Forum Index > Trip Reports > Solo Upon Mt. Pilchuck (Jan. 8, 2003)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jan 08, 2003 8:03 pm 
With the cold weather and low temperatures at night (20s-30s) we've been having, I knew the mountain (Pilchuck) was just about ripe (frozen) for a climb, so today I grabbed my mountain gear to include crampons (ice fangs for the boots) and headed once again for "Home" to the mountain. The highway was icy as I drove out of Granite Falls towards Verlot...the road up Pilchuck not bad but with ice and snow the last mile or so. Just before that, was a car parked and I concluded I might not be alone today. At the landing, on came the gear and off I went on a blue-blue sky day. I knew very well there was impending weather coming in a few days, and that thought stayed in my mind as I climbed...today would be a "No Cloud In The Sky Day!" The type we always wish we have during the winter. Upon the mountain I found the conditions rather interesting: the upper section icy especially where people had traversed previously, and the open slope section a postholing we go, as well as some vertical spots one doesn't slip at. Nevertheless, I continued on and as I gained the saddle I met a fellow named Frank. He too was out for the day upon the mountain. And slowly, about a hundred feet apart we ascended the western side to just below the top. There Frank and I had great conversation for about 1/2 an hour and then we separated as I went onto the Lookout where I signed the registry at 11:55 AM. Interesting to see Beave and Scott's name recently noted upon the papers. Meanwhile, Frank had some lunch and relaxed a bit out on the point for a spell and then bid me good-bye. "Crampons needed going back down," we agreed upon. Added note: the snow conditions this year as compared to last winter seem about 8-10 feet less. Out came my camera and the 360 degree view was taken...the surrounding mountains simply spectacular with Baker, Glacier Peak and Rainier dominating the horizons. And I thought of Kerouac's, "Alone On A Mountain Top" short story (one of the many which led to many of his books) as it befit the scene and mood that I felt. A few hours went by and then a plane circled the peak and I waved from the pinnacle I stood on nearby the Lookout. Certainly, other than Frank earlier in the day, I was indeed alone on the mountain top! And as the sun began to lower in the West, down the mountain I trekked with skipoles for stability as well as crampons on the feet. I ran across a trail hiker out for just an hour or so near the parking landing, and another fellow in his truck who said he had been snow-shoeing a little ways up by the old ski lift. And as I neared my truck I gazed back upon the mountain top...indeed it had been an aloof feeling today.....solo trek and alone on a mountain top. Ken J. (McPilchuck) for other photos and reads of Mt. Pilchuck see, http://www.AlpineQuest.com/mtpilchuckpage.htm

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
A Lookout Hiker

A Lookout Hiker
PostThu Jan 09, 2003 12:51 pm 
Mt. Pilchuck has always fascinated me, thanks for sharing the wonderful photos and stories, BTW I really really liked your Pilchuck She-Cat sunset photo and stuff by the Iceland Poet - outstanding! Thanks again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster