Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hydration systems
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 31, 2002 6:27 pm 
Don't knock it until you've tried it. They really do help keep you hydrated because you can take a sip whenever you want - you don't need to stop and take off your pack to get a drink. Best $20 I ever spent.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostThu Oct 31, 2002 8:50 pm 
As to the original question, I use a coat hanger to dry mine out. If you have a large enough opening this works really well.

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Nov 08, 2002 7:10 pm 
What's so silly about easy access to water? Sure you can carry a water bottle but I know I'm more likely to stay hydrated when I can just drink from the tube as I hike. Maybe others are more coordinated walking and drinking from a water bottle. More power to you. By the way, this post is from my wife Packpup. I myself am more than coordinated enough to drink from a water bottle while walking.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 06, 2003 10:57 am 
Stefan wrote:
Does anybody know how much these things weigh? They now look like the best alternative to the Blackburn sacks which I believe are discontinued. Can anybody find the weight on these things? I have tried but failed! http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/10538/UTI/photo/
DO NOT GET THIS AS YOUR BLADDER! I GOT ONE. The size is not what they are. For example, I got the 64 oz size. It fills up probably 50 oz. In addition the bite valve leaks when the bladder is under pressure!

Art is an adventure.
longhair27

longhair27
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 11:43 pm 
Hydration Bladder Care
I have two Platypus hydration bladders (1.5 & 2.5 liters) and have yet to experience any problems nor leaks! I read somewhere that storing an H2o Filter Element (such as my PUR Hiker's) in the freezer at home effectively stops bacteria growth. I always store my two H2o hydration bladders and all my Nalgene Lexan bottles in the freezer between trips. Cascade Design's H2o bladders and the drink hose I also "freeze." I like the fact that I can safely fill a 1/3rd of each bladder up with water and freeze them before my summer trips with no worries. They really have a great product. The fact that these bladders are clear (unlike MSR and Gregory's) is great when it comes time to clean 'em. Cascade D's and your local Bartell's sell little long handled brushes that are perfect for cleaning. Since I don't use drink mixes in my bladders there is little cleaning to do. Nalgene Lexan water bottles on the other hand, I've noticed black crud on the threads that I'm not quite sure how to deal with. I don't believe a stiff wire brush would be good for the threads? Hence, why I've been freezing all my H2o containers as soon as I get in the house after each of my trips. I buy Gookinade energy drink mix by the tub at REI that I use exclusively with my Nalgene Lexan bottles. Am not sure if a bladder system would be a pain to clean or not using drink mixes? I suppose I could mix some up in a pint size lexan first and that add that to my Platypus bladder? Anyway, I'd freeze your bladders for now on.