Forum Index > Trail Talk > Silver lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:20 pm 
TAKE ME, TAKE ME, TAKE ME! I'll pay for gas! I'll pay for dinner! I'll pay for the speeding ticket! I'll pay for the call girl at the end of the ordeal! Da, well, I'll make it worth your while! biggrin.gif winksmile.gif agree.gif dizzy.gif up.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 11:01 pm 
Bungee - I'm interested in getting up Spickard when I go. Got a report or any beta you can share? PM me if you want. Thanks...

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 2:05 pm 
These are a few photos of Silver lake from that trip in 1984. We were able to drive to 5-6000 feet then, Started in the alpine meadows but I wonder how far you could get today, seeing they took most of the trees then
Top of Rahm from Silver lake
Top of Rahm from Silver lake
Silver Lake and Mt Spickard from the top of Rahm
Silver Lake and Mt Spickard from the top of Rahm
Redoubt from Rahm
Redoubt from Rahm
Rahm from the road end
Rahm from the road end

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 2:08 pm 
Look like a horrible place. I'm crossing it off the top of my list now. winksmile.gif

Larry

Larry
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 2:24 pm 
Tom wrote:
Look like a horrible place. I'm crossing it off the top of my list now. winksmile.gif
Oh yes, Tom. Though it has been...let's see...30 years...I remember how horrible it was. Don't go there. There's a lot of goblins and scary things out and about. paranoid.gif I know that I'm sure game to go with a small group, preferably not up Silver Creek though. Sounds like the Maselpanik/Rahm route would be nice. (Thank goodness there's no uphill on this hike...). I would probably not climb, but would instead take my medium format camera and try to get my usual one or two good photos gleaned from 20 or 30 rolls of film.

PostThu Mar 06, 2003 2:30 pm 
stampede alert!

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 2:40 pm 
Looks like Pappy has a secret he wants kept a secret. He likes yatzee. A lot.

PostThu Mar 06, 2003 2:54 pm 
looks like someone was singing like a canary. wink.gif up.gif you have a very good memory! I hate that flippin' game. OUTSTANDING pictures!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Mar 06, 2003 3:45 pm 
Oh brother, I dont EVER want to go there!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! If anyone goes without me they're on my hit list! WOW, gorgeous! TB winksmile.gif biggrin.gif huh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 1:10 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
If anyone goes without me they're on my hit list!
Ditto. I think we've got NWHikers outing #2 schedualed here.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 1:43 am 
Heck. we could make it #1 as far as I'm concerned. Except that I figure that hike should be late in the summer. We dont have to wait that long for our other suggestions. TB hmmm.gif tongue.gif winksmile.gif

Larry

Larry
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 5:14 pm 
Bungee Boy wrote:
It's been a few years since I was in the Silver Lake area to climb Redoubt and Spickard but I think the Depot Ck. approach is a decent approach to get to Silver Lake. On one weekend trip, of three, I was solo and bivied at the pass above Silver Lake then the next morning climbed Spickard via the East ridge and was home by late afternoon. Oh ya, home at that time was Bellingham. I hope to get in there this early summer to climb the Mox's and if I do I'll report on the state of the Depot Ck. approach.
Hey Bungee: Do you have a topo with the Depot Creek route superimposed? I would sure love to look at it. And no...not to worry...I won't be tellling a bunch of people about this...

Bungee Boy

Bungee Boy
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 10:31 pm 
Larry, The Depot Ck. route is a cross-country route of about 5 miles and is described in the RED FRED Beckey guide as well as on the Mt. Redoubt USGS Quad. In 96' 97' the trail was follwable 95% of the way with a few sketchy spots due to overgrowth, brush, and talus. There is an old 1981 map out there that Fred Beckey compiled made that covers the international area of Wash/BC. from Chilliwack,BC to Ross Lake. Depot Ck. flows into Chilliwack Lake about a mile before the end of the road and at a hairpin turn there's an old logging road that heads SE towards the border. Depending on vechile clearance will depend on how far you'll drive then park and hike the rest of the way to the border monument (obelisk) #65 at the border swath. The trail continues from here, just keep your nose to the ground in the sketchy spots. Don't know on the current state as it's been 6 ish years since I've been in there.

Ever Upwards
Larry

Larry
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 8:25 am 
BB: Thanks very much. Certainly seems like a substantially easier way to get to Silver Lake than fighting Silver Creek from Ross Lake! I really appreciate the nice description. Thank you for sharing it.

Bungee Boy

Bungee Boy
PostTue Mar 11, 2003 5:57 pm 
Larry, If you visit www.bivouac.com and sign up for free you can get a great updated decription of the Depot Creek trail. Just search for "Depot Creek".

Ever Upwards