Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallace Falls 3/1 - "Big deal," you say.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 9:14 pm 
Take THAT, transportation difficulties! Man. The last time I did this hike was almost exactly one year ago, and there was more snow and ice than you could shake a carbide-tipped titanium and carbon fiber stick at. This year, nothing. Not a flake. The falls have been thicker, too. Beautiful weather for a frenzied charge up the hillside, though. The park was only moderately busy for whatever reason. I probably saw something to the tune of fifty people during the three hours I was there, in addition to the requisite leashless dogs frolicking to and fro across the trail. I arrived at the trailhead parking lot at 10:40 AM, after walking up from the highway, after spending about four and a half hours travelling by bus from Bellevue to Kirkland to Seattle to Everett to Gold Bar. You heard me, by bus. No, I'm not crazy. Why, what have you heard? Think of this as a proof of concept. A person can, with only their two feet and two dollars, make it from most anywhere in the greater Seattle area to at least one trail. Equipped with a pair of wheels, more options open up. Oh, the things I'll do to see trees in their native habitat. The trip from the highway to the highway via the upper falls is roughly ten miles with about 1400 feet elevation difference, three and a half of those miles are on sidewalks and roads. It took me four hours including lunch. Sidebar: When did so many extremely hot women start hiking? Memo to self: Find a girlfriend. Per usual, I made it back to the bus stop just in time to see the bus leave. That left me with an hour to buy twinkies and root beer, and visit the scaly abode of the Reptile Man, the Washington Serpentarium. That was easily the largest concentration of reptiles I've ever seen in Gold Bar. Another few short hours by bus later, and I was home. A thirteen hour day all told. If you're thinking it's absurd that anybody would try this sort of thing, get this: There will be a next time. Oh yes.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 10:50 pm 
Let me know when they get the Bellevue - Gold Bar express route set up. hmmm.gif Actually $2 for the transportation seems like a pretty good deal. Just plan the day so you have something to read along the way like for instance.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 8:56 am 
Hey P-Bear, how about some pics! biggrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln