Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trailhead thefts
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 12:29 pm 
Trail thefts
At the Duckabush River trailhead I saw a sign on the information board 'This trailhead is under photo serveillance' I looked around but didn't see any cameras or electric wires to power them. If my memory is correct I have seen that same sign at other trailheads. In all my years of hiking all over this state as well as 3 others I have never been broken into. Maybe I shouldn't have said that paranoid.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 12:44 pm 
There are signs like those posted at the trailheads in the Foss River and Miller Creek areas. Have spent quite abit of time there and never had a problem. It might just be a coincidence, but the higher percentage of breakins I'm familiar with(ie...Pilchuck, Lake 22, Dickerman) have no signs. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 12:47 pm 
Oregon Trailheads
The trailhead at Bagby Hot Springs, and some in the Columbia Gorge are common places for car clouting down here. I once caught some scumballs breaking into a van (not mine) at Bagby. They weren't hikers. They were a couple a guys in their 20's driving a beat-up old truck. They scrambled off when I came down the trail. I got their plate number and gave it to the sheriff and don't know if anything ever happened. I left a note for the van owners. It was trashed and from the ammo boxes, etc., I'd guess that they had a load of guns in there. "Had" is the operative word most likely. Just never leave ANYthing of value at a trailhead, period.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 11:05 am 
I agree that you shouldnt leave anything in your vehicles. My trouble is that what Im worried about IS MY VEHICLE! Damn it, i shouldnt have to worry about loosing my rig! I build up a rig to hadle anything that can get thrown at it and then I have to worry about same ass**** stealing it! Turbo (diesel) bummer! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 11:25 am 
Joe, your next step has to be a hi-tech security system along with bullet proof windows. Either that or the Mercedes you had for your avitar. NN winksmile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 12:27 pm 
Icicle Creek used to be real bad. Is it still that way? I did a trip last summer to Chain-Doelle Lakes and thought about my Jeep quite alot, But upon my return the only thing that invaded my rig was a mouse that built a nest under my dash. My mouse sayed with me and my jeep for about a week then abandoned me for greener pastures. It's a good thing my wife never knew. bawl.gif eek.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 1:15 pm 
Da police cought a guy that was targeting the Icicle creek area a few years ago. The jackass ran from them, jumped into the Icicle, and promply drown! So, he's not around anymore to steal from the Icicle area! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 2:12 pm 
Dead guy at Icicle Creek
I was going to mention that I heard of a guy killing himself escaping from the law. A ranger I met told me about it, but I didn"t remember were I was at that time. I guess it was Icicle Creek!!!