Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snow shoeing and snow camping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Earnie Glazener

Earnie Glazener
PostThu Jan 23, 2003 10:47 pm 
I am a scoutmaster of a boy scout troop in Sammamish. We have a group of 12 and 13 year olds in the troop that wants to do some snow camping (in tents). The group, with adults, will be about 9 to 12 people. I wonder if you might help us on finding a suitable location? The boys would like a location they can snow shoe into that has no or extremely low avalanche danger, where they can setup up tent camp and stay for two nights. They would like to pack in some light weight sleds for sledding, build snow caves/igloos, etc. The sledding is important to them. They have had the experience of two snow camping outings, but those were with camps set up a short hike from the car (almost car camping). They do have extensive hiking and back country experience (including a 50 mile hike last summer). This will be their first snow shoeing snow camping a good distance away from the vehicles (but they are used to longer 1 to 3 nights (2 to 4 days) hikes in the spring and summer but not in the winter), so I would think a 1.5 to 2 mile hike on snow shoes in (3 to 4 miles round trip) would be ideal. We could probably even push them to 6 miles round trip, but I want to keep it fun for them. Any thoughts? Would like something relatively close, but we are willing to drive to a great location. The other concern is solitude. The last thing I want is to get a place with tons of snow mobiles (Gold Creek, for example) or big crowds. This will be a Th-Fr-Sat outing in late February. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Jan 24, 2003 10:00 pm 
Earnie, I'm not the person to answer your question as I don't have snow camping experience, but you might want to check out this Excel spreadsheet which looked pretty interesting. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=13941#13941 Also you might want to look at Dan Nelson's Snowshoe Routes which you can find at the REI. Lots of good trail descriptions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostFri Jan 24, 2003 11:25 pm 
Artist Point
Look into a place called Artist Point. It is up by Mount Baker. About a 5.5 mile hike, with lots of open fields, and nice big hills for sledding.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 24, 2003 11:59 pm 
Reflection lakes is nice and easy too . You can then go either from Narada falls or paradise. Then you can go up either Mazama Ridge or near Pinacle peak in the tatoosh. My daughters first snow camp as ther at 1 year. Great views of Rainier, easy trip.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Marmot

Marmot
PostMon Jan 27, 2003 9:42 am 
Based on what you're looking for, I'd not go to artist's point. To get up to artists point, you have to cross a couple of slopes that in moderate to high avalanche conditions, are soil your pants scary! I've been up there the last three years. The last two for over nighters, and ended up in blizards with high avalanche conditions. I'm not making the return trip this year. Reflection Lake on Rainier is a good suggestion. My one word of caution, is when you make the traverse at the top of the hill, space out a bit, and have the scouts keep well to the uphill side of the traverse. You are on the road, but last year the trail was along the downslope side of the road, with a nasty slide down into narada falls. DON'T SLIP THERE! Another option is the East Fork Foss River. My wife (Otter) and I went in there just before the new year. Not enough snow for snowshoes, but a nice hike anyway. It doesn't really meet your requirements, as it's about four or five miles to a good camp for the group, and there's no real places for sledding once you're on the trail. But, it's a nice forest hike, and pretty free from avalanche danger. I would agree with picking up Dan Nelson's book. All three of these hikes are in it, along wth several others. Be aware that if you go out of Artists Point, or any others leaving from Mt. Baker ski area, they do require the party carry avalanche transvievers, and shovels. Purchase/rental of these may not be an option for a group of scouts, and they're useless without training in their use anyway.

Earnie Glazener

Earnie Glazener
PostMon Jan 27, 2003 3:10 pm 
Has anyone been to these?
I've purchased Dan Nelson's book, and the following look interesting: Heather Lake Artist Point Skyline Lake Source Lake Commonwealth Basin Mazama Ridge Panorama Point Has anyone been to any of these? My concerns with each are as follows: Heather Lake (will there be snow? are there any hills for sledding/sliding?) Artist Point (crowds?) Skyline Lake (will there be snow?) Source Lake (will there be snow? crowds?) Commonwealth Basin (will there be snow? crowds?) Mazama Ridge (will there be snow? can you sled in the Rainier area?) Panorama Point (will there be snow? can you sled in the Rainier area?) Anyone have any info on these? Thanks again.

Earnie Glazener

Earnie Glazener
PostMon Jan 27, 2003 3:17 pm 
Thanks, Marmot!
Thanks, Marmot! Are you familiar with any of the other places on the list in my last post?

Bungee Boy

Bungee Boy
PostMon Jan 27, 2003 3:24 pm 
For taking a bunch of scouts you want an area that is relatively east to get to, where there is decent free parking and high enough to where you will have lots of snow and more likely to get snowed on instead of rained on. Unfortuneately we don't live in the Upper Midwest or New England where it won't rain there for another couple of months but anyways. With this in mind my suggestions would be either: 1.Artist Point at Mt. Baker Ski Area or 2.Skyline ridge area of Stevens Pass. If you want the protection of the woods you could go to Commonwealth Basin or up Alpental Valley towards Source Lake, although I'm not sure on the overnight parking at Snoqualmie Pass and you risk the big drip. Have fun be safe.

Ever Upwards
Marmot

Marmot
PostMon Jan 27, 2003 4:12 pm 
I'd have to look at the book and maps when I get home for Heather Lake, Skyline Lake and Mazama Ridge. Source Lake and Commonwealth Basin, according to Nelson, can tend towards moderate to high avalanche danger. I'd prolly shy away from Source unless the conditions are excellent and risk is low. Commonwealth, you may be able to go with slightly higher risk (check the topos and you'll see why the risk is their). Parking for Commonwealth, I'd park at Summit West. I used to overnight park when teaching skiing there (Fri - Sun). But, it's been 8 years, so I'm not sure what the parking situation would be now. Source Lake, you'd park at Alpental ski area. I'm not sure how conditions would be to Panorama Point. I've done it before, but not in winter. Hard snow, so hiked it in boots. You may be able to get a good way to an overlook above the Nisqually Glacier. Prolly a 45 minute to hour hike wihtout shoes...maybe more in snowshoes. I've seen folks snowboarding in a couple areas here, I think you may be able to sled there. I'd check with the park. They'll require a permit to overnight camp there, but it doesn't cost. I think snow above Paradise is a pretty safe bet. Again, call the park. I've not been out on my shoes once this year. Timing and lack of snow kept getting in the way. So, I'm not sure what the different areas are like.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 27, 2003 4:42 pm 
In the early 70's there was a father with two daughters who snowshoed into Source Lake and camped in Jan. An avalanche came down atnight and their bodies were not recovered until June. In the 80's at least one skier was killed there. There are at least three major chutes that drop into source lake. I avoid the place. shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowshooter

Snowshooter
PostMon Jan 27, 2003 7:56 pm 
Quote:
Heather Lake (will there be snow? are there any hills for sledding/sliding?) Artist Point (crowds?) Skyline Lake (will there be snow?) Source Lake (will there be snow? crowds?) Commonwealth Basin (will there be snow? crowds?) Mazama Ridge (will there be snow? can you sled in the Rainier area?) Panorama Point (will there be snow? can you sled in the Rainier area?)
Heather Lake: no snow right now. Artist point: yes on crowds, and it's avalanchy. But spectacular scenery. Source Lake: dangerous, stay away. COmmonwealth Basin: I think this is relatively safe if you head cross country to get there (instead of the PCT).