Forum Index > Pacific NW History > "Prudential mountain, nobody's even heard of it"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 12:14 pm 
So we all read Jack Kerouac's famous quotation from Desolation Angels: "Hozomeen, Hozomeen, most beautiful mountain I ever seen, like a tiger sometimes with stripes, sunwashed rills and shadow crags wriggling lines in the Bright Daylight, vertical furrows and bumps and Boo! crevasses, boom, sheer magnificent Prudential mountain, nobody's even heard of it, and it's only 8,000 feet high, but what a horror when I first saw that void the first night of my staying on Desolation Peak waking up from deep fogs of 20 hours to a starlit night suddenly loomed by Hozomeen with his two sharp points, right in my window black - the Void, every time I'd think of the Void I'd see Hozomeen and understand - Over 70 days I had to stare at it" What in tarnation is Prudential Mountain? I've never seen Hozomeen referred to as Prudential aside from Kerouac's famous quote, nor is my North Cascades National Park map showing any Prudentials in the vicinity. Was Hozomeen ever known as Prudential? When? Or is Kerouac referring to something else? If so, what? Calling all Kerouackians and North Cascades historians...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 12:25 pm 
Prudential Insurance Company
had a logo for many years and used the motto "Safe as the Rock of Gibraltar. It was afamiliar icon of the 50's and 60's.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Oct 17, 2005 12:33 pm 
wow, an answer in 10 minutes no less! smile.gif thank you so much Malachai Constant!