Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Book Gloating, Part IV
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Oct 04, 2005 10:04 pm 
Remember I got on the wrong bus and I got dropped off in front of a used bookstore in Fremont instead of in front the third world burned out Safeway where I usually get off? Well. Lemmetellyawhatigot. A book researched and written over a period of about 3-4 years by Cleveland HS students, supervised by their teachers, and published in 1941. It's called, Duwamish. It's written in 1st person, the River being the narrator, telling it's history, telling stories of the founders, entrepreneurs, etc, of Seattle. The book highlights South Park, Georgetown, and Beacon Hill. The schoolkids interviewed locals, wracked public and UW libraries, haunted the county buildings, etc - lots of information, tons of pictures, and it's very well written. Can you imagine - in 1940 or so, interviewing someone who's 70 years old - man, these stories are almost from the horses' mouth! I also got a first ed. WPA book on Washington. They did them for all the states (well, they intended to - not sure if all the states actually were completed). Very, very cool stuff.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Oct 04, 2005 10:19 pm 
You're boring. moon.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Oct 05, 2005 4:56 am 
My mistake - the book was published in 1949, not 1941, and it's called "Duwamish Diary." I had 1941 on the brain, as that's when the WPA project was printed. You think that's boring, wait'll you find out what else I bought. I dont have it in hand yet; but when I do, I'll blab about it. Everyone will be jealous. Anyone with some sense, that is...I mean I'm jealous of me, and it's my book!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Oct 05, 2005 6:03 am 
Quark wrote:
You think that's boring, wait'll you find out what else I bought. I dont have it in hand yet; but when I do, I'll blab about it. Everyone will be jealous. Anyone with some sense, that is...I mean I'm jealous of me, and it's my book!
The braille version of the Kama Sutra?

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Oct 15, 2005 10:33 pm 
Quark wrote:
, wait'll you find out what else I bought. I dont have it in hand yet; but when I do, I'll blab about it.
If I quote myself on the internet and don't tell my boyfreind about it, is it an illicit affair with myself? Anyway: I am the proud owner of a mint-condition first edition John Steinbecks The Red Pony! wub.gif It includes wonderful watercolor illustrations, and it is housed in it's original book box. banana.gif And to qualify this as a history post, I will add that the Duwamish Diary is a very interesting book, and I'll never look at the south end of Seattle the same way; now every time I cross the Duwamish in west Seattle, I'll remember its role, the people who lived in that valley (now Boeing Field and Georgetown), and of Mans' manipulation of nature to suit himself (in Seattle, the Denny Regrade, and the straightening of the Duwamish, the Montlake Cut, etc. etc.) From reading this book, I now know the stories of a few more namesakes in Seattle now; Corson Avenue, The Colman Dock and Colman Building to name a few.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 3:49 am 
Great Find
That's a great find, especially if it's written in an interesting way. So many history book's aren't. I'd be curious to know what the book has to say about the old Dumamish Indian winter village at the head of the river in Tukwila, and the once proposed tribal reservation there which all of the enterprising 'founding fathers' forever nixed. (something about fish weir's on the river being in the way of progress, blah, blah).

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 11:26 am 
Quark wrote:
Anyway: I am the proud owner of a mint-condition first edition John Steinbecks The Red Pony! wub.gif It includes wonderful watercolor illustrations, and it is housed in it's original book box. banana.gif
Now THAT is a score. That book hooked me on Steinbeck, which then, much later, found me reading Wallace Stegner. In Steinbeck's prose I could see, hear, and smell those golden California hills having experienced them growing up there. We read the "The Red Pony" in my high school freshman English class. After reading the book, the class broke up into groups to put together skits based on something in the book. Our group did a skit based on Jody's thrashing and killing of the buzzards after they plucked out Gabilan's eye. We embellished the scene at the end with someone from the Humane Society running up to Jody and reading him the riot act for killing buzzards. Well, I guess you had to be there.

Let me stand next to your fire
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 12:00 pm 
Snowbrushy, the indian people were depicted as kind and of helping the whites live amongst them, and the whites living in harmony amongst the indians for the most part. The indian battles were mentioned in a way that the River (telling the tale in first person) understood the indian's plight in losing the battle to progress, which could not be stopped, and the narration was sympathetic of them. When this book was written, white mans' progress was still an amazing and great thing. It's only recently that whites began to realize that damage done to the indians then. Were the book written today, it might be a little different. Even researched history is told through a mediated lense - depending upon society norms, local and personal sentiment, new discoveries. Stones: I can imagine you excelling in English. I understand the terrible beauty of tragedy as in the death of Gabilan and the re-writing of The Red Pony; my class re-wrote the ending of The Lord of the Flies[i]. It was dumb, so I won't go into it. I personally think one of the best descriptive novels of Californias' nature Steinbeck wrote was [i]The Wayward Bus. Of course, within seconds I just changed my mind and now choose Cannery Row. All Steinbecks novels are amazing. He treats human nature as matter-of-fact; no judgments - he gives his characters their flaws, and makes them colorful, beautiful and warm.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 12:33 pm 
Nerd alert.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 12:54 pm 
MCaver wrote:
Nerd alert.
This, from an Aggie who hails from Daingerfield, Texas? Now that's ironic!* *I just so happen to have a dictionary of literary terms. You can borrow it and look up ironic if you want to.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 1:08 pm 
Quark wrote:
This, from an Aggie who hails from Daingerfield, Texas?
That's hick, not nerd. Nerd.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 2:01 pm 
MCaver wrote:
[quote="Quark"]This, from an Aggie who hails from Daingerfield, Texas?[/quark] That's hick, not nerd. Nerd.
er, that would be [/quote] not [/quark] nerd.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 4:43 pm 
lol.gif I try every way I can to get rid of her! biggrin.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Oct 16, 2005 5:06 pm 
Tragic
The complete history of Seattle and King County has it's tragic side. I'd like to know all that I can find out. It IS important. The Dark Side of history in America is a story of screwing our Native American brother's and sister's, etc, etc .. breakdance.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 7:11 am 
Quark wrote:
MCaver wrote:
Nerd alert.
This, from an Aggie who hails from Daingerfield, Texas? Now that's ironic!* *I just so happen to have a dictionary of literary terms. You can borrow it and look up ironic if you want to.
theres an Aggie on this board? Us Longhorns don't mix well with aggies moon.gif Quark, very nice finds on the books..I havent gotten to read "Red Pony" yet. The Duwamish Diary sounds likea very interesting read.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley