Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 11:29 am 
ditto on 'Crash'! 'Mystic River' was a good movie IMO but, of course the book was sooooo much better. 'Pirates of the Caribbean' was good too just because Johnny depp is soooo good. I still think 'Lord of the Rings' was one of the best films I have seen in a long time. Loved it!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 2:07 pm 
mike wrote:
Million Dollar Baby is a mediocre movie IMHO. another Oscar winner which won't stand the test of time (like Braveheart) Don't see why it got all the Oscars and nominations. Hillary Swank didn't deserve best actor, any of the other candidates were better. Imelda Staunton was robbed.
My sentiments exactly. MDB was terribly overrated...first half was engaging and then you spent the next hour just waiting for her to die. Ugh. Recently saw and enjoyed The Island. Good action / sci-fi flick. Anyone who enjoyed Lost In Translation and that also likes sci-fi should also check out Code 46. Takes it's time in character / plot development but you're left with a masterful telling of a great story, interesting premise, and absolutely wondrous soundtrack. up.gif up.gif Highly recommend Lost as well for people looking for a TV series with quality surpassing most movies produced these days. Just rewatched Season 1 via the box set and it's well worth every minute of attention you lend it.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Seracer

Seracer
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 2:40 pm 
A second vote for Lost. I have not been hooked by a TV show like this in years. Saw a great movie on IFC the other day. The Straight Story. Great, moving film about an old crippled guy who travels on a riding lawnmower through Iowa to see his estranged brother.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Sep 23, 2005 8:55 pm 
you'd never guess that was a David Lynch film, so different from his usual work.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Sep 25, 2005 8:29 pm 
Yeah The Straight Story is a nice little picture. Lynch played it straight too, whatta know. True story as well (how could they make that story up? lol.gif ) Richard Farnsworth was a special actor, I liked him a lot and he goes waaay back. Check out the The Grey Fox and later his work in The Natural. Very effortless and convincing acting. up.gif

Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostMon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 am 
Saw Corpse Bride on Friday...I loved it, but I'm a big Tim Burton fan and The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite movie so I was definitely the target audience.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Feb 04, 2006 6:17 pm 
The Constant Gardener, an excellent film with a dumb name. Thriller dealo set in Africa and London, Ralph Fiennes. Also Ghost World, quirky thing with Steve Buscemi and Scarlett Johannsen.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
mike

mike
PostSun Feb 05, 2006 1:54 pm 
ditto.gif Not great but worth a watch. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars Saw Munich last night. Disturbing but very well done and acted. A great film IMHO. Spielberg definitely deserves the Oscar nomination.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 10:03 am 
rent - Crash. Go with an open mind.

Art is an adventure.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 11:44 am 
I didn't like Crash, but I seem to be in the minority. Everyone I know that has seen it has loved it, and the critics are raving. I thought it was way too contrived and was overall just a mediocre movie. Want to see a good movie you need to watch with an open mind? Watch The Woodsman.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 12:21 pm 
I didn't like Crash either. I didn't think it was as profound as people were saying. Also, not enough time developing the characters...in the end I couldn't have cared less about what was happening to them.

Larry

Larry
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 12:45 pm 
I saw a little strange movie the other night, just sort of happened on to it. Called "Briar Patch". A dark, disturbing movie with great acting, especially by Dominique Swain. It kept my interest, wish I would have seen the very beginning.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 12:57 pm 
MCaver wrote:
I didn't like Crash, but I seem to be in the minority. Everyone I know that has seen it has loved it, and the critics are raving. I thought it was way too contrived and was overall just a mediocre movie.
I think I'm with you. Contrived. I thought it was pretty well-acted and was shot beautifully... ...but in the end it was a film about racial stereotyping that was illustrated stereotypically with a politically-correctly-assembled cast of races. Maybe that's what it needed. Just didn't get me going.

gloriam

gloriam
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 1:39 pm 
jackchinook wrote:
MCaver wrote:
I didn't like Crash, but I seem to be in the minority. Everyone I know that has seen it has loved it, and the critics are raving. I thought it was way too contrived and was overall just a mediocre movie.
I think I'm with you. Contrived.
Contrived in the way that fables or mythology are contrived, to tell a deeper truth than a "realistic" story would. The film "Crash" was beautiful and very powerful because of that. I guess your experience at the movies depends on your expectations.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Feb 06, 2006 2:30 pm 
gloriam wrote:
The film "Crash" was beautiful and very powerful because of that. I guess your experience at the movies depends on your expectations.
I'd never heard of it before I rented it, so I had no expectations. I just didn't think it was very good. It wasn't bad, I just don't think it deserves all the acclaim. I saw much better movies last year.