Forum Index > Trail Talk > BC Recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 10:53 am 
My mother is coming for a visit in a few months and I'm planning to take her into BC for a day or two. I haven't spent much time in BC so I'm open to recommendations for destinations. We're looking at maybe doing a little hiking, but nothing major. Mainly scenic drives and roadside places, a day's drive or less from Seattle (one way). Any good National or Provincial Parks? Specific roads or highways? Mountain ranges that shouldn't be missed?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 1:08 pm 
Obviously, you gotta do the Sea to Sky (99), hitting all the usual stops - Shannon Falls, Tantalus viewpoint, maybe Green Lake at Whistler. Go all the way to Joffre Lakes Provincial Park (about 15 north of Pemberton), then walk out to Lower Joffre Lake (it's paved). Or if you've got time, you may want to go all the way to Duffy Lake. There's a small picnic area near the outlet, but it's a loooong drive back to Seattle from there. Another alternative would be to drive up the Squamish Valley, then up the Elaho Valley to the Peach Creek Falls picnic site. The drive up is stunning, albiet dusty, plenty of stuff to see. Also may want to consider popping up to Harrison Hot Springs. Charming little town, views out over Harrison Lake are incredible. http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/pics/peach_creek_bc.jpg - Peach Creek Falls Joffre Lake (see attatchment)
joffre lake
joffre lake

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 3:42 pm 
I've only done the Vancouver/ Victoria touristy thing a few times, so if you find yourself there here's what I'd recommend: Grouse Mtn., in the north Vancouver area. A tram takes you literally up from a suburban neighborhood to the ski area on top. Fantastic views of the Greater Vancouver area. In the warmer months it's a good start for some hiking into the backcountry. Tram cost might be a tad pricey but with the exchange rate I'd say it's worth it. They have night skiing up there too. Stanley Park is cool and has lots of trails, and Vancouver has a world-class promenade for miles along the waterfront with stunning views. If the weather sucks the U. of B.C. museum has a fantastic collection of NW Indian (First Nations) art. I've heard the drive from Victoria west around the southern tip of Vancouver Is. as far as you can drive is beautiful. Be sure to always make comments about the funny-looking currency, no Sunday newspaper, them pronouncing "about" as "aboot", "Mazda" as "Maazda", how great those Easterners are, and their traffic signals with blinking green lights. They love to hear that stuff, really! (Moose: "Careful Rocky, we're Canadian")

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 4:56 pm 
So much depends on what time of year you visit & the weather & how far you want to drive & much physical activity you want to endure Personally I would skip Grouse Mountain - its overpriced, way too touristy and you can get the same view for free driving up to either Cypress or Seymour. I do recommend taking the Gondola up Whistler - well worth the money and you get to enjoy scenery that would cost you a pound of sweat otherwise. As far as drive up stuff goes - most of the good stuff you can see from the road. Shannon Falls looks less impressive up close however Brandywine Falls is worth a peak. Alexander Falls means a long drive on a dirt road to a lookout that is still a fair distance away. Nairn Falls is not worth the effort. As far as moderate hikes go The Cheif and High Falls Creek are your best bets outside of Whistler. I second the Joffre Lakes vote although it is quite a drive and it seems a sin to drive all that way and not hike the 3.5 miles to the glacier. I should note that those are not easy miles - despite the modest stats (which I have listed on my site) none of the trails in BC are maintained outside of the one to Garibaldi Lake. Anyway I have an extensive summary on my website and 500 pictures to go with it. I know I posted this here last summer but I have done a lot of work on it since then. Happy Hiking! http://groups.msn.com/davidkarenshikingpage

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 6:43 pm 
I second the Sea to Sky drive. You might also want to check out the Fraser Canyon and take your parents for a Gondola ride down to Hell's Gate.

Honey Badger Don't Care!