Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 35 Years Ago This Week
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Aug 25, 2005 1:39 am 
There was a huge fire in The Wenatchee National Forest 35 years ago. http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5498

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Aug 25, 2005 4:01 pm 
My Dad worked that fire for the Forest Service- he didn't like it, much. Sounds pretty awesome and frightening.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 25, 2005 4:14 pm 
Wow, I can't wait to get over there this fall, after it cools down, and investigate the areas to see the re-growth. I love history links for forest related stuff. It's interesting to see re-growth, even if you don't recognize it as such. Sometimes you're in a forest, walking, then all the sudden it looks a little different. You can't put your finger on it, but it's different. Usually it's that all the trees are suddenly the same size. If you can't see it from the trail, go off trail and poke around and look closely, you can see evidence of fire; charred remains of a group of stumps. I had that feeling on Fourth Creek once. I mentioned to my freind Greg that the forest had a different feel all the sudden. He knew what I meant, and knew what it was; so he and I went off trail a ways and found old, old remains of charred stumps; dozens and dozens of them. They were almost completely buried in newer forest detritus. I enjoyed the fire remains of a fire on the Chewuch trail (pre 30 Mile), Sherman Pass, Hat Point, Hatchery Creek, Prince Creek (I get all those Chelan fire names confused - it's the one that skirts Navarre and Horsethief Basin). We saw fire evidence on the Pyramid Lake trail last weekend. There was a big fire on Cougar Mtn, too. The charred stumps are humongous! (the trail that leads to Fantastic Erratic rock).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Aug 25, 2005 4:29 pm 
Quark wrote:
Wow, I can't wait to get over there this fall, after it cools down, and investigate the areas to see the re-growth. I love history links for forest related stuff.
Hey, the fire was 35 years ago- I'm sure it's cooled down by now! clown.gif

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 25, 2005 4:44 pm 
polecatjoe wrote:
Quark wrote:
Wow, I can't wait to get over there this fall, after it cools down, and investigate the areas to see the re-growth. I love history links for forest related stuff.
Hey, the fire was 35 years ago- I'm sure it's cooled down by now! clown.gif
Yah, but I just want to be reeeeaaaaaal sure before I go traipsing around there. It doesn't hurt to be sure.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Aug 25, 2005 7:53 pm 
Just as the 100 Hikes book describes, remnants of the fire that hit the Wildhorse Valley can be found. No snags left now, just lines on the ground consisting of nuggets of rotten wood. Amazing, when you consider that the fire was in the early part of the last century. On the other hand, the Hatchery Creek trail will lead you to a beautiful silver forest where the wildflowers are flourishing - a legacy of the fire 10 years ago.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 6:28 am 
Quote:
One farmer remarked, "Everything was just dead. No trees. No birds. No fish ... Nothing. I didn't want to come back"
Poor bastard must have woken up and thought he was in Moses Lake.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Aug 26, 2005 10:08 pm 
I was there if had a friend who worked for the state and would call any of his buds if there was a project fire, din the Eniait. All I remember was a lot of dust bugs ans smoke, you got paid for 24 hr, days and it was not that bad. I went there 15 years after and it was recognizable but very different. That was then this is now biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Dec 25, 2005 9:40 pm 
I remember that fire, can't believe it was 35 yrs. ago, so much water since then!