Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hilleberg Nallo Users
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gary

gary
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 7:07 pm 
Anybody own or use a Nallo tent? I see that JimK has/had the three-person model. Jim, did you get a footprint for yours? I don't think I've ever seen a tent that had a footprint for the vestibule area... This seems like an ideal tent for use in light snow (albeit expensive). Any raves or rants?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 8:20 pm 
Gary, Nothing but raves. I love mine. I use 2 mil plastic for a footprint. On snow I dig out the vestibule to greatly increase the size. Two big guys fit with room to spare in the Nallo 3. Three could fit in a pinch. It's still only 5 1/4 lbs. Many nice touches like a vestibule that opens to the right, the left, or in front. The inner and outer tents go up together. Set it up in the rain and the inner tent is dry. One person can easily set it up in a howling wind as the poles go in on one side and fit pockets on the other side. You can unclip part of the inner to expand the vestibule. It does not leak without any seam sealing. Minimal seams due to good design. Head on over to Redmond and take a look for yourself. It's one of their lightweight tents so I would not use it in a blizzard, at least not without adding second poles (Sleeves are designed to take two each). Of course, I don't go out into blizzards.
Nallo On Mt. Adams
Nallo On Mt. Adams
Nallo On Iron Peak
Nallo On Iron Peak

gary

gary
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 9:26 pm 
There's a retailer here in Olympia that stocks most all their models. I was looking at the Akto and the Nallo2. I was impressed with everything I saw, from features to quality. I'm 6'2", so I was a little dissatisfied w/ the interior height of the Akto. One of the two store employees that were helping me showed how to raise the height a little. He said he personally has 3 different models and loved them all. I still think the Akto's height is too small for me. Length seemed fine. Although the Nallo supposedly has the same size interior space as my Zoid2, it looked way bigger. I'm attributing that to more vertical walls and more headroom. Oddly, the Nallo was packaged with two different types of stakes. About 2/5's were needle stakes and the rest were a thin v shape. I don't think I'd like the v shaped ones. Looks like a heck of a tent!

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 10:44 pm 
gary wrote:
There's a retailer here in Olympia that stocks most all their models.
Pray tell, who is this retailer and where in Oly is it located? I'd like to compare a few Hillebergs.

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 10:55 pm 
gary, I have the Akto. Love it. A small one person lightweight tent prolly isn't designed with sitting-up room in mind. I'm not 6.2 though, so height isn't a consideration for me. The length is great, though. One thing about the Akto though; it heats up quickly. There are 2 vents, at the head and the foot, and a door vent. If you're using the fly, all vents are inhibited somewhat by the fly, so even when they're open, it can get warm inside. I use a lighter sleeping bag as a result. The tent pitches without the fly (you have to purchase a special pole to use that feature). I've never been assured of 100% dry weather, so haven't used that feature. The only thing wierd are the stakes that come with the tent. they have too slight a curve on the head, so the guy lines slipped off them when the tent bucked and kicked in high wind on it's maiden voyage, so I purchased stakes with loopier heads. I use plastic sheeting as a groundcloth when I feel I need one.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Aug 23, 2005 1:21 pm 
I am 6'1" and also a happy Akto user. I have replaced the guylines with reflective Kelty Triptease line and replaced the Hilleberg pegs with Lazr HI-VIS Ti tent stakes. I can sit up in the center. The only issue I have with it is condensation on the inner fly when camped at dewpoint with no breeze...I guess all tents could have this problem. As for the Nallo, I have some friends who use one. They like it but notice the same condensation issues. They also commented to me that they found the Nallo 2 a bit cozy for two tall people.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 8:16 pm 
Anybody use the Nallo 2 inner tent as a standalone tent in the summer? (No rain in sight of course!) I understand it can be used as such with the purchase of 4 pole holders, and may only weigh about 1.5 lbs in this configuration.... With the added bonus of adding the fly for rainy, or snowy weather. Seems almost too good to be true!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Mar 23, 2006 11:29 pm 
I have the Akto, and I bought it with the footprint. I used it in the summer (on Ross Lake) and in the winter. Excellent in all seasons. I'm /thinking/ of buying a Nallo 3 sometime in spring.

hermes

hermes
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 2:52 am 
Nallo is da bomb. I use a Nallo 2 for both solo and 2 person outings, all seasons. After going through several cheap tents I decided it was worth the peace of mind (esp when backpacking with the kid) to be absolutely sure we have a dry place to spend the night and that's exactly the assurance the Nallo provides. I've never used the tent without the fly (though, in calm weather I usually raise the foot of the fly which greatly increases ventilation) and never carried a footprint for it (even when camping on snow). 3 years now and it doesn't show any wear whatsoever.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 3:28 am 
I LOVE these tents, but have a tough time dealing with the weights! Do you all find that they run true to advertised in the weight department? After so many years doing the tarp tent thing the thought of 4+ pounds is killing me! Thanks. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
JimK

JimK
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 7:59 am 
My Nallo was dead on 5lbs 4 oz. on a Post Office scale. That included the extra pole segment, pole splint, and 13 stakes. BPJ, I use a Tarptent Squall and now my new Tarptent Rainbow for the summer but the Nallo 3 is a palace in snow or bad weather when splitting just over 5 lbs for two people.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 9:26 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
I have the Akto, and I bought it with the footprint.
SeaW, when did you buy your Akto? I got mine in '01 and at the time they didn't offer footprints (I never purchase them anyway, I used them only rarely, and I cut my own from a roll of thin plastic I bought at Fred Meyer). A freind of mine was interested in a footprint, so I asked the Hilleberg lady about it, and she said footprints are an American thing, and tents made elsewhere don't include footprints. Kat, I've never pitched the tent without the fly; I did purchase the extra pole for that purpose, but with either rain or heavy dew, I have never found pitching it that was to be a possibility for me.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 9:55 am 
I bought the footprint from AAI in Bellingham (Fairhaven, really). It was a separate cost item from the tent, but well worth it. The footprint is very light, and packs tiny! I wanted one so I could have a 'floor' in my vestibule as well as a 'underfloor' for my tent.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 10:03 am 
Hey, I do that too! I actually always take a small square of plastic for my vestibule even if I don't take the footprint.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 11:11 am 
I think we've talked about this a bit before, but what is the advantage to using a footprint?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods