Forum Index > Trail Talk > Like the Enchantments?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 5:49 pm 
Seeing all those photos of the Enchantments this year has got me to wondering: Is there/are there similar places to trek to? I know all places are unique but there must be some other place. Someplace that doesn't require the good luck to get 'The' permits? Even if there was some drive time involved that would be ok. I wanna start planning. The place has burnt an image in my mind that won't leave. Any help? TIA NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 8:53 pm 
Almost as enchanting as the Enchantments
Tuck and Robin Lakes but don't stop at the first lake. It's crowded and noisy and too close to the trailhead. Go all the way to the higher lakes and you'll be in Enchantment-like territory (but on a smaller scale). It's in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness and it's written up in the mainstream hiking guides. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Jan 04, 2003 10:24 pm 
While not like the Enchantments in character, the loop through the Ladies Lakes is really nice. They are also off the Icicle Creek Road. I've never done the whole loop but have hiked to Lake Mary from the one side and up Chatter Creek from the other. It would be nice to do a 3-4 day trip and spend some time at all the lakes.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 12:38 am 
P-bear, the Wind River Range in Wyoming is the way to go. TURBO Entchantments! Ask Mr. Curtis, he'll tell you. Let's make a trip plan there. PS, does that mean that you have NEVER been in there P? OH MY GOD, LET'S GO THIS YEAR! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
IBEX

IBEX
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 1:59 am 
I always thought that Ice Lakes was kinda enchancy. And then there is Snowy Lakes. That's nice too. I also like the feel of Wing Lake. You can also find polished rock and Larch trees in Stilletto Basin.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 10:56 am 
I do not want to be a spoil sport but there are literally hundreds of high lake basins in the Eastern Sierra that are nearly identical to the Enchantmentsi.e. 60 Lakes Basin, Evolution Basin, and Ansel Adams Wilderness etc. They are much less crowded and have similar climbng opertunities. Check out the recentlyreprinted High Sierra Traverse guide published by the Mounties. In fact, any high granite area will be similar.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 11:44 am 
Thanks for the ideas. Now I can spend some time searching and planning. I like the idea of the less traveled way. A little less impact. I would never have thought the places like Wyoming and the Sierras would even be remotely similar. Guess I don't know much. Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 12:12 pm 
BPJ, I've been to the Enchantments but not the Wind River Range. I up.gif ve always been a bit nervous about grizzlies, although polar bears don up.gif t scare me. What little I've seen of the Sierras makes me want to return.
sierra
sierra

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 12:44 pm 
Heck P-bear, Ill go with ya, and I'll carry a REALLY big gun! Seriously though, we'll arm ourselves with TURBO pepper spray and we'll be OHTAY! Mr. Curtis has some great tales about the Winds. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 1:15 pm 
As you all may or may not know, I'm a hopeless Enchantment addict. Are there other places? Of course. I whet my backpacking appetite in the Sierra's and as MalCon so aptly pointed out the Sierra's, particularly the areas he mentioned are super. However, closer to home, I'd have to mentiion Entiat Meadows/Ice Lakes as a great area. Rambling throughout all of the Foss Lakes area, with Big Heart, Angeline, Otter, etc can make a good way to go. Also don't forget the Eagle Cap Wilderness area in Northeastern Oregon, spectacular country with often better weather. There are plenty of good choices for multi day rambles. I just happen to love the Enchantments as they are so Sierra like and fairly close to home. As far as permits go, if everyone here would put in for a permit, for sometime in Sept/Oct, you'd have a better chance of getting in. Remember that putting in for the middle of the week works best and Leavenworth Ranger station for permits by March 1st. If several end up getting permits, and you have a space available, be sure to let me know, I'm always up for an Enchantment trip. wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jan 05, 2003 1:41 pm 
As Good As The Enchantments!
I also love the Enchantments! However, The Golden Lakes Loop in the Okanogan can offer far more solitude, much more wildlife, and just as much adventure as the Enchantments over a much larger area. There are five lake basins, over 23 miles in recognized trails, multiple high altitude passes, and endless opportunities to scramble to peaks above 8,000 feet or between basins. There are bears, moose, deer, great fishing opportunities, and when the weather turns, it gets nasty! Depending on the snowfall, The Golden Lakes Loop opens up in late June early July. The snow cover on Horsehead Pass at 7,600 feet, Deadman’s Pass at 7,400 feet, and the Pass above Lake Cooney at 8,000 feet keeps the horse packers and motorcycles out. During our last trip from 6/30/02 – 7/4/02, we encountered one other couple for a total of 10 minutes. The best time to ensure solitude is to visit early in the season while snow blocks the passes, or anytime mid week, especially later in the season. I have enclosed a link to my last trail report to the Golden Lakes Loop. www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=707

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 2:27 pm 
Beartooth Range in MT, WY--vast amount of country to get lost in plus excellent fishing.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 10, 2003 6:01 am 
That Snowy Lakes and Golden Lakes Loop look pretty good even tho I'm not keen on running into bikes. I've always feared a conflict at a corner where I was the looser. Thanks for all the ideas. Far more than I expected. NN up.gif