Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is Tylenol PM really that good?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 4:59 pm 
I knew a couple of people who took Tylenol PM after long hikes to help with some pain the next day--and to help them sleep. Is that the best thing out there for continual hiking day after day or is there some other drug better out there (besides meth)?

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 5:25 pm 
Tylenol PM will help you sleep, yawn.gif but will do nothing about the muscle and joint soreness associated with the physical effort except relieve the pain. Ibuprofen will reduce both the swelling and the pain. I wouldn't start popping these indiscriminitely, as there have been studies showing liver damage, especially if you drink alcohol while taking these pain relievers. Also, sleep induced by drugs or alcohol isn't as deep as unassisted sleep, and can leave you with that drugged feeling frown.gif in the morning. Any doctors or pharmacists out there have more info?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 6:56 pm 
Here's my $.02. Take Tylenol PM for sleep assistance and muscle pain. Couple it with Ibu if you have inflammation. I have spoken with a number of medical professionals about mixing them, and they all said that you would have to do it A LOT to have it be a problem for your liver. Like daily, for years, kind of a lot. If alcohol disrupts your sleep, don't drink it. I've never found that a shot or two of Basil Hayden had any ill effects, even if mixed with the above pills. hmmm.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 9:34 pm 
A few ot several beers always for me....

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 6:34 pm 
I use a product called "Tylenol Simply Sleep" when I am backpacking. I believe that it is the same thing as Tylenol PM but without the pain killer. It seems to help me sleep better, I have to get up less often and seem to get back to sleep more quickly and this is from a person that is very reluctant to take any kind of medication. I notice no affects from it in the morning. Like it was stated before ibuprofen seems to work well for me for sore muscles and other aches and pains.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 11:23 am 
Naproxen Sodium Your Troubles Away!
I usually go to sleep straight away after a long day of backpacking. My problem is the sore tight feeling in my legs the next morning. I have found that (for me) two Naproxen Sodium eliminate the soreness and that I’m good to go all day.

Bungee Boy

Bungee Boy
PostSun Feb 16, 2003 2:13 pm 
After a good endurance day/s my sore muscles tell me that they need the right food to heal and to do it all over again, not necessarily pain killers to solely mask the symptoms. I do a combo of protein-carbo recovery drinks (like Endurox R4 or Metabol II), Calcium,Magnesium, and Vit C Supplements, and occasionally Advil. This combo has worked for me the past coulpe of years on multi day climbing/scrambling trips and weekend warrior stuff. This combo also works because if gives your stressed muscles and body the elements it needs for proper recovery; protein, carbos, minerals, and ibuprofen to arrest the inflammitory process. Sleep tight.

Ever Upwards