Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Where was 1880's Skagit Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 01, 2006 10:48 pm 
Newt wrote:
Twisp Pass. But no trails. frown.gif
Huh? There is a trail going up there from either side. Am I missing something? confused.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 5:31 am 
Not sure if you're missing anything or not. Image was posted for location of Twisp Pass. I had no idea that you or anyone else knew where it was located. But checking into it now, I see that it's a fairly well known hike/pass. I should have known. That's why I try to keep my mouth shut. Yup.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
JimK

JimK
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 8:15 am 
The map is quite interesting. West and slightly north of Twisp Pass is "Parker Creek Pass". It is where Park Creek Pass should be. A typo? Did the name change? The map does predate any dams on the Skagit.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 12:18 pm 
That looks like a vintage 30's Forest Service map.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 12:42 pm 
Ward's Pass is still Ward's Pass, on the PCT. Twisp Pass is ugly.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 7:21 pm 

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 02, 2006 8:42 pm 
Here's a pdf of a brochure of Highway 20 that uses "Skagit" and "Cascade" Pass to refer to Cascade Pass. The thing I refer to is on page 4. Not exactly 1880's Skagit Pass as in the original posters' question, but it goes to show, Skagit was (and is) a very broad* term. What's also interesting is that as recently as when this brochure was published, Twisp was spelled Twitsp. I knew that was the original spelling 'cause Lookout Bob told me that years ago & I looked it up somewhar, but didn't know it was so recently changed. *I think more things are named after broads than are named after men.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 03, 2006 2:55 pm 
So, using the referenced material, links and these images, I surmize that Cascade Pass was also Skagit Pass which was also Wards Pass. Cascade Pass has been refered to as Skagit in a few of the history links as well as Skagit Pass possibly being Wards Pass. Looking at my images and modern day maps, the Cascade Wagon Trail is accessable driving present day roads and hiking present day trails. Since this looks like the early planning of a road, me thinks it would also be the earlier route to cross the pass in the north. It would make sense to use an existing route, with modifications, to punch a road. But hey, what do I know? Correct me if I'm wrong here. Some of the images are pretty much the same but different years. Most full size as I have them. Get your maps out, connect the dots, and see what you come up with. What we really need is a map with trail/road and Skagit pass on it.

RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Feb 03, 2006 6:28 pm 
The link here has this reference: "Paradise of the Cinnamon Bears, number 13 in the series of Northwest stories by Frank Wilkeson, published in the New York Times, July 10, 1892, about hunting across Skagit Pass near Lake Chelan. See Issue 21, Subscribers Journal." Makes it sound like what is known as Cascade Pass.

don't believe everything you think
hikermike

hikermike
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 11:29 pm 
Quark wrote:
I've been there, and Twisp Pass is NOT ugly, it is very beautiful and is an excellent hike. Have also been to Ward's Pass on the PCT above the Wenatchee area and that IS ugly, as it is a forested pass with no views.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 11:39 pm 
Twisp Pass accessed via Twisp is a most excellent and worthy destination. Verry nice place. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 pm 
hikermike wrote:
Quark wrote:
I've been there, and Twisp Pass is NOT ugly, it is very beautiful and is an excellent hike.
take a pill, dude. don't you know a jab when you see one? You need a beer. At least.

Lookout Sue
Daydream Believer

Lookout Sue
Daydream Believer
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 2:13 pm 
Quote:
hikermike wrote: Quark wrote: Ward's Pass is still Ward's Pass, on the PCT. Twisp Pass is ugly. I've been there, and Twisp Pass is NOT ugly, it is very beautiful and is an excellent hike. take a pill, dude. don't you know a jab when you see one?
The 'jab' was not apparent to me either. Why jab on the History forum anyway. Twisp pass is lovely, and the original native american word was Twapsp ------------------

---------------------
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 pm 
SHAM
I suppose that Quark is burned out from volunteering around million dollar bungalows and cottages on Sam .. Shame on WTA! It's ethically bad to waste GOOD volunteer HEART on such a sham! Of course it depends on who you want to waste your talents on. The trail that you built will be mentioned with JOHN L SCOTT when those properties go for sale. You might as well work the grounds at Microsoft for free! The volunteer SPIRIT can't be wasted on rich people! They could at least give you maids wages. Or something instead of hard-candy at the end of a days hard work - for rich people .

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 8:26 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
I suppose that Quark is burned out from volunteering around million dollar bungalows and cottages on Sam .. Shame on WTA! It's ethically bad to waste GOOD volunteer HEART on such a sham! Of course it depends on who you want to waste your talents on. The trail that you built will be mentioned with JOHN L SCOTT when those properties go for sale. You might as well work the grounds at Microsoft for free! The volunteer SPIRIT can't be wasted on rich people! They could at least give you maids wages. Or something instead of hard-candy at the end of a days hard work - for rich people .
Hey, why pick on me? Go find someone else to badger. You're making an ass out of yourself.