Forum Index > Gear Talk > hennessey hammock straps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 2:03 pm 
I recently bought a hennessy hammock and was wondering what size of straps others use to wrap around the tree. The strap that came with the hanmmock were for 15" tree trunks and this is too small to wrap around most PNW trees. The kind folks at Hennessey offered to send an extention strap or make one larger. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the best size of tree strap? Polarbear, loved the picture of jade lake and no name lake. Just another reason to look forward to Spring '03 Drock

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 5:34 pm 
Hi: You'll enjoy the HH although there is a little learning curve to deal with. What pad to use to keep warm, etc. As far as the straps, instead of adding a longer strap ala Tom Hennessey, I use a spectra climbers strap that I bought at REI. They come in different lengths, are fairly light but very strong. I also find a DMM wire gate carabiner helpful. I love my HH.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 11:42 pm 
hennessey hook up
Cascade hiker, Thanks for the picture showing your hammock hookup. I was considering a similar idea with a tree in my backyard using webbing but didn't get to the point of using a biner. I am going to assume you tie a figure 8 knot to hook up to the biner or a like method ? My problem is that my wife won't let me tie the hammock to my fence, the tree being a-o-k so I haven't even tried it hanging in the hammock with the work week and the early evenings. My original idea was to wrap some tubular webbing around the tree and tie it taut with a water knot, then wrap the hammock line inside the webbing loop. Wonder what our hennessey neighbors use ? Drock

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 15, 2003 2:08 am 
Quite honestly, I've never had a problem with large diameter trees. Maybe I just hike higher where the trees are thinner biggrin.gif. The most important thing to learn is how to tie the straps properly. You don't want to be figuring this out while swarms of mosquitos are taking a libation of blood. Ahh, memories of summer! If you tie the straps the wrong way you'll need a knife to get your hammock down. Leave the biner (and longer straps) at home and save the weight.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 7:02 am 
Here's an excellent informative place to learn more about the HH and a lot of interesting information is added on this page as well. The same guy has an outstanding gear review of the HH on this page and on this page too. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160