Forum Index > Support & Feedback > How to include images in your posts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:08 pm 
UPDATE: as of May 2021 you no longer need a photo host and can upload images directly in your post. See here. If you want to post an image, you'll need a photo host or website. Not to worry! If you don't have a photo host we recommend using flickr or google photos to post images here. Why? They offer free accounts and we've made it very easy to include images in your posts (see below). flickr.com - upload the image to flickr - position your cursor where you want the image(s) to display in your post - just above where you post a message, enter your flickr username (or email) in the box to the left of the "Pics" button, then click on the "Pics" button - click on the photos you want to include in your post - that's it! (alternatively, just paste the link to the flickr image or page in your post) flickr notes: - if your flickr username or email doesn't work then enter the xxxxxxxx@yyy that appears here under "useful values" (you must be logged in to flickr to see this) and make sure your photos are not hidden from third party sites - by default, the description (or title) you give the image at flickr will be inserted in your post - You can select another caption option in the drop down that appears to the top right when inserting images - or add =some other caption after the URL in your post Google photos - upload the image to google photos - tip: create a generic share album (e.g. nwhikers) and add photos you want to share here to that album so you don't have to keep generating new share links every time - go to the album (or select a single photo or multiple photos if you don't want to put them in an album) and click on the < share icon at google photos to "get link" - position your cursor where you want the image(s) to display in your post - just above where you post a message, paste the link in the box to the left of the "Pics" button, then click on the "Pics" button - click on the photos you want to include in your post - that's it! SmugMug - upload the image to SmugMug - position your cursor where you want the image(s) to display in your post - just above where you post a message, enter your username.smugmug.com in the box to the left of the "Pics" button, then click on the "Pics" button - click on the photos you want to include in your post - that's it! (alternatively, see below) All other websites (including photobucket, websh#ts, imagestation, dropbox, etc.) - position your cursor where you want the image to display in your post - just above where you post a message, click on the IMG button, paste the URL of the image, then OK - that's it! - to add an image description, use the following format: [img]url[/img]=some description note for dropbox users: be sure to replace https://www.dropbox.com with https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:25 pm 
climbed observation rock which is the peak just in front of Rainier. this was taken at 6 am while haveing coffe in camp
climbed observation rock which is the peak just in front of Rainier. this was taken at 6 am while haveing coffe in camp
thanks tom

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:26 pm 
See, piece of cake wasn't it? hockeygrin.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:27 pm 
Tom wrote:
See, piece of cake wasn't it? hockeygrin.gif
if I can do it any one can embarassedlaugh.gif thanks

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:41 pm 
Best of all, I won't need to send daily PMs to those who upload large images on our server after neglecting to read the attachment guidelines. biggrin.gif Give it a whirl. It's easy, and now you can put pictures wherever you want in a post, not to mention post as many as you want. Just don't overdo it. paranoid.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 11:06 pm 
So what happens if flickr.com gets bought out by photomugopoly.net. Do all the links become toast, or do they get preserved somehow?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 11:35 pm 
flickr.com was recently acquired by Yahoo, so it's relatively safe from photomugopoly.net.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 1:03 am 
Lately I've been trying to limit myself to linking the two pics they allow at WTA, this will be a major upgrade, nice job Thomas! Edit: I just joined flickr, took like two minutes, very cool. Thanks again.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 2:22 am 
Slugman wrote:
I just joined flickr, took like two minutes, very cool.
ditto.gif This was easy and self explanatory - Thanks for the link, Tom.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 1:26 pm 
Let me try!
Our new neighbor
Our new neighbor
By the way, I love the "don't overdo it" bit. I'm going to post links to my entire photo collection, now! eyes.gif

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 2:09 pm 
polecatjoe, you may want to resize your pictures before uploading or you'll eat thru your 20MB monthly upload limit very quickly.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 2:45 pm 
Thanks, I think I have a handle on it now. Perhaps if I had read ALL of the instructions in the first place...

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 4:41 pm 
Let's see if this works. http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=28308812&size=s Nope. frown.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 pm 
Scrooge, I think the URL should look something like these:
Code:
http://photos23.flickr.com/28086619_3a2111f76e_m.jpg
or
Code:
http://photos23.flickr.com/28086619_3a2111f76e_s.jpg
gives
Ponds
Ponds
or
Ponds
Ponds

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 9:22 am 
Scrooge wrote:
Let's see if this works. http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=28308812&size=s Nope. frown.gif
Scrooge, it looks like you posted the URL of the webpage, not the picture. Right click on the picture (then properties) to get the URL.
Reflection in tarn below Yellow Aster Butte
Reflection in tarn below Yellow Aster Butte