Forum Index > Trip Reports > MRNP Skyline Loop Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 11:23 am 
Before you read this, be advised I'm sparing alot of the details as I know there have been numerous other postings recently for travels on this trail. A quick search should reveal them. On Saturday (8/13/05) I went to Paradise to do this trail. Weather was sunny and warm... almost Hot, but a steady light breeze helped keep us comfortable. We did the full loop (clockwise), using the 'High Skyline' route to maximize our views and to avoid crossing the only snowfield left on the main trail. FWIW - there was a group or two practicing snow/glacier travel on that snowfield. We watched them for a while while eating lunch. As other mentioned, this is a heavilly used trail, and I was utterly amazed at just how many people were out there... through the whole loop. I expected that we'd see fewer and fewer people as we went higher and higher... but that just wasn't the case. Young, old, large, small, prepared, unprepared, you name it and I think we saw it. There were numerous squirrels along the trail, but too fast for me to catch on film. We also saw a deer near the parking lot, and a buck snacking and napping a ways up a hillside (too far away to even qualify for a pixel or two) - our appreciation to the young couple who took the time to point it out to us (amongst their ongoing spat by the looks of it). rolleyes.gif There were still a few flowers here and there... but as evidenced by pics from earlier reports, we missed the peak season for blooms. Total mileage from car-to-car was about 6.4 miles, and we spent probably 5.5 hours on the trail, stopping for lots of pictures and tripod setup. I highly recommend this trail - provided you aren't expecting any solitude. However, Tourists beware... there is not a Starbucks at Paradise, or anywhere along this trail. eek.gif Here are a few pics for your enjoyment.
Flowers & Mountain
Flowers & Mountain
Stream, Flowers and Mountain
Stream, Flowers and Mountain
Vertical Rocks
Vertical Rocks
Spectacular Trail
Spectacular Trail

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 12:11 pm 
The Rock picture is incredible. It looks like a crystal formation up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 12:33 pm 
Bomber, alot of bang for the hike !

Living in the Anthropocene
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 12:34 pm 
It was very unusual - but I did see it in two or three places along the trail - but this was the closest. Reminded me of the Superman movie where Superman had his 'headquarters' in some kind of crystal (or was it ice?) castle/cavern thing. There is an equally unusual rock formation on the last leg of the drive to Artist Point on Mt Baker - looks like Mother Nature stuck a spatula in the rocks and gave one full swirl. I keep meaning to get a picture of it (but never do). Thanks for the comment.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
liembo

liembo
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 5:00 pm 
I came across something very similar on the Spray Park side: The jaggies were near the top, but they made this huge scree pile:
And a smaller outcrop:

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 7:50 pm 
Thanks for sharing those liembo! I'm curious to know if they were made that way from volcanic activity or if it is simply from annual freeze/defrost. By the way - nice Avatar!