Forum Index > Trip Reports > Artist Point Snowshoe Tripping
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 11:20 am 
Elvis was kind enough to invite me on a snowshoe daytrip up to Artist Point yesterday (thank you, nice to meet you). He was slightly overwhelmed and outnumbered when my crowd of international shoers showed up. I had my Australian friend on his annual visit, a German friend, who was over visiting for the weekend, and my Cajun best bud (yeah I know he's American but he ain't anything like the rest of ya!) from Mt. Vernon join us. To add to the mix of this, I had more friends who were overnighting it up top Sat night and were expecting us. I had come down with strep throat and really bad ear infection(ruptured ear drum) and was really worried about how I would feel with a rapid altitude rise. The weather was really variable. It started off overcast and dusting us with a little snow. Up top we met up with the camping party, had lunch and watched some crazy skiers jumping a serac on the side of Table Mountain. After Elvis and his friend departed, the sun came out to play...sorry Elvis! We managed to catch some rays and take in some spectacular scenery. We headed south along the corniced ridgeline to Hontoon Point and then back down to the TH. The apres meal was at Graham's in Glacier. Here's a few trip pics
Feb2006 022
Feb2006 022
Feb2006 024
Feb2006 024
Feb2006 025
Feb2006 025
Feb2006 027
Feb2006 027
Feb2006 029
Feb2006 029
Feb2006 031
Feb2006 031
Feb2006 034
Feb2006 034
Feb2006 035
Feb2006 035
Feb2006 040
Feb2006 040
Feb2006 041
Feb2006 041
Feb2006 044
Feb2006 044
Feb2006 046
Feb2006 046
Feb2006 048
Feb2006 048

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 12:00 pm 
Nice place to spend a winter day. I do believe I see to Hillebergs in one photo and both red to boot. Neat to compare the colors of photo 35 vs. 41. Glad you had clear views of Baker and Shuksan. I saw neither when I was up there on snowshoes.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 12:45 pm 
Jim K is an afficianado of Hilleberg tents. biggrin.gif So, is that Nallo 2 or a Nallo3 and an Ackto in photo 35? Supr K and I took our new Nallo 3 out for a field test this weekend at Corral Pass. I'll be posting our trip report soon. Anyway, it looks like ya'll had a great time and those are awesome photos.

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 1:06 pm 
sounds like good times. Nice pics! up.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 2:57 pm 
There is a group of about eight of us who own Hilleberg Akto's. The other Hillie is a Nallo 2.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 3:25 pm 
Cheers HB! Thank you for letting us join your group! We not only appreciated the entertaining company, we also appreciated your trail information and mountaineering knowledge. It's too bad we missed seeing Baker in the sun! Right about the time we returned to the parking lot is when the sun came out in full force, allowing us to capture some nice shots of Shuksan. Next time I venture up there I'll have to check out Hontoon Point (I missed the sun on Baker AND Hontoon! mad.gif ) We weren't sure what your plan was for the rest of the afternoon with your camping buddies and we didn't want you to feel rushed or pressured, so after we had lunched, Photo-opp'ed and rested we were ready to descend. >>Edit to add pics from flickr instead of webshts.
Table Mtn
Table Mtn
Artist point posse
Artist point posse
From Artist Pt
From Artist Pt
Snow Camp
Snow Camp
Artist Point
Artist Point
More Shuksan
More Shuksan
Shuksan
Shuksan
End Edit<< I had a great time and really enjoyed the route - but there was one steep section that I'm not sure I would have attempted without you and your crew (and all your gear & experience). Your explanation as to why we took the route we did was very educational - thanks! Good to hear you all made the return trip safely. Finally, I need to publicly apologize to JenJen - whom I was really hoping to meet at the trailhead as well... but our paths didn't cross (or at least if they did, neither of us realized it). embarassedlaugh.gif bawl.gif I owe you a NWHiker Social drink.gif & a snowshoe trip. (For future reference... that's my back in HB's pic #034 (second from the left with the grey 'pits')). ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 4:23 pm 
beautiful photos HB and Elvis !!! I am sorry Stephen and I missed you guys on Sunday - we returned home on Saturday night. I'm glad to see that you had good weather on Sunday afternoon. What a beautiful area, Artist Point. One can walk about there for hours and see beautiful mountainscapes. So close to Vancouver, too. We took many photos - I posted a few of them in my flickr stream cheers - CWall

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 6:07 pm 
From the looks of those photos, I was behind you guys, watching you flounder up that last steep stretch. Then, of course, I got to flounder my own way up. Elvis, we'll have to try and hook up again! If any of you remember walking past a lady sitting on a Z-rest overlooking the Bagley Lakes basin cooking lunch - that was me.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 7:00 pm 
Next time don't be so darned shy and come over say hi! smile.gif Did you happen to see that group of crazy karate guys wacking the snow with wooden sticks on top of Assburn hill?

Honey Badger Don't Care!
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 7:18 pm 
Nope, I didn't see any karate moves. I did see a bunch of nuts doing sommersaults down it. Was that the same group?

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 7:27 pm 
wow jenjen, did you take pictures? somersaults on assburn hill? now THAT's something I would love to see!!

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 7:45 pm 
Honestly, I just watched them slack-jawed. I didn't even think to get out the camera.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostMon Feb 13, 2006 8:03 pm 
were there people walking through your camp?
We there people walking through your camp? That's a pretty well-traveled area. Did you get enough privacy for camping up there in evenings and mornings?

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
bobcat

bobcat
PostTue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 am 
Ohh my first post! Serena and I are the two people facing the camera in picture number three that Hiker Boy took. There was a reasonable amount of traffic up and down until about 4:00 when it quieted down nicely. Most of the people heading up paused for a chat. In addition to a bunch of people from Everett Mountaineers there were a group of 'youngsters' who delighted in ascending Hontoon Point by headlamp and then crazy carpeting down. Quite a hoot to watch the play of lights! Sunday morning saw hordes of people heading up but they all passed well away from us. Could be they all wanted to take a peek at our 'outhouse' with a view of Baker smile.gif Saturday saw quite a few skiers & boarders heading up table mountain. By Sunday morning a crevasse had opened up enough to become a serac making it more challenging. A place of great beauty. It was a pleasure to meet new people and catch up with old friends. Cheers.

satyrium1975

satyrium1975
PostWed Feb 15, 2006 2:44 pm 
Artist Point Hike
What great pics! I had no idea the road to Mt. Baker was open far enough to get to where you guys went. How were the conditions and do you remember exactly how far you could actually go on that route? I'd love to take my fiance up there for a short hike as he's never been but would hate to get us both stuck in the snow on the way. Thanks! K