Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mystery Cabin in the North Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostMon Feb 03, 2003 11:04 am 
I wasn't looking for this but found it off-trail in an "undisclosed location". I don't intend to write up the location of the cabin for publication but if you want to know how to get to it you can send me an email and I'll tell you where to find it. It's actually pretty easy to get there. Karen
second copy of old cabin feb 03
second copy of old cabin feb 03

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 10:51 am 
Looks pretty dang old Miss. Karen. Good luck with your search. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Karen

Karen
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 12:08 pm 
Hey, Backpacker Joe
Do you own that plane? I haven't followed all the posts over the past year or so. Just curious. If so, have you ever taken your plane to Lake Isabel? Or driven one of your vehicles up there?? My ex-husband and I once tried to climb Mt Baring in a Jeep Wagoneer and almost made it. Well, maybe not quite. Karen

One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 8:17 pm 
Homey
This looks like a very "homey" place to over night it.....

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 8:31 pm 
.... I don't know. Maybe have to throw a tarp over it if it rains. Difinitely a fixer upper. Karen, Was that car found near the cabin? Could be some neat-o stuff hiding in the bushes. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Feb 05, 2003 9:49 am 
Don't tell anyone about it, or it will turn into a meth lab!

Art is an adventure.
Karen

Karen
PostWed Feb 05, 2003 11:57 am 
Newbie, the old car ....
is situated in a different location. The car is right off a road (I think it's the Sauk Store Road near Concrete). If it's not THAT road it's one of the nearby roads marked dead-end that lead to the river. You'll see the car on your left and on your right an old abandoned trailer and a collapsed building but it was so brushy we didn't attempt to go into them. However, there were a lot of things laying near the cabin which is not accessed from a road -- an old bath tub, sinks, a faucet sticking out of the brush, and pieces of machinery that I couldn't identify for the life of me (maybe some guy could). Stefan, we approached the old cabin with some trepidation (we thought of meth labs too) but it doesn't appear to be anything like that and I won't disclose the exact location of the cabin except by private email for that very reason. I'd hate to see it turned into one though the cabin is so frail that I don't think anyone could make much of it. I know you can't walk to it yet but when you are up to hiking again let me know and I will email you and tell you where to find it. It's only about 3/4 of a mile. Karen

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Feb 05, 2003 12:24 pm 
Cabin in the woods
That cabin looks alot like a shelter I spent the night in during a monsoon hiking on the upper Elwah. I had to rig 2 tarps, 1 inside, 1 outside to stay dry. I know that you said the cabin was in the North Cascades, but I could'nt help but notice the resemblance.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Feb 06, 2003 1:12 pm 
Karen wrote:
I know you can't walk to it yet but when you are up to hiking again let me know and I will email you and tell you where to find it. It's only about 3/4 of a mile.
Ha! I can walk to it. I have been walking for the past month, just not climbing...... I also don't have have enough strength to kick someone in the behind yet. I would like to see it. You can email me on this board. Thanks! Stefan

Art is an adventure.