Forum Index > Trail Talk > Easy Trails for the hiking newbie?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RedmondDave

RedmondDave
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 4:26 pm 
I am looking to drive somewhere this weekend with my wife to enjoy some nice scenery. Neither of us are seasoned hikers, so we are looking for something not too tough, maybe easy to drive to so that we can whet our appetite for something more difficult in the future. Anyone have any recommendations for us? We live in the Redmond area on the east side of Lake Washington. Thanks, David

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 9:51 pm 
Lake 22 might be a possibility. Here is a wta trip report.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark

Quark
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 10:11 pm 
David, regarding grand views, seems you'd need showshoes to get to the top of stuff. If you like to see rainforest and trickling creeks, there are a coupla options that I can think of quickly. These are wonderful trails in the rain, so if the weather is sloppy, go anyway. Sorry if my directions are too detailed; I don't mean to be condescending, but I'm assuming you are new to the area. Let us know what you end up doing! Head to the Talapus/Ollalie Lake trails. It's a wonderful forest walk with brilliant moss and fern and pretty streams. Some of the stream crossings (just a few steps, not raging death crossings) require rock-hopping or get your feet wet - not a big deal. Head east on I-90, take the Asahel Curtis exit (42 or 47, I can't remember which). Turn left and cross over the freeway, and left at the T to the trailhead. It's the Granite Mountain trailhead. Don't take the Granite Mtn trail which branches off the Talapus Trail - it's steep and you'll poop out & run into snow. There aren't huge views at Talapus, but it's a very pretty forest trail. Another fave is the Boulder River trail. I can't say enough about it! 2 beautiful water falls, humongous old growth Doug Fir and Cedar trees, absolutely beautiful forest. Parts of the trail are quite muddy toward the end (4 miles), and a couple of the footlogs are slimey and slick - don't use 'em, but higgle along the side of the logs (these logs are for crossing low parts of the topography, not water crossings, though there are some log water crossings (with handrails)). For Boulder River, take I-5 North beyond Arlington to SR 530, (signed the North Cascades Hwy via SR 530), the exit past the exit for Smokey Point. I think it's exit 130, but don't know for sure. You'll see it on the map. Anyway, travel on 530 to milepost 41. Turn right onto the dirt road (good condition) and drive to the end, where the trailhead is. Heather Lake. easy trail, huge stumps (logging at the turn of the century). There's snow around Heather Lake, which is surrounded by mountains, and very pretty. Snowshoes not needed so far this winter. Very pretty place. For this one, take I-5 North to the Stevens Pass highway exit in Everett. Take this road and veer left toward Lake Stevens. Turn left in Lake Stevens onto Hwy 9. Continue until you see a turn toward Granite Falls (check the map, dunno the road number). At the "T" intersection in Granite F, turn left onto Mountain Loop Hwy. Past the red bridge (or is it blue) over the Stillaguamish Rv, turn rt onto Mt. Pilchuck Road and drive a couple miles to the Heather Lake TH. You probably won't be alone on any of these trails.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 10:57 pm 
I'll second Boulder River. This is really the best time of year to do it (providing you don't mind the cold). If you're looking for something a little flatter, the Iron Horse trail is nice (aside from the droning from I-90), particularly from Ollalie SP to Rattlesnake Lake. I imagine that the Silver Creek / Mineral City trail is probably snow free this year (at least for a few miles). That's one of the coolest trails around. Waterfalls, canyons, mine shafts, etc.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 11:48 pm 
I would say to drive the North Fork of the Snoqualmie river to the Sunday Lake trailhead. Hike the *flat* trail to SUnday lake. No snow (more than likely) with this winter we're having. You can find it in the 100 hike in the Alpine Lakes book. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 1:36 am 
Middle Fork Snoqualmie river trail from the new trailhead and parking area, heading east on the trail.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RedmondDave

RedmondDave
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 1:42 am 
Boulder River sounds exciting
Thanks for all the great advice. The Boulder River one sounds like a lot of fun! I looked it up on vtrail.com , and it looks like it is 4-5 miles. Sounds a little daunting for the first time. What do you guys think? I was thinking maybe Sand Dune Trail #11 looked like it might be more our speed? http://www.vtrail.com/byalphabet/dtrails/decept_sand.html If we did try the Boulder River, would we need any special gear? I have been in the woods before, so I'm not helpless, but just wondered if it had any inclines that require anything special to cross? We also dont yet have any maps and books. We would probably want to start with a site that was easy to follow. Again, thanks for your help. I've been wasting a lot of my life in cement buildings, moved to the Pacific NW from Florida 2 years ago and still haven't experienced the beauty of this place. -David

mb

mb
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 2:54 am 
Nah, you shouldn't need anything for Boulder River. Another even shorter river trail is the Old Robe trail. Drive out the Mtn. Loop highway from Granite Falls to... uh, the trailhead. There's a wooden sign on the right, often lots of cars parked there, a road branching off the left, at the top of a hill. If you get to the Mountain View Cafe (new Robe), you've gone too far. It's cool because you get to go through the railroad tunnels et al. http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/parks/robe.htm

Bold R Reever

Bold R Reever
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 10:29 am 
You don't have to hike the entire 4 miles in to enjoy the Boulder R trail. There is a great waterfall less than half way. And you'll find that it's not that hard to hike the distance. You'll enjoy it tremendously. Bring an umbrella and have fun!

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 12:34 pm 
Bold R Reever has said it. You do not need to hike to the end of the trail ...... any trail. Hike to the waterfalls on Boulder River Trail (2 miles), and stop. The rest of the trail is less interesting and increasingly grubby. A better drive on a rainy day like today is the Mountain Loop Highway. That's the one you'ld take to get to Old Robe or Heather Lake, anyway. But there are better hikes than either of those. Drive on out the Loop a bit (along the gorgeous Stillaguamish River) to Big Four. Stop and take the 1 mile walk to the base of the cliffs (not too near) and see mountains, waterfalls, and even a mini-glacier. Drive still further, over Barlow Pass (I think it's still snowfree) to the Goat Lake trailhead. Follow the Goat Lake Trail about 2 miles along Elliot Creek. That's the finest stream walk in the Cascades, it's easy, and you reach the stream almost as soon as you leave the parking lot. That can be important when you're starting out. Try to pick hikes where you get some rewards right away (Big Four's good that way, too). Later in the year, when you've stretched your legs a little, go back to Goat Lake and do the whole trail. It's still easy, and one of the biggest bangs for your hiking buck around. In addition to the fine stream walk, there's a patch of oldgrowth forest, an incredible waterfall, and Goat Lake, itself, is the most "alpine" subalpine lake in the state. For something different, take the ferry over to Whidbey Island and walk the beaches at Ebey Landing or Deception Pass (parking lots right at the beach, in both cases). Then stop and have mussels for dinner in Coupeville on your way home. Note: all of the hikes I've mentioned can be done in tennis shoes, without fording creeks or clambering over piles of rock. Start easy and enjoy yourselves. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 12:44 pm 
I agree with Scrooge on Big Four. As he said there are quick rewards. B4 was my first hike several years back and I was instantly hooked. All the suggestions are good. Pick one and enjoy. biggrin.gif Where in Fla., Dave? I lived there for 12 years before moving here. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu