Forum Index > Trail Talk > Big Horn sheep! - Rams in Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 2:18 pm 
Hey everybody, I was on my way up hwy 97 and then over hwy 20 to Republic this past weekend. Just outside of Wenatchee on the west side of the road I saw two big horn (RAM) sheep up on the rocks eating! One was a full horned the other had half raps! It was way cool! I didnt know that they were that far south into Washginton. Ive seen them on the other side of the border in B.C.'s Okanogan, but never south into Washginton. biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 2:38 pm 
Did you shoot them? smile.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 3:05 pm 
Guy posts a note about sheep and what gets asked is if he shot it. Way to stay away from gun threads.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chute R.

Chute R.
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 6:09 pm 
MtnGoat must be sensitive about shooting mountain goats.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 6:14 pm 
Perhaps he meant with a camera. I would have shot them with my tele.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 6:18 pm 
The sheep were put there by the WDFW in conjunction with the Inland Wildlife Sportsmen's group several years ago, only a few permits for hunting are given out in the process according to the health/strength of the population in those areas and throughout the state where applicable.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 7:06 pm 
No sir, didnt shoot them. Dont shoot what I dont/am not going to eat. They were beautiful for sure.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
salish

salish
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 8:22 pm 
I saw a full curl ram yesterday at elevation above the Yakima river while chukar hunting. This was about 4 miles past Red's campground in the Canyon, and I was on top of the mountain. Beesley Canyon, area, I think. They are truly cool to see. Consider yourself lucky. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 8:54 pm 
There are very large herds of bighorn sheep in the L.T. Murray Wildlife area in and around the Yakima River Canyon. Last December I watched a herd of 18-21 animals across the river. I've seen 4-7 of them each winter hike up the Umtanum Creek Canyon as well. In early spring they are on Cleman Mountain. A true treasure to watch for certain!

salish

salish
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 9:12 pm 
Thanks Alan, for the tip. I new there were bighorn over in the L.T. Murray, but I didn't know they were on the east side of the river. In addition to all the mule deer tracks I regularly see up on those ridges, there was one huge track that must have belonged to an elk, although this track was a large as some moose tracks I've seen. It was solitary, too. There is a another person on this board who was telling me about Mt. Clemons, and I really want to get up in there next fall. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 10:53 pm 
Years ago, I drove my 1962 4x4 to the top of Clemans Mtn. in the snow elk hunting, the truck was chained up all the way around and still slipped and slid about, it was quite hairy! I believe it was in 1978. (just a tidbit about it I thought I add)

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 8:10 am 
There were a plethora of sheep,including 3 big rams on the S. side of Clemans yesterday afternoon-There's a feed station not far from the Hwy 12/Hwy 410 junction but the south facing slope is bare-they're usually spread all across those slopes during the year and I've been seeing more of them in the Oak Creek area, too. Driving on Clemans hasn't changed much-one of the better roads-the Big Burn road got washed out-although word on the street is that it may be reopened and the Hardy Canyon road closed--anything would be an improvement over it. Those roads are closed now for elk feeding-it can be an interesting place to go right now for a hike.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 10:58 am 
McPilchuck - I was a big time 4x4'er back in the early 70's. Used to run a 1948 Willys Jeep and a 1951 Willy's pickup all over the mountains, but I never went up the LT Murray or thereabouts. That makes me think of another Don McCune/Exploration NW show - the Jeepers Jamboree, that was held in the Cle Elum area. I had been raised with 4x4's, but that show really got me going. Dslayer - funny that we were fairly close to each other a day apart. Seems like we've been missing each other all year. I only made it to Oak Creek once this year, but I love that area, too. Maybe in 2002 we can hookup and have a cup of coffee at that diner in Naches. Cliff

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 11:45 am 
I'll have to pay more attention when I'm bouncing around the Yakima Cyn rim. I haven't chanced to see any sheep yet. I plan to explore the Umtanum this spring and now that I know there are in fact sheep there, I'll pay closer attention. Kind of on the thread, I've seen what looked like some kind of antelope (or real skinny deer) on Saddle Mtn SE of Vantage, and a 12 head herd of goats on Cabin Mtn S of Easton last fall.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 1:52 pm 
Salish, I am still a 4x4 guy. Been all over eastern washington wheelin. Including the liberty and teanaway area too. You dont wheel anymore?