongue.gif

El Puma

El Puma
PostSat Nov 23, 2002 6:35 pm 
GO! up.gif With all due respect to Catwoman, I was similarly "expedited" to an overseas stay and had the greatest time of my life. And your host-country is anglophone which makes things a lot easier. There will always be things you'll miss; but the local adventures and access to exploration (N. Island, Australia, DO NOT SKIP Macquarie Island) will more than make up for it. If you haven't read the book "Who moved my Cheese" do so. Takes 20 minutes, may open another world for you. The job itself may diversify your experience and enable you to be more choosy when you get back ( if)...

El Puma

El Puma
PostSun Dec 15, 2002 10:30 am 
Steve: Still here?
Steve, looks like your holiday season at least will be in WA... Did you make any decisions, or when do you have to do so? How does the rest of your family feel about NZL?

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Dec 16, 2002 8:06 am 
It would be a long post to fill you in on all the details. I met with the mgr from ANZ last Thursday and he asked if I would be interested in a lead engr position in Auckland but I have been offered a position in Christchurch (I am still waiting for the letter of offer and immigration app to arrive). I also got a call from Lockheed Martin but have yet to see if an offer will come of it. Job would most likely be in Ft Worth. My wife only wants to stay for 5 years which, for several reasons, makes the move less economically feasible so I may have to turn the job down. bawl.gif Boeing in also planning on starting a new airplane program next year which would make structures jobs more stable, although I don't know if I would be on that program on staying on the 767 program I am on now. The family otherwise wants to go but we still have some time to think about it.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Dec 17, 2002 12:25 pm 
Here is a related thread

Art is an adventure.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 8:29 am 
I received the ANZ offer through the mail while I was on my Christmas vacation. The offer was quite inadequate and also the job was in Auckland. A place I refuse to live for several reasons. After talking it over with the wife we have decided to reject the offer. A few weeks ago I had made a fairly detailed list of monthly expenses and had determined that I would need a lot more (due to the size of my family) than what I suspected they would offer me. As it turns out they offered me less than what I expected. I also have rejected the idea of moving down to Texas as we love the mountains too much to give them up. I have never liked hot weather (read 80+ deg) so the option that remains is to stay here until the Lazy B finally pulls of of the area or until they ax our jobs and give them to the Russians. In any case we are comfortable in our decision and although NZ is beautiful I don't think that as a permanent move it can offer as much as what I have right here and now.

El Puma

El Puma
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 9:17 am 
Steve, Congrats on getting that settled! Must be quite a relief for you and the family (especially kids) to know your (at least immediate) future. We thus look forward to encountering you on domestic hills in the coming year. Good choice on TX. Big Bend and Guadalupe are really cool, but fairly remote and the rest of TX SUCKS! (I worked for a TX company for a while and spent WAY too much time down there!) Happy hiking/snowshoeing/skiing in 2003 - do visit NZ on vacation if you get an opportunity. Cheers-

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostMon Nov 22, 2021 7:27 pm 
Bushwacker wrote:
Takes some getting used to because life is more laid back.
I'll bet that has changed. California used to be laid back, many decades ago.
Steve wrote:
A ~2000 sq ft home in an upscale neighborhood on .2 acre, less than 10 years old will be about 125,000 USD in Christchurch.
That definitely has changed.