Forum Index > Pacific NW History > an historic look at the PCT (then CCT) through the now ALW
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Maarten
Silly

Maarten
Silly
PostThu Sep 15, 2005 7:36 pm 
marylou wrote:
When I got home I was looking at the Goldmyer newsletter which says the upper valley had never been logged. I'm no expert, but was pretty sure the area had seen logging activity, and was glad to see that I'm not completely blind, and that the area had been logged before.
Maybe the Goldmyer people meant that the upper parts of the Burntboot Creek valley have not been logged? (I haven't been up that valley...)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 7:13 am 
Here's a portion of an old map I scanned. This is the area ML talks about...it doesn't look like the road extends past Goldmeyer?
portion of Cascade Crest Trail map, Washington (1965)
portion of Cascade Crest Trail map, Washington (1965)
I have the whole map available as a .PDF as well if anyone is interested, though it's in two rather large files.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 8:34 am 
I have the Original 100 hikes (1966) and it talks about active logging at the end of the MFR. Picture of a bunch of mounties by Pedro camp w/trapper nelsons. The road was a lot better then also.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Sep 16, 2005 9:48 pm 
Kleet, If Old Man Goldmeyer had had it his way the road's would have gone over Dutch Miller Gap into Eastern Washington, and he would have been rich; not from timber but from water. As it was I think that it only went about one mile beyond G. Hotspring's - it's hard to tell where the buggy road's used to be. Goldmeyer was a original pioneer who had a donation claim at Sand Point in Seattle - now a city park. He was a farmer there. And like his other pioneer neighbor's he was roaming up in the Cascade range looking for mineral wealth. And he found it in the water. Goldmeyer Hotspring's. It was his dream that a main road over the mountains into Eastern Washington would be built over The Gap - and he would have a hot tub resort for the masses. He had the claim. He had the smelly hot water right out of the ground. He built a lodge and pipe's, etc. and he had it all together. But, his hopes were dashed when the road's didn't go that way. I should qualify this info. by saying that it is an oral history passed to me around 1966 from an elder person at Goldmeyer.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.